Thread: Dry box got problem ?

Default Dry box got problem ?

Hi Csers
    Have a slight problem here... please enlighten me thanks

I just bought a dry box. And i know that the humidity level for cameras should be btw 45 to 55 but the humidity level in my dry box is always changing.
    today it is this level and tmr it is another.
    Will the camera spoil when it the humidty level is at 30+ or above 55 ?
    and is it normal for humidty level to drop or raise ?
    So i ought to turn the knob now and then just to change the humidity level?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tootytoot
    Hi Csers

I just bought a dry box. And i know that the humidity level for cameras should be btw 45 to 55 but the humidity level in my dry box is always changing.
    Thanks
    Recommended is around 40+ I think.. Did you open and close the dry cabinet ? If so, of course it will raise and drop..
    -Express yourself not in words-
    http://www.majere2sg.com

Hi Csers

Thanks
    Which brand u purchased huh? For my Digi Cabi 20L, once I set the knob to a level, it would usually take half a day b4 it stablised at tat level....mine nw hover at ard 50-51%...heard fr other users tat the RH may cont to drop if the door is nt open for a long time...sbut so far I try dun open door for a wk it still seem stable...

Based on the user manual, the recommended RH is ard 45%-55%....if set 2 low RH in the long run, the lubricants in the cam may drop up....if set 2 high, fungus may form also...

btw u might want to do a salt test to check whether ur hydrometer is accurate anot....mine is off by ard 4%...

The humidity level vary also depands on your room temp. my wan also keep changing about +/ - 2 % dairly, and I had use it for 6yrs, nothing wrong with it.

The humidity will takes time to Stabilize.
    From 1 to 2 days.
    IMHO, I think if inside jam pack with lot of stuff with take 2 days

Turn your humidity control mid range and wait 1 to 2 days and then do minor adjustment to your require humidity (every adjustment will require 1 to 2 day)

Hope this help

Aiyah this is not a scientific equipment. No need to be so accurate one. If you open the door the reading will change. If you keep it shut for a long time the reading will change too. You can never get the 'accurate' reading that you want. Don't be too overly concern about it. However don't make it too dry though.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyer2
    also keep changing about +/ - 2 % dairly,
    Agreed with you.

so once i know the range of the knob then i just leave it there ?
    even though the humidity raise too high ?
    and btw how to do the salt test ?

on the topic of dry box, i just got mine at cathay just now. was lookin for the digi cabi tat was on offer ($99) but they dun sell.

anyways bought the only brand they had which was AKARUI 35L... just got it out of the box.
    My question is .. should there be a gap between the door and the cabinet? shouldnt it be closed shut??? i noticed a small gap when i closed de door. im using scotch-tape to seal the door shut so that there is no gap.... any advice? or is it normal... my first dry cabinet...

thanks for any advice...

Quote Originally Posted by z122
    on the topic of dry box, i just got mine at cathay just now. was lookin for the digi cabi tat was on offer ($99) but they dun sell.

anyways bought the only brand they had which was AKARUI 35L... just got it out of the box.
    My question is .. should there be a gap between the door and the cabinet? shouldnt it be closed shut??? i noticed a small gap when i closed de door. im using scotch-tape to seal the door shut so that there is no gap.... any advice? or is it normal... my first dry cabinet...

thanks for any advice...
    Gap? It should be airtight. Dunno bout the design of it but if there is a gap, can it be airtight? The door should be something like a fridge's door, use magnet to create an airtight seal.

Damn... i knew it... doesnt make sense to have a gap. defeats the whole purpose huh??!!!

gona call them up tomoro.. hate it when u buy something and it aint rite. guess i should have checked it 1st. it was in de box and i didnt wana take out and have to reseal... now look wat has happened.. lesson learnt!!!

ok found de reason. de latch is loose.. so it doesnt shut the thing tight.. darn!!

not gona try to tighten it; probably gona call them up tomoro. defintitely de scotch-tape wont be a permanent solution.... wat a drag...

Damn... i knew it... doesnt make sense to have a gap. defeats the whole purpose huh??!!!

gona call them up tomoro.. hate it when u buy something and it aint rite. guess i should have checked it 1st. it was in de box and i didnt wana take out and have to reseal... now look wat has happened.. lesson learnt!!!
    Ooops! This kind of thing happens once in a while if you lazy to inspect it on the spot. Sometime heng, sometime suay.

You sure its not the design? But it doesn't make sense if you need to use tape to seal it.

its de latch... tried to bend it in but the piece of metal too hard. dun wana damage it.... just in case needs to be exchanged which most probably does...

hmm..they open at 1030am... call them up then...

lucky my d70 so far so good.. tho i almost dropped it after 30mins in my possesion..
    sigh..tot tomoro can keep my new baby aka d70 in de dry cabi.. looks like de trusty old dry box wif silicon gel... i mean silica... hehe

its de latch... tried to bend it in but the piece of metal too hard. dun wana damage it.... just in case needs to be exchanged which most probably does...

hmm..they open at 1030am... call them up then...

lucky my d70 so far so good.. tho i almost dropped it after 30mins in my possesion..
    sigh..tot tomoro can keep my new baby aka d70 in de dry cabi.. looks like de trusty old dry box wif silicon gel... i mean silica... hehe
    Wah, gotto lug it back to CP. A bit troublesome! Remember to inspect the new one on the spot.

so once i know the range of the knob then i just leave it there ?
    even though the humidity raise too high ?
    and btw how to do the salt test ?

If the RH is still too high den adjust abit den wait a day like tat to stablize...if still cannot den adjust abit again....continue adjusting till u get the desired RH...

The salt test ahz...actually I also learn if from somebody in clubsnap as well....u use those small mineral water's bottle cap, put a pinch of salt in it..ard half filled the cap...den put few drops of water on it to wet it....wet it ONLY.....dun mix salt water.. ....den u find a small ziplock or small air tight container to put the cap of salt and ur hydrometer in it...den seal it and let it stablize for ard 8 hrs....it should stablize at 75% RH...from the RH shown on ur hydrometer u would know ur hydrometer off by hw much liao....

u can also try searching in this forum to get more info on it.....hope it helps~!