Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Thread: Recommendation on protecting the camera shooting in a sand storm?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    127

    Default Recommendation on protecting the camera shooting in a sand storm?

    Hi
    I need some advice on how to protect the equipment beside taping plastic to the body and lens to protect the equipment while shooting in a place where potential sand storm or excessive dust? Looking at a more effective ways to do it.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Recommendation on protecting the camera shooting in a sand storm?

    Quote Originally Posted by danskie76 View Post
    Hi
    I need some advice on how to protect the equipment beside taping plastic to the body and lens to protect the equipment while shooting in a place where potential sand storm or excessive dust? Looking at a more effective ways to do it.

    Thanks!
    Best protection is to not shoot at all...

    You can also wrap the camera in a plastic bag...

    Seriously, why do you want to shoot in a middle of a sand storm? I would run for my life.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 22nd May 2012 at 05:08 PM.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    127

    Default Re: Recommendation on protecting the camera shooting in a sand storm?

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Best protection is to not shoot at all...

    You can also wrap the camera in a plastic bag...

    Seriously, why do you want to shoot in a middle of a sand storm? I would run for my life.
    I am going on a mission trip to Myanmar to some of the remote orphanages, and to raise awareness for the kids (from the Karen tribes) in Singapore. So one of the orphanages is a really dilapidated place and very very sandy, so there are occasional sandstorm. So i need to prepare to protect the gear and shoot. Be going there on the 3rd week of June , which is a windy season in that particular place.

    That's the reason. Was looking around tips and guides online, they only recommended plastic bags and i have no idea how to even use that.... So need more expert recommendations here.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    127

    Default Re: Recommendation on protecting the camera shooting in a sand storm?

    I am bring 2 bodies + 4 lens + 1 flash and a laptop. Besides not changing lens in the middle of the shooting will help abit.

  5. #5
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Recommendation on protecting the camera shooting in a sand storm?

    Quote Originally Posted by danskie76 View Post
    I am going on a mission trip to Myanmar to some of the remote orphanages, and to raise awareness for the kids (from the Karen tribes) in Singapore. So one of the orphanages is a really dilapidated place and very very sandy, so there are occasional sandstorm. So i need to prepare to protect the gear and shoot. Be going there on the 3rd week of June , which is a windy season in that particular place.

    That's the reason. Was looking around tips and guides online, they only recommended plastic bags and i have no idea how to even use that.... So need more expert recommendations here.
    When there is a sand storm, please hide somewhere and keep your camera.

    when it is windy in the sand area, plastic bags works. How to use... first thing first, you need two holes in the bag.. a bigger one for the lens to shoot out of.. and a smaller one for your viewfinder... secure the edges over the holes to the camera by using gaffer tape.

    Most of the rest of us, just shoot as per normal, careful not to zoom too much unnecessarily...

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    127

    Default Re: Recommendation on protecting the camera shooting in a sand storm?

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    When there is a sand storm, please hide somewhere and keep your camera.

    when it is windy in the sand area, plastic bags works. How to use... first thing first, you need two holes in the bag.. a bigger one for the lens to shoot out of.. and a smaller one for your viewfinder... secure the edges over the holes to the camera by using gaffer tape.

    Most of the rest of us, just shoot as per normal, careful not to zoom too much unnecessarily...
    Thanks! Will try out before i go there. My friend said his gear is protected without Plastic bags. (He is using Canon 60D) but not for Nikon. hmm O well i will 'design' my plastic bag first and try out before the trip. Thanks!

  7. #7

    Default Re: Recommendation on protecting the camera shooting in a sand storm?

    If you are really that enthusiastic...can get those "water resistant" covers for cameras and then use when shooting during the sandstorm.

    The problem is the fine sand that can somehow get into the most weather resistant of cameras.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

  8. #8
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Recommendation on protecting the camera shooting in a sand storm?

    Quote Originally Posted by danskie76 View Post
    Thanks! Will try out before i go there. My friend said his gear is protected without Plastic bags. (He is using Canon 60D) but not for Nikon. hmm O well i will 'design' my plastic bag first and try out before the trip. Thanks!
    erm... for some models of Nikon are weather sealed as well... I shoot Nikon and have shoot at sand dunes area quite a number times.. I never had to tape or wrap anything... Which Nikon bodies and lenses are you using?

  9. #9

    Default Re: Recommendation on protecting the camera shooting in a sand storm?

    Actually if you don't change lens in the middle of the storm, all should be fine. Sand particles are not small enough to seep into the camera body

  10. #10

    Default Re: Recommendation on protecting the camera shooting in a sand storm?

