Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Work in Singapore and live in Johore

Default Re: Work in Singapore and live in Johore

Quote Originally Posted by NineEleven View Post
    I'm in KL as it's the capital & things are better here but security is still for the privileged.
    My KL home got broken into last year. Even before that incident I did not feel safe in KL - so many cases of armed robbery, burglaries, sexual assaults etc that you get numb.

You guys have to understand that when we enter a country, it's their language & culture so please respect it. Govt issues, post office, banks, docs etc are all in Malay as it's their national language. The problem is Singaporeans like to carry our mindset over & start comparing because it's so covenient. What do you do when you land in Japan, France, Germany?
    Get used to the general culture of inefficiency and needing extra money to get things done.

Quote Originally Posted by cks2k2

My KL home got broken into last year. Even before that incident I did not feel safe in KL - so many cases of armed robbery, burglaries, sexual assaults etc that you get numb.

Get used to the general culture of inefficiency and needing extra money to get things done.
    Cant even trust their police. How to stay there?

My life is more impt than money......

Quote Originally Posted by cks2k2 View Post

Sigh. It's a privilege as mentioned. Some of my clients have their homes burglared & some held hostage, few are even Datuks! That's why we stay in areas with tight security & hire a bodyguard.

Quote Originally Posted by donut88 View Post

It's not that bad. Like all cities, there are places you don't want to go.
    "Like Moths, photographers gather at the sight of light" Robert Doisneau
    My Little Port

Have plans for retirement there.. 

Btw my blur dad and his friends went into the motorbike lane in Malaysia Immigration center and LL pay a fee yesterday.

I rem many years ago I did the same, but over at Singapore. Got a tick off, open a gate ask me Do a big U turn.

Some of my clients have their homes burglared & some held hostage, few are even Datuks! That's why we stay in areas with tight security & hire a bodyguard.
    Good. Now you can go around shooting with bodyguard carrying your camera bag and tripods.

Sigh. It's a privilege as mentioned. Some of my clients have their homes burglared & some held hostage, few are even Datuks! That's why we stay in areas with tight security & hire a bodyguard.
    You must be a bigshot to have bodyguard.

It's funny, I have 2 Malaysian colleagues originally from Johor who recently became new citizens. They could have just worked here and stay in Johor, but chose to migrate to secure a better future for their children.

Quote Originally Posted by cks2k2 View Post
    You must be a bigshot to have bodyguard.

It's funny, I have 2 Malaysian colleagues originally from Johor who recently became new citizens. They could have just worked here and stay in Johor, but chose to migrate to secure a better future for their children.
    Not @ all. My guard costs Rm4500 & charged to my company but most of the time I travel without him. It'll be silly to bring a guard & eat @ makmaks.

Govt education is only good till SPM (O levels) as their system automatically disfavours other races for national degree courses but there are plenty of private colleges now.
    My Little Port

Not @ all. My guard costs Rm4500 & charged to my company but most of the time I travel without him. It'll be silly to bring a guard & eat @ makmaks.
    4.5k is pretty good value.

Govt education is only good till SPM (O levels) as their system automatically disfavours other races for national degree courses but there are plenty of private colleges now.
    Eh MY o-lvl standards have been dropping for years. My generation from 80s always joke that either the kids these days are geniuses (the record is 21 A1s - yes 21) or it's really watered down.

An American told me that he was provided 2 bodyguards while working in Pakistan/Afghanistan region and that he was afraid of the attention it attracted. He explained that it made him an obvious worthwhile target for kidnap or killing. Especially the guards' indiscreet Rambo style actions in public.

u are correct. no one stay at JB. the last statistics show 0 resident in JB.

Quote Originally Posted by wong_se

u are correct. no one stay at JB. the last statistics show 0 resident in JB.
    The thing is that in SG, you can walk down the street to the coffee shop or any shop even at dead of the night, without worrying abt muggers and robbers.

Can u do that in JB? You won't never walk on JB street, even on day light, not to even mention nighttime.

The thing is that in SG, you can walk down the street to the coffee shop or any shop even at dead of the night, without worrying abt muggers and robbers.

Can u do that in JB? You won't never walk on JB street, even on day light, not to even mention nighttime.
    But need to watch out spanking Ferrari or Lexus....one accelerate 0-100 in less than 4s and the other one too quiet until driver won't hear you scream

Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna

But need to watch out spanking Ferrari or Lexus....one accelerate 0-100 in less than 4s and the other one too quiet until driver won't hear you scream
    Lol!!!

You won't never walk on JB street, even on day light, not to even mention nighttime.
    of course you will not walk on JB street. in JB, no one lives there. it has zero human. why u want to walk on ghost town ?

Quote Originally Posted by wong_se View Post
    of course you will not walk on JB street. in JB, no one lives there. it has zero human. why u want to walk on ghost town ?
    You don't want to walk around courting danger there.

You just want to float around safely.

Can visit JB for eating and shopping.
    Living there is taking a chance. Most of the time nothing will happen to you and your family.
    Sometimes, luck runs out and things happen. Never say it will never happen to you or your family.

A gang of three armed robbers chopped off the left arm of a car repairman in Johor Baru because he did not have enough money on him.
    Mans hand chopped off by angry robbers

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    She's very lucky & must be thanking Gods!

These are real stuff. Recalls an incident many years ago where a pretty woman came back to KL with her S'pore husband. She was mugged in Bangsar SC, drove to a secluded place, raped, killed & body burnt. Polis somehow caught up with the murderer but can't remember how he was tried. Too late then. So now most of the better malls have guards in carparks but wonder if they are trained for anything.

Used to do that in the old city near Merlin tower where they had fleamarket & you'll feel thousand prying eyes on you in this "thieves" market. As mentioned, just be normal & dress like a local, won't get you into trouble. When I go to Europe, sometimes locals would ask me for directions. Don't stand out like a sore thumb.

Singapore is a rather safe haven that we take for granted.
    My Little Port

She's very lucky & must be thanking Gods!
    These are real stuff. Recalls an incident many years ago where a pretty woman came back to KL with her S'pore husband. She was mugged in Bangsar SC, drove to a secluded place, raped, killed & body burnt. Polis somehow caught up with the murderer but can't remember how he was tried. Too late then. So now most of the better malls have guards in carparks but wonder if they are trained for anything.
    Oh that case. No one expected it to happen in high-class Bangsar.
    The murderer has been hanged IIRC.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast