Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Recommendation on an UWA or WA lens for Landscape shooting or Indoor?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    127

    Default Recommendation on an UWA or WA lens for Landscape shooting or Indoor?

    Hi

    Need some recommendation on an UWA or WA lens for landscape shot or indoor shooting? I am looking at the Tokina ATX 11-16mm f2.8, does anyone has any recommendation?

    Thanks!

  2. #2

    Default Re: Recommendation on an UWA or WA lens for Landscape shooting or Indoor?

    you are using FF or crop? What brand of camera you are using? I suppose you are on crop since you suggested 11-16mm?

    For landscape, 11-16mm is a capable lens. Not sure your "shoot indoor" refers to. Group photos or shoot interiors of the home (ie, furniture, decoration and decor) or architecture?

    Depending on your need, a normal UWA can be good enough, if it's for interior or architecture, some may recommend you tilt-shift, but this is a very specialized lens, maybe not so suitable for a newbie.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    127

    Default Re: Recommendation on an UWA or WA lens for Landscape shooting or Indoor?

    Quote Originally Posted by avsquare View Post
    you are using FF or crop? What brand of camera you are using? I suppose you are on crop since you suggested 11-16mm?

    For landscape, 11-16mm is a capable lens. Not sure your "shoot indoor" refers to. Group photos or shoot interiors of the home (ie, furniture, decoration and decor) or architecture?

    Depending on your need, a normal UWA can be good enough, if it's for interior or architecture, some may recommend you tilt-shift, but this is a very specialized lens, maybe not so suitable for a newbie.
    Thanks for your help
    Using D2X and a D90 as a backup. Shooting indoor as in shooting in a house that needs to show space within a compound area and in a cave with high ceiling to show the object to space ratio? ANy recommendation on the UWA besides the 11-16 lens?

  4. #4

    Default Re: Recommendation on an UWA or WA lens for Landscape shooting or Indoor?

    Alpha

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    127

    Default Re: Recommendation on an UWA or WA lens for Landscape shooting or Indoor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Hi Rashkae, i saw that tread, but it doesn't offer much except it reaffirms 11-16 and the other lens being 8-16mm Sigma, just want to find out if there is another alternative? I tried looking at the gallery that was shot by WA or UWA, so just need another opinion before going to get this lens before my travel.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by danskie76

    Hi Rashkae, i saw that tread, but it doesn't offer much except it reaffirms 11-16 and the other lens being 8-16mm Sigma, just want to find out if there is another alternative? I tried looking at the gallery that was shot by WA or UWA, so just need another opinion before going to get this lens before my travel.
    Have you shoot any landscape in sg yet? If you do, you probably will know which suit you better when travel oversea.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by danskie76

    Thanks for your help
    Using D2X and a D90 as a backup. Shooting indoor as in shooting in a house that needs to show space within a compound area and in a cave with high ceiling to show the object to space ratio? ANy recommendation on the UWA besides the 11-16 lens?
    Sigma 10-20 and nikkor 10-24
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

  8. #8

    Default Re: Recommendation on an UWA or WA lens for Landscape shooting or Indoor?

    Quote Originally Posted by danskie76 View Post
    Thanks for your help
    Using D2X and a D90 as a backup. Shooting indoor as in shooting in a house that needs to show space within a compound area and in a cave with high ceiling to show the object to space ratio? ANy recommendation on the UWA besides the 11-16 lens?
    Quote Originally Posted by coolthought View Post
    Sigma 10-20 and nikkor 10-24
    Same here. You can try own brand's Nikkor 10-24mm, or third party, Sigma 10-20mm.

    For third party, I usually prefer Sigma over Tokina. Sigma's main problem is focus issues, but can be negated with calibration or picking newly produced ones with better QC checks. I personally find Tokina having colour fringing issues at wide end and also while wide open, like 11-16mm (crop) and 16-28mm (full frame).