    Quote Originally Posted by nedy77 View Post
    Actually if you don't change lens in the middle of the storm, all should be fine. Sand particles are not small enough to seep into the camera body
    isn't that obvious you wouldn't want to change lenses during a sandstorm?

    also sand is one thing. dust with the sand is another

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    127

    Default Re: Recommendation on protecting the camera shooting in a sand storm?

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    erm... for some models of Nikon are weather sealed as well... I shoot Nikon and have shoot at sand dunes area quite a number times.. I never had to tape or wrap anything... Which Nikon bodies and lenses are you using?
    Hi Daredevil123, i am using D2X, and D90. Lens: Kit lens for D90 (17-55mm), Tamron SP 28-75 f2.8, and SP 70-200mm f2.8, Nikon 50mm f1.8. Will be having my 50mm on D90, and 70-200 on D2X body.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    127

    Default Re: Recommendation on protecting the camera shooting in a sand storm?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    If you are really that enthusiastic...can get those "water resistant" covers for cameras and then use when shooting during the sandstorm.

    The problem is the fine sand that can somehow get into the most weather resistant of cameras.
    Thanks Reportage, that is my concern as well.

  13. #13
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Recommendation on protecting the camera shooting in a sand storm?

    Quote Originally Posted by danskie76 View Post
    Hi Daredevil123, i am using D2X, and D90. Lens: Kit lens for D90 (17-55mm), Tamron SP 28-75 f2.8, and SP 70-200mm f2.8, Nikon 50mm f1.8. Will be having my 50mm on D90, and 70-200 on D2X body.
    you are using 17-55 or 18-55? 18-55 is the kit lens, so I assume you are using 18-55.

    The biggest concern is actually not the camera bodies, but the lenses. Because lenses (especially zoom lenses) move in and out a lot when zooming or focusing. None of your lenses are weather sealed lenses. And most of them will let sand/dust into the camera through space between the inner and outer barrel.

    But do know that you really only need to think about all this if it is indeed very windy or in a real sandstorm. Most of the time when a little windy, we hide our cameras inside our coats/scarves, only to reveal them when some quick shots. That should be fine. Some sand/dust might get in... but nothing a trip to service centre cannot fix.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    127

    Default Re: Recommendation on protecting the camera shooting in a sand storm?

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    you are using 17-55 or 18-55? 18-55 is the kit lens, so I assume you are using 18-55.

    The biggest concern is actually not the camera bodies, but the lenses. Because lenses (especially zoom lenses) move in and out a lot when zooming or focusing. None of your lenses are weather sealed lenses. And most of them will let sand/dust into the camera through space between the inner and outer barrel.

    But do know that you really only need to think about all this if it is indeed very windy or in a real sandstorm. Most of the time when a little windy, we hide our cameras inside our coats/scarves, only to reveal them when some quick shots. That should be fine. Some sand/dust might get in... but nothing a trip to service centre cannot fix.
    Thanks! Ya it is 18-55. Got it. i may get a cloth or scarf ready and handy, just in case there is a sudden wind gust, i will just cover my lens. Sorry another noob question, how much will a trip to the service centre to clean and maintain the gear cost on the average?

  15. #15
    Member JohnJon82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Lavender
    Posts
    453

    Default Re: Recommendation on protecting the camera shooting in a sand storm?

    I always thought weather sealed camera and lens fear no elements. Good advice from pros.
    Canon EOS 600D | 17-40 L | 24-105 L | 100 L | 50mm 1.8II | BG-E8

  16. #16

    Default Re: Recommendation on protecting the camera shooting in a sand storm?

    Alpha

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    127

    Default Re: Recommendation on protecting the camera shooting in a sand storm?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Yes i will shoot nevertheless.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Recommendation on protecting the camera shooting in a sand storm?

    Quote Originally Posted by danskie76 View Post
    Thanks! Ya it is 18-55. Got it. i may get a cloth or scarf ready and handy, just in case there is a sudden wind gust, i will just cover my lens. Sorry another noob question, how much will a trip to the service centre to clean and maintain the gear cost on the average?
    It varies from case to case so give the service center a call if you want to know more.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae
    Thanks for the link Rashkae!
    Inspirational!
    Can I do this with my tiny A33?
    Haa!

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    127

    Default Re: Recommendation on protecting the camera shooting in a sand storm?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    It varies from case to case so give the service center a call if you want to know more.
    Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •