Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Can you live without Windows?

Correct me if I am wrong please, but, last I heard, the servers at Microsoft run Linux
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    OK lah. AT&T System V then
    hey! i grew up on this ok?

Quote Originally Posted by markccm
    BSOD is Blue Screen Of Death
    mac has the SBOD
    swirling ball of death...

Quote Originally Posted by madmacs
    hey! i grew up on this ok?
    you remember how they had to use a VMS program (guess who wrote it) to read and rewrite a BSD4.2 tape so the System V can read it?

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo
    Correct me if I am wrong please, but, last I heard, the servers at Microsoft run Linux
    I remember hearing something like that too the last time. What a farce if its true.

Miscrosoft use Akamai service. Akamai use linux servers. Microsoft web servers are still windows with IIS

Quote Originally Posted by Wai
    what quick image viewer u recommend for Mac?

tried photo mechanic, i want something like ACDSee
    You can try ViewIt. Not quite ACDSee but it's close enough. You can drag and drop a folder of hundreds of images to it and it won't choke.

Regards
    CK

Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    you remember how they had to use a VMS program (guess who wrote it) to read and rewrite a BSD4.2 tape so the System V can read it?
    maybe the system v guy didnt know how to write a program to read the tape

eh...once i used system v to write a tape so that some gov organization's mvs could read it - ascii -> ebcdic conversion included

somehow vms never did grow on me the way unix did.

Are you referring to microsoft.com? They should be running datacenter. Definitely MS based. You can check by looking at the URLs, they are often .mspx which is XML.NET based web pages.

Quote Originally Posted by showtime
    mac has the SBOD
    swirling ball of death...
    I'm not a mac user but i thought it just freezes occasionally. Which OS version does this?

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    I've used MS prodocts from Dos 3.1 right up to WinXP pro and the irritating BSOD gets me to no end. DOS was a lot more stable than the windows line. Then during my uni-days.. I was exposed to mandrake and red hat(Linux).

Wow..I was so impressed with what they have and almost everything is user-configurable.

I'm slowly taking up the Linux path again. As long as there's a need for a driver, the Linux community will produce one soon enough for everyone. I've already abandoned IE becos of the frequent attack scares. I'm using opera and firefox. Next I'll be going over the Linux way.
    Hey I need your help. I can't find drivers for my Benq DVD DD DW1620 drive. It's a DVD re-writable drive. Where is the best place to look for it. I also can't find drivers for the Linksys wireless card.

Quote Originally Posted by henavs
    i'm using XP at home, OS X at office & manage FC2 web servers on my leisure time...

I still prefer XP above all. It has come a long way from buggy piece of crap to one of the fastest & stable OS...sure, its still crashes like there's no tomorrow...but its much much better now...In fact I have less crashes on XP than I have with the OS X on my PowerMacG5...

Honestly, I can't live without windows...
    What I do is after installing all the base software, I create a ghost partition just in case. All the data is on the other drive.

Quote Originally Posted by ckiang
    You can try ViewIt. Not quite ACDSee but it's close enough. You can drag and drop a folder of hundreds of images to it and it won't choke.

Regards
    CK
    i tried this one out, the speed is good but there's no capacity to auto-rotate images for display based on EXIF orientation info.

up till now i haven't found a good OSX substitute for the very quick and easy windows-based EXIF Image Viewer freeware.
    eyes | head | feet | flickr | APAD: straight from camera

this is very old news when Microsoft just bought over hotmail. Hotmail was running linux servers so Microsoft did one of the biggest migration projects by moving from linux to microsoft OS. this has become one of the case studies.

it's amazing how rumoours spread with little information.

Quote Originally Posted by chaotic
    this is very old news when Microsoft just bought over hotmail. Hotmail was running linux servers so Microsoft did one of the biggest migration projects by moving from linux to microsoft OS. this has become one of the case studies.

it's amazing how rumoours spread with little information.

Agree.. Time to crush the rumour or ill-truth. Still remember it was rocketmail then. 1997? I was in uni at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by varf
    i tried this one out, the speed is good but there's no capacity to auto-rotate images for display based on EXIF orientation info.

up till now i haven't found a good OSX substitute for the very quick and easy windows-based EXIF Image Viewer freeware.
    It doesn't but my D100 doesn't have rotation info in the EXIF anyway. Somehow, for some reason, good image viewers for OS X isn't plenty. I wonder why.

Regards
    CK

Quote Originally Posted by maddog
    Agree.. Time to crush the rumour or ill-truth. Still remember it was rocketmail then. 1997? I was in uni at the time.
    correction.. rocketmail went to yahoo mail, not hotmail.

Quote Originally Posted by quekky
    Miscrosoft use Akamai service. Akamai use linux servers. Microsoft web servers are still windows with IIS
    as an addendum to quekky's comment, here's an article on the subject:
    www.microsoft.com runs Linux? Up to a point ...

Quote Originally Posted by ckiang
    It doesn't but my D100 doesn't have rotation info in the EXIF anyway. Somehow, for some reason, good image viewers for OS X isn't plenty. I wonder why.

Regards
    CK
    Picasa is good and free and can read EXIF BUT........ it's only available in good ol' windows platform.

I guess the reason is that the market for windows software is larger so developers tend to target the windows platform first, then mac will be an afterthought.

Quote Originally Posted by chaotic
    Picasa is good and free and can read EXIF BUT........ it's only available in good ol' windows platform.

I guess the reason is that the market for windows software is larger so developers tend to target the windows platform first, then mac will be an afterthought.
    The irony is that the Mac has always been used for all these imaging stuff, but only very few good image browsers exist.

Regards
    CK

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast