Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Will You Buy For Event Photographer ? D 800 or D 800E

Default Re: Which Will You Buy For Event Photographer ? D 800 or D 800E

I understand that the D3S is no longer available for order from Nikon SG. However can still see the odd unit here and there in some of the "less popular" shops.... Used unit seems to be the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye View Post
    Another 4k to save memory space and processing time? I don't feel it's worth the ROI.. D3s is arguable though.
    TS did not mention he got a budget so I recommend the D4 and D3.

Talk about ROI, hehehe.

Quote Originally Posted by rain5533 View Post
    Ha ha agree with you.

If the customer enquiry for needed large print?
    Then how? To be processing another 4k an get D800.

This time dunno when can be recover your bank
    I was printing large A0 prints with 6mp D70 plus post cropping. The trick is viewing distance.

Event photos are not used for large commercial quality prints. They are used for speed. If the client wants big prints with pixel peeping quality the business minded photog sells the client another dedicated real shoot for that purpose of large prints - that is how to work the bank and then we are talking about ROI.

There can be a niche area for artistic & heavily DI-ed event photography with the D800.

Depends on your style of shooting and requirements. Do you need large prints? Do you like to spam shots to capture the precise moment?

With D800's 36MP, the FPS definitely is not enough if you like to do continuous shots during some action. Would recommend D3S or D4 for this.

Actually D4 is the best choice but there's the issue with budget... price is approx double of any of the other models in consideration
    D3S, 50mm F1.4, 16-35mm

Quote Originally Posted by CedricChan View Post
    Depends on your style of shooting and requirements. Do you need large prints? Do you like to spam shots to capture the precise moment?

With D800's 36MP, the FPS definitely is not enough if you like to do continuous shots during some action. Would recommend D3S or D4 for this.

Actually D4 is the best choice but there's the issue with budget... price is approx double of any of the other models in consideration
    Going by the questions, the options listed were D800 vs D800E, both 36MP, doing big prints or not, I think the ball is no longer in our court as Nikon is forcing the 36MP down your throat regardless you like it or not.

Seeing the output from D800 and D800E, I'd say D800 is more suitable for events. That's just me. Given that the D800 is a vast improvement over the older D100, I'd say it's sufficient for very general types of events even sports. D100 was on 3fps, 6mp and a CAM900 AF module. It sufficed enough for events back then, given D800's specifications, I'd say it'd outweigh the requirements for events.

Only downside is, the 36MP. Memory has never been a pain til now.

Actually this thread for now has more & more info with detailed.

But don't forget you still can grab the 2nd hand D700 if really needed to shoot like sports?

The option for D800 as good for event, wedding, some indoor photograph.

Also can added your wish list 70-200mm F2.8G VR2 as well
    Last edited by rain5533; 25th May 2012 at 10:02 AM.

Blog Entries

In the end, the biggest question TS must answer is... what is the ROI like... no point getting D4 or D3s, if TS is going to shoot $200 events or $700 full day weddings.

Always do your numbers. And figure out what you can afford. Then work from there. In the end, if you want to make money, you must make sure you make the right first steps in your spending...

As for D800 or D800e, do note that you need to shoot at faster shutter speeds compared to D700 due to its unforgiving nature. That one stop or so in ISO improvement is somewhat negated by that also to a certain extent. So choose wisely, and select the right weapon for the job especially for events or AD weddings.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 25th May 2012 at 06:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rain5533

Ha ha agree with you.

If the customer enquiry for needed large print?
    Then how? To be processing another 4k an get D800.

This time dunno when can be recover your bank
    Less worries on large print, if you have client that's rich and willing to spend, such as doing large print, you could earn enough from them to afford a D800 eventually.

No doubt D4 and D3s has event/wedding/sports photographer written all over it, but D800, with experience in doing event, can do a good job too. A D700 would be even better due to its price (especially 2nd hand) just that D800 gives you more options if you need them. Price of D4 is just too high a cookie jar to reach...
    Last edited by Cowseye; 25th May 2012 at 09:18 PM.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

Blog Entries

Less worries on large print, if you have client that's rich and willing to spend, such as doing large print, you could earn enough from them to afford a D800 eventually.

No doubt D4 and D3s has event/wedding/sports photographer written all over it, but D800, with experience in doing event, can do a good job too. A D700 would be even better due to its price (especially 2nd hand) just that D800 gives you more options if you need them. Price of D4 is just too high a cookie jar to reach...
    How large is large? I have seen people doing very very large prints when people are still much older equipments several years back... I wonder how they managed to do it without D800?

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123

How large is large? I have seen people doing very very large prints when people are still much older equipments several years back... I wonder how they managed to do it without D800?
    The easiest example will be a wall size photo in a HDB flat versus a bill board on a building, the later can be done with older equipment while D800 will deliver a more satisfactory result for the earlier case

Distance of view from the print matters a lot

Blog Entries

The easiest example will be a wall size photo in a HDB flat versus a bill board on a building, the later can be done with older equipment while D800 will deliver a more satisfactory result for the earlier case

well, how do people view pictures? as a whole or walk in close to look at one square inch? Even with wall prints in restaurants, people will stand back and see. TS already stated he is looking to shoot events and the occasional wedding... I think D800 will be overkill.

Not sure about what kind of events TS will be covering... but the ones I covered, the images used are small web sized versions.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 26th May 2012 at 03:32 PM.

I don't think event photos are usually hung on HDB flats...

Higher frame rate is more important than resolution in event photography IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by brapodam
    I don't think event photos are usually hung on HDB flats...

Higher frame rate is more important than resolution in event photography IMO.
    I feel it is only to a certain extend. D800 might be lacking what D700 has and potentially has, but it is still sufficient. Unless it's sport events which I will turn to D700 with enel-4a grip at least.
    Last edited by Cowseye; 26th May 2012 at 09:45 AM.

I feel it is only to a certain extend. D800 might be lacking what D700 has and potentially has, but it is still sufficient. Unless it's sport events which I will turn to D700 with enel-4a grip at least.
    It's just my personal preference, but I prefer to shoot in burst mode when capturing action shots during events. With only 3 FPS it is quite pointless (this is of course compared to the D700 frame rate). Plus, I don't want to flood my card and computer with huge files when I shoot in burst mode, so I'd rather use the D700 for events.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12