Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 49 of 49

Thread: Canon 5D mark ii, 5D mark iii or 7D

  1. #41
    Member Ding5678's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    155

    Default

    5d mk2 and mk3 have no built-in flash and uses more expensive EF lenses. While 7D has a built in flash with faster frames per second. But full frame cameras performs better in low light photography coz has better ISO performance. : )

  2. #42
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ding5678
    5d mk2 and mk3 have no built-in flash and uses more expensive EF lenses. While 7D has a built in flash with faster frames per second. But full frame cameras performs better in low light photography coz has better ISO performance. : )
    Is the built-in flash really that important?

    I dunno abt you, but it seems a lot of Canon 7D users tend to 'gravitate' to the L lenses, so your point about the full-frame cameras using more expensive EF lenses isn't really so relevant in Singapore context at least.
    Exploring! :)

  3. #43

    Default Re: Canon 5D mark ii, 5D mark iii or 7D

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    I dunno abt you, but it seems a lot of Canon 7D users tend to 'gravitate' to the L lenses, so your point about the full-frame cameras using more expensive EF lenses isn't really so relevant in Singapore context at least.
    Uh, no.... most of them will gravitate towards the 17-55, since that's a really good EF-S lens that gives the appropriate effective FF range of the 24-70 while being fast, providing IS, and great image quality. The L lenses that 7D users hold are more on the long end, like the 70-200, since, for such range, non Ls can't compare.
    Getting the 8-15 L for crop is not wise, neither is the 17-40 (since the 17-55 is more convenient). The 24-70 would give a good reach, but if you want reach you'd get a 24-105 (it gives IS too). If you're talking about primes, then I suppose you could say they'd go for Ls, but that's because you'd want to maximise your IQ, and any user would do so, regardless of crop or not.
    EOS 7D, EOS 450D | 10-22, 17-55, 70-200 F4 IS | YN465, YN560 II
    Gallery

  4. #44
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Canon 5D mark ii, 5D mark iii or 7D

    I guess your observations and mine differ
    Anyway I'm not saying that 7D users only use L lenses, but that they tend to own L lenses as well, therefore no cost savings compared with owning the 5DM2 and M3.
    You gotta read my post in the context it was written.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wizongod View Post
    Uh, no.... most of them will gravitate towards the 17-55, since that's a really good EF-S lens that gives the appropriate effective FF range of the 24-70 while being fast, providing IS, and great image quality. The L lenses that 7D users hold are more on the long end, like the 70-200, since, for such range, non Ls can't compare.
    Getting the 8-15 L for crop is not wise, neither is the 17-40 (since the 17-55 is more convenient). The 24-70 would give a good reach, but if you want reach you'd get a 24-105 (it gives IS too). If you're talking about primes, then I suppose you could say they'd go for Ls, but that's because you'd want to maximise your IQ, and any user would do so, regardless of crop or not.
    Exploring! :)

  5. #45

    Default Re: Canon 5D mark ii, 5D mark iii or 7D

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    I guess your observations and mine differ
    Anyway I'm not saying that 7D users only use L lenses, but that they tend to own L lenses as well, therefore no cost savings compared with owning the 5DM2 and M3.
    You gotta read my post in the context it was written.
    I partially agree with you regarding the owning of L lenses, but my point is that for the same coverage, 7D users would pick the good EF-S lenses instead of L, because, due the crop factor, there are no L lenses that cover the desired range. Take for e.g. a UWA lens. For FF users, they'd consider 16-35 king. But mount that on a 7D and that's not UWA really... that's just, wide. To get the same effective view, crop users will have to use the 10-22, which, like it or not, is much cheaper. Which is why I said that they'd only get L lenses for the longer end, which, most people would do anyway, since non L telezooms are quite terrible.
    EOS 7D, EOS 450D | 10-22, 17-55, 70-200 F4 IS | YN465, YN560 II
    Gallery

  6. #46

    Default Re: Canon 5D mark ii, 5D mark iii or 7D

    I would also like to add on what I mentioned on the first page:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizongod View Post
    Remember that even if you have the money for a 5D3, EF lenses of the equivalent quality and focal length compared to those on crop cost significantly more. Overall, going FF costs alot more than the same route on crop.

    Take for e.g.: the EF-S 17-55 is the general multipurpose lens for crop (and many have said this one is a hidden L lens). The equivalent is the very reputable EF 24-70 on FF. The price? 17-55 costs $1.5k new. 24-70 costs 2.1k. That's 40% more.
    For UWA, you can get great quality with the EF-S 10-22 on crop, or you can get the EF 16-35 for FF for superb quality. There's a difference between the quality, but check out the price difference too: 10-22 costs 1.1k new, and the 16-35 costs 2.5k. Over double the price.

    Then also, because the crop has a 1.6x "extending effect", you benefit from primes too. An EF 50 1.2L mounted on a crop gives an equivalent of an EF 85 1.2L on an FF (it's about the same field of view. Quality is great too since both are L lenses). The difference in price? 2.4k vs 3.5k. Almost 50% more.
    The point I'm trying to make is that, regardless of owning L lenses or not, for the same effective coverage, crop users will inevitably spend less (whether they like it or not), because longer lenses tend to be more expensive, and thanks to some EF-S lenses being great quality, and cheaper at the same time, despite owning L lenses (or not), overall, it IS cheaper to own a crop sensor camera body compared to an FF.
    EOS 7D, EOS 450D | 10-22, 17-55, 70-200 F4 IS | YN465, YN560 II
    Gallery

  7. #47

    Default Re: Canon 5D mark ii, 5D mark iii or 7D

    The 7D's built in flash could come in handy at times when you don't want to bring (or forgot to bring) a bulky external flash

  8. #48
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Canon 5D mark ii, 5D mark iii or 7D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wizongod View Post
    I would also like to add on what I mentioned on the first page:

    The point I'm trying to make is that, regardless of owning L lenses or not, for the same effective coverage, crop users will inevitably spend less (whether they like it or not), because longer lenses tend to be more expensive, and thanks to some EF-S lenses being great quality, and cheaper at the same time, despite owning L lenses (or not), overall, it IS cheaper to own a crop sensor camera body compared to an FF.
    I guess somewhere along the line, the point I was trying to make got convoluted.
    I am not disputing the point that using an APS-C system (with the appropriate lenses) is likely to be cheaper than a FF system. In fact I am in agreement
    We're sort of 'disputing' from 2 different viewpoints, so let's just leave it at that.

  9. #49
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Canon 5D mark ii, 5D mark iii or 7D

    Quote Originally Posted by nedy77 View Post
    The 7D's built in flash could come in handy at times when you don't want to bring (or forgot to bring) a bulky external flash
    True, but a lot of the time the flash is just not high enough to avoid shadows caused by longer lenses, or not wide enough when used with a UWA.
    Exploring! :)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •