Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: How to view your photo ?

  1. #1

    Default How to view your photo ?

    Folks, how or what you use to view your photo ? I mean, when I view tru my cam live viewer, the photo was ok n clear. Obviously, it's too small to see the `defect' and so I zoom all the way in and finally see the blur parts of my photo. Then I transfer to my PC and see via Windows Live Photo Gallery. Of course, when I zoom in to fullest, there are blur portion too ! Next, I view on my LED 42" HD TV and the photo was much better.
    My question is, should we zoom all the way to view the actual quality of a photo or simply view as it's (no zoom) ? Different visual display unit (e.g. TV screen, PC monitor, cam live viewer etc) show different quality. Haiz, which is the 1 to determine a good photo ?

  2. #2
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: How to view your photo ?

    On my Nikon, I set the center control depress once to view image at 100%, so I able to confirm sharpness instantly.

    Once load into PC, I will zoom 100% in lightroom, to decide too keep or too discard,
    and when I do detail touch up with photoshop, I will zoom in 300% to do a clean job, then zoom out 100% to make sure I didn't miss any spots.

    of course you need to have your monitor calibrated first.


    I don't use Windows Live Photo Gallery to view photos, that is for people who are not particular about how the photos turn out to be.

    you can use Nikon ViewNX, is a freeware that come in the CD with Nikon camera, you can also download from Nikon site too.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  3. #3

    Default Re: How to view your photo ?

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    On my Nikon, I set the center control depress once to view image at 100%, so I able to confirm sharpness instantly.

    Once load into PC, I will zoom 100% in lightroom, to decide too keep or too discard,
    and when I do detail touch up with photoshop, I will zoom in 300% to do a clean job, then zoom out 100% to make sure I didn't miss any spots.

    of course you need to have your monitor calibrated first.


    I don't use Windows Live Photo Gallery to view photos, that is for people who are not particular about how the photos turn out to be.

    you can use Nikon ViewNX, is a freeware that come in the CD with Nikon camera, you can also download from Nikon site too.
    Hi
    Cant believe an experienced reader to answer my newbie question !! Pai seh, I juz started DSLR photography in Feb; hence still a newbie; & hence also the following question, what is 'center control depress' and how to use it ? FYI, I'm also a Nikonian (D5100) & proud to be 1
    Am I right to say that 1 only need to view photo @ 100% unless wish to do editing ? No point to zoom to fullest ? E.g. no need to zoom x8.1 on cam view finder and more than 300% on PC ? Ok I'm gng to install Nikon ViewNX now.
    Thanks for your advice !

  4. #4
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: How to view your photo ?

    Quote Originally Posted by cjtks View Post
    Hi
    Cant believe an experienced reader to answer my newbie question !! Pai seh, I juz started DSLR photography in Feb; hence still a newbie; & hence also the following question, what is 'center control depress' and how to use it ? FYI, I'm also a Nikonian (D5100) & proud to be 1
    Am I right to say that 1 only need to view photo @ 100% unless wish to do editing ? No point to zoom to fullest ? E.g. no need to zoom x8.1 on cam view finder and more than 300% on PC ? Ok I'm gng to install Nikon ViewNX now.
    Thanks for your advice !
    go beyond 100% zoom view the image will be pixelated, you can't tell whether the image in sharp focus beyond this point.

    when in computer, what I referring to zoom in till 300% is for retouching, that is not for checking sharpness.

    sorry, mine is D300 and D700, just check the D5100 user manual online, it seem D5100 can't set any custom function, I guess you need to depress zoom setting button a few time to zoom in till reach 100% zoom view.

    hope this help.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  5. #5

    Default Re: How to view your photo ?

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    go beyond 100% zoom view the image will be pixelated, you can't tell whether the image in sharp focus beyond this point.

    when in computer, what I referring to zoom in till 300% is for retouching, that is not for checking sharpness.

    sorry, mine is D300 and D700, just check the D5100 user manual online, it seem D5100 can't set any custom function, I guess you need to depress zoom setting button a few time to zoom in till reach 100% zoom view.

    hope this help.
    Thanks ! I appreciate yr constructive comments ! O ya, juz send u a PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •