Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Thread: Fast help needed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  1. #1

    Default Fast help needed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    hello all;

    me new here, got some fast qtn need 2 ask for help.

    1.--me using canon EOS888 using flim(need 2 check cos belong 2 my sis), i m taking a moving object such as moving car, moving bike, person walking or moving animal..etc.. most photo i taken is kind of blurr aft developed..
    1a--is my photo setting is wrong?? i hav set to all setting as indicate on e cam itself still cant get a good clear shoot.. why??
    1b--what does all e funtion meant as my sis had misplaced e cam guied.
    av=??
    m=??
    tv=??
    m=??
    gals head symbol=??
    sportsman symbol=?
    hill symbol=??

    2.--what type of flim is best for taking moving object??

    3.--if i post in wrong forum , please redirect moderator.. million thanks.

    really thks a million 2 those who can teach me.

    thanks thanks

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong/Singapore/Brisbane
    Posts
    768

    Default

    1.--me using canon EOS888 using flim(need 2 check cos belong 2 my sis), i m taking a moving object such as moving car, moving bike, person walking or moving animal..etc.. most photo i taken is kind of blurr aft developed..
    1a--is my photo setting is wrong?? i hav set to all setting as indicate on e cam itself still cant get a good clear shoot.. why??
    Probably your shutter speed is too slow and you need to do panning
    1b--what does all e funtion meant as my sis had misplaced e cam guied.
    av=?? Aperture Priority
    m=?? Manual Mode
    tv=?? Shutter Priority
    m=?? guess you mean p Program AE ? (almost = auto mode to me)
    gals head symbol=??
    sportsman symbol=?
    hill symbol=??

    2.--what type of flim is best for taking moving object??
    Try ISO 200 to ISO 400 to give you higher shutter speed

    3.--if i post in wrong forum , please redirect moderator.. million thanks.

    really thks a million 2 those who can teach me.

    thanks thanks

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by latmo
    1.--me using canon EOS888 using flim(need 2 check cos belong 2 my sis), i m taking a moving object such as moving car, moving bike, person walking or moving animal..etc.. most photo i taken is kind of blurr aft developed..
    1a--is my photo setting is wrong?? i hav set to all setting as indicate on e cam itself still cant get a good clear shoot.. why??
    Probably your shutter speed is too slow and you need to do panning
    1b--what does all e funtion meant as my sis had misplaced e cam guied.
    av=?? Aperture Priority
    m=?? Manual Mode
    tv=?? Shutter Priority
    m=?? guess you mean p Program AE ? (almost = auto mode to me)
    gals head symbol=?? portrait
    sportsman symbol=? Sports mode (Fast shutter speed)
    hill symbol=?? Landscape

    2.--what type of flim is best for taking moving object??
    Try ISO 200 to ISO 400 to give you higher shutter speed

    3.--if i post in wrong forum , please redirect moderator.. million thanks.

    really thks a million 2 those who can teach me.

    thanks thanks
    Hope it helps

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by latmo
    1.--me using canon EOS888 using flim(need 2 check cos belong 2 my sis), i m taking a moving object such as moving car, moving bike, person walking or moving animal..etc.. most photo i taken is kind of blurr aft developed..
    1a--is my photo setting is wrong?? i hav set to all setting as indicate on e cam itself still cant get a good clear shoot.. why??
    Probably your shutter speed is too slow and you need to do panning
    1b--what does all e funtion meant as my sis had misplaced e cam guied.
    av=?? Aperture Priority
    m=?? Manual Mode
    tv=?? Shutter Priority
    m=?? guess you mean p Program AE ? (almost = auto mode to me)
    gals head symbol=??
    sportsman symbol=?
    hill symbol=??

    2.--what type of flim is best for taking moving object??
    Try ISO 200 to ISO 400 to give you higher shutter speed

    3.--if i post in wrong forum , please redirect moderator.. million thanks.

    really thks a million 2 those who can teach me.

    thanks thanks
    really thks for reply latmo,

    so which mode/setting should i used?
    what do u meant by speed slow n do panning?
    can explain briefly?

    newbie

  5. #5

    Default

    not a canon user but i think can guess lah.
    gals head symbol=portrait mode gives as large an aperture as possible so that you can have a nicely blurred background
    sportsman symbol=sports mode gives as quick a shutter speed as possible to increase the possibility of freezing the action
    hill symbol=landscape mode uses as small an aperture as possible cos you usually want a deeper depth of field when taking scenery
    try looking for basic photography books ( i had the dummies one and it was pretty useful) or search on the net for info and guides

    as for action, use the highest iso film you can get away with. the higher the iso, the more sensitive the film is to light. so you need to expose the film to light for a shorter time so you can use a faster shutter speed and have a better chance of "freezing" the action rather than getting blurred images. films are available in iso ratings up to 1600 (at least) but usually the trade off is that faster films are more grainy and the picture quality may not be as good. so compromise lor. you can always push or pull a film (check the net).
    you can also pan the subject (ie follow the motion woth your cam so the subject is always in focus but the background is blurred but you'd need a tripod to get the best results.
    can also use the flash to try and "freeze" the action

  6. #6

    Default

    1) CREATIVE MODE
    av- aperature priority = u set the APERTURE value and the camera will automatically set a suitable SHUTTER SPEED depending on the lighting condition.
    tv- shutter priority = u set the SHUTTER SPEED and the camera will automatically set a suitable APERTURE value depending on the lighting condition.
    m- u set both the shutter speed and aperture value.
    SCENE MODE
    gals head = portrait -> camera selects a large aperture so that the background will be blur and the subject and stand out
    sportsman = sports -> selects fast shutter speed so as to freeze the sport action
    hill = landscape -> camera selects a small aperture so that more can be in focus

    AV, TV and M lets u have more control over the picture as compared to SCENE MODE
    if you are not sure as to what aperature or shutter speed to use, then just selectthe appropriate picture in the SCENE MODE.

    For sports photo, a fast shutter speed is essential to freeze the moment or else the moving vehicle becomes blur.
    If the subject is near, flash can help (provided it does not interupt the game).
    A fast film (that is iso 400/800 is recommended)

    2) see above

    3) correct

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Chen
    Hope it helps
    its a start for me. thks jack.

    u got advice for me? wasted alot of film liao n still cant gey a clear shot.

  8. #8

    Default

    try here for info

    http://www.photo.net/learn/

    see the exposure part for help on how to choose your shutter speed etc

  9. #9

    Default

    most importantly, have fun and shoot more it's the only way to learn lor.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong/Singapore/Brisbane
    Posts
    768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by giddygoat
    not a canon user but i think can guess lah.
    gals head symbol=portrait mode gives as large an aperture as possible so that you can have a nicely blurred background
    sportsman symbol=sports mode gives as quick a shutter speed as possible to increase the possibility of freezing the action
    hill symbol=landscape mode uses as small an aperture as possible cos you usually want a deeper depth of field when taking scenery
    try looking for basic photography books ( i had the dummies one and it was pretty useful) or search on the net for info and guides

    as for action, use the highest iso film you can get away with. the higher the iso, the more sensitive the film is to light. so you need to expose the film to light for a shorter time so you can use a faster shutter speed and have a better chance of "freezing" the action rather than getting blurred images. films are available in iso ratings up to 1600 (at least) but usually the trade off is that faster films are more grainy and the picture quality may not be as good. so compromise lor. you can always push or pull a film (check the net).
    you can also pan the subject (ie follow the motion woth your cam so the subject is always in focus but the background is blurred but you'd need a tripod to get the best results.
    can also use the flash to try and "freeze" the action
    tripod panning ? erm ... think using tripod very difficult to pan ... i never use a tripod to do panning before

    i think for moving car 1/200 - 1/250 ISO400 should be enough use the tv mode to set the shutter speed and let the camera to take care of the aperture for you

  11. #11

    Default

    if shutter speed fast enough no need tripod lor. but must nicely track the motion. my hands very shaky one so always not level with the motion

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by giddygoat
    not a canon user but i think can guess lah.
    gals head symbol=portrait mode gives as large an aperture as possible so that you can have a nicely blurred background
    sportsman symbol=sports mode gives as quick a shutter speed as possible to increase the possibility of freezing the action
    hill symbol=landscape mode uses as small an aperture as possible cos you usually want a deeper depth of field when taking scenery
    try looking for basic photography books ( i had the dummies one and it was pretty useful) or search on the net for info and guides

    as for action, use the highest iso film you can get away with. the higher the iso, the more sensitive the film is to light. so you need to expose the film to light for a shorter time so you can use a faster shutter speed and have a better chance of "freezing" the action rather than getting blurred images. films are available in iso ratings up to 1600 (at least) but usually the trade off is that faster films are more grainy and the picture quality may not be as good. so compromise lor. you can always push or pull a film (check the net).
    you can also pan the subject (ie follow the motion woth your cam so the subject is always in focus but the background is blurred but you'd need a tripod to get the best results.
    can also use the flash to try and "freeze" the action
    its already start 2 make me giddy laio giddygoat

    cos i m using autofocus, so i follow e moving object while pressing 2 button half way 2 get 2 focus or relaese it first, press again when i ready 2 take???
    pardon for my confuse qtn.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong/Singapore/Brisbane
    Posts
    768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by giddygoat
    if shutter speed fast enough no need tripod lor. but must nicely track the motion. my hands very shaky one so always not level with the motion
    i normally use 1/10 - 1/30 for day time panning
    1/2 - 1/5 for night time panning ( but never had a fully successful photo before )

    normally i will follow the car for 1sec before i press the shutter

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Interestor
    its already start 2 make me giddy laio giddygoat

    cos i m using autofocus, so i follow e moving object while pressing 2 button half way 2 get 2 focus or relaese it first, press again when i ready 2 take???
    pardon for my confuse qtn.
    this is how i would do it lah.
    focus cam (half press shutter) on the subject and follow it with your cam for a bit to get a feel for its motion.
    then you press down the shutter release all the way even as you keep tracking the motion of the subject. kinda like tracking the target with a laser guided missile lor. after firing you need to keep traking the target wtih the laser until the missile hits. in this case, you track the subject's motion until you feel your shutter close back lor.
    the idea is that cos if you don't track your subject, the subject will actually be moving across your picture's field. that's why you get the blur. if you following it with your cam, what you're trying to do is to keep pace with it so that it does not move along your picture field.
    if you do it right, you get a picture with your subject in sharp focus (except the moving parts like limbs etc lah) and the background will be motion blurred. looks cool lah

    anyway, if you don't mind a static picture (ie the background also not blurred) you just use a very fast shutter speed and the subject should not be blurred liao. eg, if i wanna take someone running, i choose maybe a shutter speed of 1/200 or more. this refers to the time span which the shutter opens and close again. in 1/200 of a second, your subject is likely not to have moved much if at all. the faster your subject moving, the faster the shutter speed you choose lor.

  15. #15

    Default

    If U R trying to freeze the action, so that the subject is sharp, use shutter speed 1/125 and above, if U are using a high speed film, say ASA400 U should be able to go at 1/500 in the day.
    If U try panning, meaning follow through with the subject u r taking, follow the subject by turning yr shoulder, and make sure the subject is always with the frame. The result is, the subject remain sharp and the background blurred. Tis one needs lots of practise.
    Happy Shooting

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by giddygoat
    this is how i would do it lah.
    focus cam (half press shutter) on the subject and follow it with your cam for a bit to get a feel for its motion.
    then you press down the shutter release all the way even as you keep tracking the motion of the subject. kinda like tracking the target with a laser guided missile lor. after firing you need to keep traking the target wtih the laser until the missile hits. in this case, you track the subject's motion until you feel your shutter close back lor.
    the idea is that cos if you don't track your subject, the subject will actually be moving across your picture's field. that's why you get the blur. if you following it with your cam, what you're trying to do is to keep pace with it so that it does not move along your picture field.
    if you do it right, you get a picture with your subject in sharp focus (except the moving parts like limbs etc lah) and the background will be motion blurred. looks cool lah

    anyway, if you don't mind a static picture (ie the background also not blurred) you just use a very fast shutter speed and the subject should not be blurred liao. eg, if i wanna take someone running, i choose maybe a shutter speed of 1/200 or more. this refers to the time span which the shutter opens and close again. in 1/200 of a second, your subject is likely not to have moved much if at all. the faster your subject moving, the faster the shutter speed you choose lor.
    ok thks, a very great help, tik i didnt follow my target .. tats y didnt get clear picture. here comes another qtn, how 2 adjust the shutter speed? can mine sis cam b done?

    qtn follow by qtn haha,.. hope u dun mind..

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Chen
    If U R trying to freeze the action, so that the subject is sharp, use shutter speed 1/125 and above, if U are using a high speed film, say ASA400 U should be able to go at 1/500 in the day.
    If U try panning, meaning follow through with the subject u r taking, follow the subject by turning yr shoulder, and make sure the subject is always with the frame. The result is, the subject remain sharp and the background blurred. Tis one needs lots of practise.
    Happy Shooting
    Hi jack chen, as i ask giddy, how 2 adjust shutter speed?

    ASA400 ?? is film code? kodak or conica is better? i know there is 100, 200 n 400 stated on e cover box of film. is 400 e best for moving object?

    as more advice gien , more qtn pops thru my minds.

    Sorry if i ask 2 simple Qtn. please endure with me.

    thks jack

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong/Singapore/Brisbane
    Posts
    768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Interestor
    ok thks, a very great help, tik i didnt follow my target .. tats y didnt get clear picture. here comes another qtn, how 2 adjust the shutter speed? can mine sis cam b done?

    qtn follow by qtn haha,.. hope u dun mind..
    erm ... on what mode you used to shoot ???

    anyway just switch to Tv mode and there should be a dail to adjust the shutter speed

  19. #19

    Default

    Hello hello;

    if anyone respond to my post, i will gladly treat you to Mac for kopi. Sorry i dun go 2 fancy coffee cafe. i stay in sengkang area, drop me a pm n will gladly respond. oso during kopi can ask for hands on practical hehe.

    Cheeersss....

    err.. for those whose stay far fr east.. if time allow i will find kopi time for you 2.

    keep more advice , tips, experience coming..

    thks a million again..

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong/Singapore/Brisbane
    Posts
    768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Interestor
    Hi jack chen, as i ask giddy, how 2 adjust shutter speed?

    ASA400 ?? is film code? kodak or conica is better? i know there is 100, 200 n 400 stated on e cover box of film. is 400 e best for moving object?

    as more advice gien , more qtn pops thru my minds.

    Sorry if i ask 2 simple Qtn. please endure with me.

    thks jack
    ASA is some old name the common use name now is call ISO
    the higher the ISO speed the faster the shutter speed
    actually ISO 200 is enough if you just want to take a photo of moving car on the road ... but of cos ISO 400 will allow you to have a even faster shutter speed

    btw but not sure i think you have to do some setting at the camera to tell the camera you are using a ISO 200 or 400 film

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •