Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Purchasing a Bag

Default Re: Purchasing a Bag

oh there's a PC show coming up? Ok thanks, I'll wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by megain View Post
    oh there's a PC show coming up? Ok thanks, I'll wait and see.
    yes, it starts today

K13 marketing has good pricing for bags... you may want to take a look?

if I have the time then I will. Thanks for the tip!

I'm using a lowepro photosport 200.
    The camera area fits 1 camera and 1 lens.
    There is space to fit all kinds of crap like a small tripod, extra clothing, food, water bottle, a small tent, a pair of skis etc.
    Only thing it cannot fit is a laptop. Not even my 13" zenbook.

Opens from the side so you can release 1 shoulder strap and swing it to your side to bring out the camera. I use it with a quick release plate that can be mounted on the shoulder strap/belt for added convenience.

I use it when I go hiking/biking etc. Fits snugly over your back with many adjustable straps. Not as comfortable as a Deuter but good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by megain
    Interesting... I visited Funan today and compared some bags. I realised those that I'd prefer(slingbag, not too big as I don't have much gear) are unable to fit my tripod(Sirui R1204).
    The kinray looks pretty nice but the price tag...not so.
    I saw this bag called the Manfrotto Agile V. Anyone heard of it? Looks pretty decent when I was at the shop. o.o
    The Vanguard uprise 34 caught my eye too.
    It's true, there are just too many to choose from.
    Ok I'm thinking of this: Can hold my D3100 + 55-200 with maybe 2 more lenses, can hold an umbrella and a water bottle and is cheaper than $150. Any bag you guys know that fit the bill?
    I think you try lowerpro inverse 200 cost less than 105

Well you can try SLRR or even go to Cathy Photo to browse thru.If not you might wana try Orient Photo at SLS.Cheers!

I am using either a flipside sport 15L or flipside 300. These two are quite light weight.

SLRR offers these two bags at a lower rate.
    You may go and view if you want.

I'm sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm still at a loss on what to buy. The streetwalker that I tried a few days ago had a great build and everything I needed...except that it's quite costly. Currently it sells at $190(almost the price of my tripod!) and that's the biggest deterrent. It has 2 pockets for accessories, much more than sufficient space for my gear, a tripod strap option(great!), and is durable and comfortable. It even has life-time warranty!... just that it's pricey.

On another note, I realised the Crumpler 5m home had the perfect size for my gear(and future gear), but it meant that I had to carry along a tripod bag and I would have no space for an umbrella.(I'm really perplexed why so few camera bags do not have some accessory compartment. What happens when it rains? Isn't the umbrella like a MUST when going out?) The crumpler is going for around $120 which is reasonable imo but has only a 1 year warranty.

To reiterate, I plan on having in future, a D7000 + 18-55 kit + 35mm f1.8 + 55-200mm + maybe a macro lens and maybe some small ext flash, probably only carrying the first 3 items around. For the next 2 or 3 years, the equipment would probably look like: D3100 + 18-55 kit + 35mm f1.8. I don't do any studio work, just random outings to some parts of Singapore. Walking and shooting. So which bag would you recommend? Or are there any other bags in between those 2 above that would serve more optimally? Truthfully, if the Streetwalker is about the same price as the crumpler, it's a sure buy for me. What are your opinions?

1) Everything fits your requirement but too expensive. Well, i believe if one really want it. He/she will work hard/save hard and make sure they get it. Afterall its $190. not 1900 or 19k..(its really not that hard..You can dis-agree with me but just my 2 cents.) Otherwise, you can continue to look for alternatives. Im sure there are many out there. Keep looking ! Sorry..cant recommend anything for you because i only use billingham shoulder bags..

2) Talks about future gear is kind of overrated...Who knows what happen after afew years. One might get smaller camera or even more or bigger than he/she thought before or even stop taking pictures entirely. IMO, just buy the bag that is good enough for your current gear or at least something big (in this case, big is usually better than small. Talk about future proof..or able to put other stuffs in as well) and 1 year warranty for bag is already good enough. Many dont even give warranty..

And dont worry..Crumpler are made to last. I have a messenger bag and been using it for 6 years still counting. Everything still there except its not as Orange as it used to be when i first brought it home.

I'm sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm still at a loss on what to buy. The streetwalker that I tried a few days ago had a great build and everything I needed...except that it's quite costly. Currently it sells at $190(almost the price of my tripod!) and that's the biggest deterrent. It has 2 pockets for accessories, much more than sufficient space for my gear, a tripod strap option(great!), and is durable and comfortable. It even has life-time warranty!... just that it's pricey.

On another note, I realised the Crumpler 5m home had the perfect size for my gear(and future gear), but it meant that I had to carry along a tripod bag and I would have no space for an umbrella.(I'm really perplexed why so few camera bags do not have some accessory compartment. What happens when it rains? Isn't the umbrella like a MUST when going out?) The crumpler is going for around $120 which is reasonable imo but has only a 1 year warranty.

To reiterate, I plan on having in future, a D7000 + 18-55 kit + 35mm f1.8 + 55-200mm + maybe a macro lens and maybe some small ext flash, probably only carrying the first 3 items around. For the next 2 or 3 years, the equipment would probably look like: D3100 + 18-55 kit + 35mm f1.8. I don't do any studio work, just random outings to some parts of Singapore. Walking and shooting. So which bag would you recommend? Or are there any other bags in between those 2 above that would serve more optimally? Truthfully, if the Streetwalker is about the same price as the crumpler, it's a sure buy for me. What are your opinions?
    What I suggest is the save up the extra $70 and go for the streetwalker.

Quote Originally Posted by TWmilkteaTW View Post
    1) Everything fits your requirement but too expensive. Well, i believe if one really want it. He/she will work hard/save hard and make sure they get it. Afterall its $190. not 1900 or 19k..(its really not that hard..You can dis-agree with me but just my 2 cents.) Otherwise, you can continue to look for alternatives. Im sure there are many out there. Keep looking ! Sorry..cant recommend anything for you because i only use billingham shoulder bags..

2) Talks about future gear is kind of overrated...Who knows what happen after afew years. One might get smaller camera or even more or bigger than he/she thought before or even stop taking pictures entirely. IMO, just buy the bag that is good enough for your current gear or at least something big (in this case, big is usually better than small. Talk about future proof..or able to put other stuffs in as well) and 1 year warranty for bag is already good enough. Many dont even give warranty..

And dont worry..Crumpler are made to last. I have a messenger bag and been using it for 6 years still counting. Everything still there except its not as Orange as it used to be when i first brought it home.
    hmmm, but many CSers say you should buy a bag/tripod taking into account your future gear...but I can't disagree that the future is unpredictable.

@spree86 thanks for your comment! But the main issue really isn't the money. It's my parents who would otherwise think I'm wasting money. $190 in the non-camera world is really quite a sum and using it to buy a bag may seem excessive. That's why I'm asking if there are alternative bags similar to the streetwalker, just smaller(which leads to it being cheaper since I do not need that much space).

Of course, if many others agree that going for the streetwalker is the best and there are no other cheaper options, then it is time I use my persuasion skills. :P

But the main issue really isn't the money. It's my parents who would otherwise think I'm wasting money.

...there are no other cheaper options, then it is time I use my persuasion skills. :P
    Its easier when your using your own money.

There are lots of cheaper options, like this $5 Safrotto bag on BNS:
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/buy-s...-bag-%245.html

Or this $20 Nikon bag that seems to be brand new in package:
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/buy-s...ather-bag.html

Make do.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

hmmm, but many CSers say you should buy a bag/tripod taking into account your future gear...but I can't disagree that the future is unpredictable.

@spree86 thanks for your comment! But the main issue really isn't the money. It's my parents who would otherwise think I'm wasting money. $190 in the non-camera world is really quite a sum and using it to buy a bag may seem excessive. That's why I'm asking if there are alternative bags similar to the streetwalker, just smaller(which leads to it being cheaper since I do not need that much space).

Of course, if many others agree that going for the streetwalker is the best and there are no other cheaper options, then it is time I use my persuasion skills. :P
    If your parent think that you are wasting money at $190, I feel they will think the same too at $120. Do some part time jobs and earn the money or buy a cheaper bag. For the amount of gear you are bringing out, Canon or Nikon free gift bags would be enough.

It is actually my money btw. Just that they might be worried/flustered if I use it to buy an expensive camera bag(not really expensive imo, but it might be in their opinion). My dad actually thinks $100+ is acceptable, though he prefers it cheaper.

Thanks for helping me search sjackal(interesting signature btw!), but I can't place my confidence in those bags. Also, they most probably will only last for 1-2 years max and I don't quite think having 'Nikon' on the bag is very wise. Also, I usually go for 3-4h photo-hikes so I would prefer something more comfortable on my shoulders.

well...Unless someone thinks otherwise about the Safrotto/Nikon/Canon bags. The second paragraph is just full of assumptions. I have actually never touched those free gift bags before so I'm not sure how they hold up to their not-so-free buddies. I have definitely head praise and good reviews from the bags I mentioned earlier but I'm not sure about the free ones. hmm...

Why would they only last you 1-2 years? How or till what kind of extend do you really abuse the bag and then more expensive not the free gift bags dosent guarantee it will last you longer anyway.

Like i mention before. Im sure there are many option out in the market. But if its that 1. Then just make do with it and move on.

It is actually my money btw. Just that they might be worried/flustered if I use it to buy an expensive camera bag(not really expensive imo, but it might be in their opinion). My dad actually thinks $100+ is acceptable, though he prefers it cheaper.

Thanks for helping me search sjackal(interesting signature btw!), but I can't place my confidence in those bags. Also, they most probably will only last for 1-2 years max and I don't quite think having 'Nikon' on the bag is very wise. Also, I usually go for 3-4h photo-hikes so I would prefer something more comfortable on my shoulders.

well...Unless someone thinks otherwise about the Safrotto/Nikon/Canon bags. The second paragraph is just full of assumptions. I have actually never touched those free gift bags before so I'm not sure how they hold up to their not-so-free buddies. I have definitely head praise and good reviews from the bags I mentioned earlier but I'm not sure about the free ones. hmm...
    The more recent Nikon free gift bags are very good, they are Kata bags afterall. If someone is selling it cheap, its very worth the price.

Free bags don't mean they r lousy and not durable. If they r mainstream brands like lowepro, Kata or vanguard, they are good because it's the same model as you would buy from stores, except that there's a "Nikon" or a brand slapped on it.

Have you looked at Kata or Vanguard brand yet? Thinktank's price is on a high side.

Oh for hiking ah?

How about this Olympus bag for $50? Looks like Fastpack.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/buy-s...200-%2450.html
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

For the bag you going to carry, it depend on the occasion you going.For walking and shooting, I prefer a backpack, it not so tiring when you backpack it.

I have 4 bag,
    1st bag 5m crumpler( free gift from canon) bring it only with 7D and 17-55 on it.
    2nd bag brought from BnS, bring it only with 7D and 17-55 on it, a 100mm lens and a flash.
    3nd bag lowerpro sport 200AW brought from cathay photo( abit regret buying) never think properly when i buy it.
    4th bag ThinkTank StreetWalker brought from TK, one of my favorite bag, it more comfortable than the lowerpro sport 200AW when you backpack it.
    Last edited by amos7511; 7th October 2012 at 03:35 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast