Thread: Help on Canon 600D Lens Choice

Default Help on Canon 600D Lens Choice

Hi guys,

I've got a Canon 600D with 18-55mm Kit Lens.

I'll be going on a long trip to Europe (about 6 months) and would like to capture lots of memories on my camera.

The shots that I'd most likely be taking are: Scenery landscape shots, shots of my friends, street shots

Im pretty new here and am wondering which lens upgrade i should get? Maybe a telephoto? Or a 24-70mm?

I don't know the current price for lens but I'd like to get lens that are value for money and affordable and I would still be able to continue using them back in Singapore where most of my shots would be street shots (of friends and others interesting things)!

thank you very much for your help, really appreciate it!

Default Re: Help on Canon 600D Lens Choice

Just use your kit lens. How does it limit you? If you cannot answer how you feel your lens is limiting your photographic requirements, then DO NOT BUY one.

FYI, we have an entire sticky dedicated to "what lens to buy after kit".

As for the price, look at the PRICEGUIDES section.
    Alpha

TS... your 18-55mm kit lens is good enough for most usage. You might consider a 55-250mm lens for your tele needs and perhaps an external flash for indoor shoots.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Whats wrong with your kit lens? If its still in good working condition..means you can still use it. Going on a holiday..(how long or where) dosent mean you need to buy additional equipment. You mention: Scenery landscape shots, shots of my friends, street shots. All of the above can be done with the lens you have now.
    Expensive good/new equipment dosent mean good photo. Think twice before buying. Unless money is no issue to you.

If taking landscape a 10-22 will be good
    Canon 10D/550D /Sigma 17-50mm/Sigma 30mm/Canon 50mm/Sigma 85mm

If taking landscape a 10-22 will be good.
    Canon 10D/550D /Sigma 17-50mm/Sigma 30mm/Canon 50mm/Sigma 85mm

A simple way to know what lens you need most is review all the recent photos you took, check the exif to find out what focal length you use the most, that is the one you need the most, others are just simply you want it, may not be very useable to you.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by tweakmax View Post
    If taking landscape a 10-22 will be good.
    Depends on the landscape...
    Alpha

TS, if by 'upgrade' you mean you want something better than your kit lens but within a similar focal range, then the best bet is the Canon EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS. A cheaper and popular alternative is the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8.

Blog Entries

If you want huge flexibility in terms of zoom... maybe a 18-200. It is very handy for traveling. But you really need to know how you shoot and what you like to shoot. If not, any recommendation here is moot.

TS: whenever you join a forum the basic rule is: whatever you want to ask - chances are that it has been asked before. Frequently Asked Questions like yours are usually summarized in special threads in top of the list. So they stay visible for people joining new. Please take your time and read through what other members have written, gathered, summarized ..
    EOS

Bro, I suggest you go with your 18-55, then come back post a thread in travel and landscape section, and mesmerize all with what the kit lens can do . Just buy a flash if need to and you are good to go

for general shots, your 18-55 will be good enough

if you really want a "all in one", trade in your current lens to the 18-200 for the wide to tele range

i second to Canon EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS or Tamron 17-50mm F2.8.
    ~PeaceNoWar~

18-55 is a decent lens. I recently returned from a weekend getaway to Bintan with a friend who is using the 18-55, and the quality of his shots are impressive.

However, if you do insist on upgrading for the sake of doing so, 17-55 is a good bet.

Actually the 18-55mm is a rather good lens to use unless u need that extra reach,either the 18-135mm or the 18-200mm will do just fine.As for shooting in low light u might want to consider bringing a flash along.But alas,I do recommend the 17-55mm f/2.8 as it is a very fast lens & works great under low light too.Just my 2 cents.Cheers!

Thank you very much to all who responded, i appreciate your comments!

I suggest:

One wide angle lens
    One lens with f2.8 or f1.8 or f1.4 aperture
    One tele lens

in addition to the other great lenses the seniors have recommended (eg 17-55 F2.8) I would recommend an inexpensive 50mm f1.8 as an alternative. it is very very very cheap but very very very fast. (decent performance)
    This lens may save your the trouble of using an external flash too (eats batteries, extra weight, equipment care).