    However, different people have different tolerance limits. The usual advise is, go down the shop to try them, or better, rent both of them for a day, bring it out and test it extensively yourself before making a purchase decision

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    127

    Default Re: Recommendation on an UWA or WA lens for Landscape shooting or Indoor?

    Quote Originally Posted by coolthought View Post
    Have you shoot any landscape in sg yet? If you do, you probably will know which suit you better when travel oversea.
    I shot in film before, and now i am using 18-55mm kit lens that come with the D90. My film was F80 with 24-70mm Sigma and now i am thinking of getting a wider one for landscape.

  10. #10
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Recommendation on an UWA or WA lens for Landscape shooting or Indoor?

    Quote Originally Posted by danskie76 View Post
    I shot in film before, and now i am using 18-55mm kit lens that come with the D90. My film was F80 with 24-70mm Sigma and now i am thinking of getting a wider one for landscape.
    Tokina 11-16mm should serve you well... actually for around S$7XX, you could also get a Tokina 12-24mm which is a fabulous piece of glass. I have one and loved it to bits. Currently being one of my sharpest lens around, might not be as wide as the 11-16mm, but I find 12-24mm range much better for my style of photogaphy and I sometime do not even change lenses and uses it as my workaround lens.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    127

    Default Re: Recommendation on an UWA or WA lens for Landscape shooting or Indoor?

    Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Tokina 11-16mm should serve you well... actually for around S$7XX, you could also get a Tokina 12-24mm which is a fabulous piece of glass. I have one and loved it to bits. Currently being one of my sharpest lens around, might not be as wide as the 11-16mm, but I find 12-24mm range much better for my style of photogaphy and I sometime do not even change lenses and uses it as my workaround lens.
    Hi Rhino

    Thanks! I will go check out and rent it 12-24mm lens. Nikon lens or Sigma? i believe i saw a sigma lens at 12-24mm. I am scourging the internet and google to compare quality on these WA lens.

  12. #12
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Recommendation on an UWA or WA lens for Landscape shooting or Indoor?

    Quote Originally Posted by danskie76 View Post
    Hi Rhino

    Thanks! I will go check out and rent it 12-24mm lens. Nikon lens or Sigma? i believe i saw a sigma lens at 12-24mm. I am scourging the internet and google to compare quality on these WA lens.
    I mean Tokina 12-24mm f4. A very good lens, love it alot.



    http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/tokina_12-24_4_n15
    Last edited by rhino123; 28th May 2012 at 05:59 PM.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  13. #13

    Default Re: Recommendation on an UWA or WA lens for Landscape shooting or Indoor?

    Indoor got a lot of things you can shoot, do be more specific. If it's purely landscapes and architecture, then the 11-16 might be a better option than 12-24. If you want a more general purpose wide angle lens then I would prefer the 12-24 (this depends on individual preference, some people prefer 11-16 for the wider aperture)

    Tokina lenses are built like tanks and offer very good image quality, but as avsquare has pointed out, Tokina lenses do tend to suffer from CA, and it is quite significant compared to similar lenses from other brands. You must decide what you want your lens to be able to do, and work around its limitations. No lens is perfect; you gain some, you lose some.

    Ultimately, the photographer is a key factor in determining what the tools can do. Whether you want to shoot test shots to emphasise the limitations of the lens or to shoot actual shots that show the capabilities of the lens, is up to you. The equipment can be the limitation, but don't let minor differences sway your opinion over the usefulness of the tools. There is one member on this forum that uses supposedly the worse UWA lens available on the market now - the Tamron 10-24, and he still produces work that is far better than many of the members here.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Recommendation on an UWA or WA lens for Landscape shooting or Indoor?

    JuzaPhoto - Sigma, Canon, Tamron and Tokina APS-C Wide-Angles, a simple comparison. Though it does not include Nikon's offering and 12mm UWAs, I still find it useful to compare popular third party UWAs.

    Or u can read their reviews (more scientific) here: All Tests / Reviews, Photography Equipment Reviews and google.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Recommendation on an UWA or WA lens for Landscape shooting or Indoor?

    JuzaPhoto - Sigma, Canon, Tamron and Tokina APS-C Wide-Angles, a simple comparison. Though it does not include Nikon's offering and 12mm UWAs, I still find it useful to compare popular third party UWAs.

    Or u can read their reviews (more scientific) here: All Tests / Reviews, Photography Equipment Reviews and google.

  16. #16
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Recommendation on an UWA or WA lens for Landscape shooting or Indoor?

    Quote Originally Posted by danskie76 View Post
    Hi

    Need some recommendation on an UWA or WA lens for landscape shot or indoor shooting? I am looking at the Tokina ATX 11-16mm f2.8, does anyone has any recommendation?

    Thanks!
    Tokina 11-16 is a good lens. My go to lens when I was still on cropped sensor cam body. And no... I do not find the zoom range restrictive. And yes, I really dig the F2.8 max aperture. I am already on my 2nd copy of the lens. finally have to let this go again.

    In the end, a lens is only a tool. How you make use of it to get the pictures you want, is pretty much up to you.

    Following all shot with Tokina 11-16.

    Landscape
    http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4023/4...7fb50938_z.jpg
    http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7055/6...49defd24_b.jpg

    Architecture
    http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4090/5...0516f53e_b.jpg
    http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4087/5...f195c607_b.jpg

    Indoor
    http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2697/4...bae_z.jpg?zz=1
    Last edited by daredevil123; 29th May 2012 at 08:40 AM.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    127

    Default Re: Recommendation on an UWA or WA lens for Landscape shooting or Indoor?

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Tokina 11-16 is a good lens. My go to lens when I was still on cropped sensor cam body. And no... I do not find the zoom range restrictive. And yes, I really dig the F2.8 max aperture. I am already on my 2nd copy of the lens. finally have to let this go again.

    In the end, a lens is only a tool. How you make use of it to get the pictures you want, is pretty much up to you.

    Following all shot with Tokina 11-16.

    Landscape
    http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4023/4...7fb50938_z.jpg
    http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7055/6...49defd24_b.jpg

    Architecture
    http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4090/5...0516f53e_b.jpg
    http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4087/5...f195c607_b.jpg

    Indoor
    http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2697/4...bae_z.jpg?zz=1

    Thanks daredevil. Gonna look and do my research, i probably go rent one or buy one instead. Thanks for your recommendation.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    127

    Default Re: Recommendation on an UWA or WA lens for Landscape shooting or Indoor?

    Quote Originally Posted by chiangkxv View Post
    JuzaPhoto - Sigma, Canon, Tamron and Tokina APS-C Wide-Angles, a simple comparison. Though it does not include Nikon's offering and 12mm UWAs, I still find it useful to compare popular third party UWAs.

    Or u can read their reviews (more scientific) here: All Tests / Reviews, Photography Equipment Reviews and google.
    Thanks Chiangkxv!

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    127

    Default Re: Recommendation on an UWA or WA lens for Landscape shooting or Indoor?

    Quote Originally Posted by chiangkxv View Post
    JuzaPhoto - Sigma, Canon, Tamron and Tokina APS-C Wide-Angles, a simple comparison. Though it does not include Nikon's offering and 12mm UWAs, I still find it useful to compare popular third party UWAs.

    Or u can read their reviews (more scientific) here: All Tests / Reviews, Photography Equipment Reviews and google.
    Thanks Chiangkxv!

  20. #20
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: Recommendation on an UWA or WA lens for Landscape shooting or Indoor?

    Quote Originally Posted by danskie76 View Post
    Hi Rhino

    Thanks! I will go check out and rent it 12-24mm lens. Nikon lens or Sigma? i believe i saw a sigma lens at 12-24mm. I am scourging the internet and google to compare quality on these WA lens.
    Hi danskie76

    The Sigma 12-24 mm is a full frame lens, the second version is probably better corrected for digital sensors.
    Sigma has a pretty neat Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6 for APS-C sensors, covering an almost equiv width of a 12mm on FF

    Ryan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •