Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Can you live without Windows?

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Actually windows isn't that bad, it's really good, they keep coming out with patches to fix it within short frames of times.

You hardly find fixes for UNIX anyway...
    I take it that u're being sarcastic abt it...

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    I take it that u're being sarcastic abt it...
    You got it Heehee

Quote Originally Posted by maddog
    that's the thing, you have to struggle, and at the end of the struggle what do you get?
    Ultimate satisfaction that you are independent and free of the evil clutches of Microsoft. That u are now versed in a mainstream and an alternative software, that you know and understand that there's other softwares beyond Microsoft, that u took a step out of ur own comfort zone....

Think I'd better stop before I tok philosophy.

I have both a Powerbook and a Windows PC, I tend to like the Mac a bit more but I don't really hate Windoze. Both has their own pros and cons, tho the Mac tends to be much more stable.

I used to have a hard time finding an ACDSee equivalent for the Mac (the Mac version of ACDsee can't make it) but I've found a good image viewer recently. Almost everything else like PhotoShop, etc are available on the MacOS platform.

I think the Mac makes a good alternate platform for Windoze haters. Linux still needs quite a bit of technical expertise to properly support it, and doesn't look as pretty.

Regards
    CK

Deregistered

Yup, coz i am a Mac user

i love my powerbook~~

BSOD?? wat the hell is tat?!?! :P

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by hackie
    i love my powerbook~~

BSOD?? wat the hell is tat?!?! :P
    BSOD is Blue Screen Of Death

it will still take a long while before pc is no longer synonymous with windows. Windows has come a long way.. its servers are far better than they were before, I can only expect them to come out with better OS in the future.

Good computing habits plus habitual patching can make windows work well too.

BTW, i own a mac too and I love it..hahaha, but I have absoulutely nothing against windows.

ps Going open source is a good thing... we should all go open source...

Deregistered

I'd still rather run my servers & DB of UNIX than windoze...

yes i can live without windows! problem is my employer cant.

so no choice..can only live without windows after work.

Quote Originally Posted by Amekaze
    But if you think about it, if another OS takes over, it will definitely be in the same position Windows is in now.
    not entirely true. everyone who used a REAL operating system (yes, that even includes UNIX) will know, for example, that it is non-trivial to attach a code fragment to an executable file, and still expect the checksums on the code sections to match.

the problem with windows, is that it is built primarily to service a single user. hence the concept of restricted privileges, access rights, etc are hard to implement without making it impossible for the moms and pops to use. but when that user is also by default the administrator, *bingo* you have a huge security hole right there.

actually is there really viruses for UNIX? worms and so on yes, but REAL viruses?

Windows have become part of most peoples' life.

I can live without windows. But not without doors. Just hate climbing up the roof to come into the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    I can live without windows. But not without doors. Just hate climbing up the roof to come into the house.
    HAhaHAhhaaaaaaa....... nice one.

Sure .... windows is buggier than it's free brother... but i think we all can't deny it's usability and user friendliness.

Another win for Unix. CS servers are definitely NON windows..
    and so is at least 70% of the servers in the datacentres i've been to.

Blog Entries

i'm using both platforms out of necessity. my wife needs winXP as MOE configures everything in windows OS, even their secure e-mail. so, on my PB, she can't read her mails. heck, she can't even access her e-mails using mozilla!

i like mac OS becos its intuitive. but, its a real PITA becos a lot of my software cannot be used on it. i have to go round hunting for the mac versions. now, i got a bigger headache becos my PB dun seem to like to talk to my linksys wireless router... argghh...
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

To tell you the truth I have been waiting for a substitute for Windows for a long long time. I am sick of Windows but till today I cannot find an alternative OS that can let me run ALL my current appliccation without problems with drivers etc. This includes games, video editing software, Sound editing software, and many other stuffs. So for now I have not dual but multiple boot on my PC. This include DOS, Win95, Win98, Win200, Win XP, Linux. You may ask me what the hell for? I need it for my work. If not I would just not bother to go to all this trouble.
    Last edited by jbma; 7th January 2005 at 09:33 AM.

most softwares are made for MS Windows, very few would make for Linux/UNIX as they don't see the market for it. Most of all, branded computers are 90% pre-installed or comes with MS Windows. This alone had monopolized the computing world with a bang. Maybe in the future, there'll be more GNU compliance softwares.

Quote Originally Posted by Drudkh
    most softwares are made for MS Windows, very few would make for Linux/UNIX as they don't see the market for it. Most of all, branded computers are 90% pre-installed or comes with MS Windows. This alone had monopolized the computing world with a bang. Maybe in the future, there'll be more GNU compliance softwares.
    Yeah it's the monopoly that pisses me off. To think that Microsoft has made billions and yet their software prices are way too high for home users is really frustrating. This is one major cause of software piracy.

though i am in the IT industry, i can live without email, computer and even mobile phone easily

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast