Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Thought

I'm interested too, but i'm a newbie.

IMO, the aim is to shoot things that general tourists wouldn't get to see normally cos they're not recommended to visit those places. I think going along the idea, the end-result would also be rather appealing to foreigners who like to backpack and check out the bits n pieces of the country.

Count me in okie? Time, effort and the little bit of $ is alright with me

Yupz. That's my whole aim. To put another aspect of Singapore forward in photobooks.

I couldn't help but notice most of the brochures are pretty typical, shopping centres, Sentosa-zoo-birdpark. Understand that these are places of interests, but den again besides beating a dead horse over and over, why not show another side of Singapore to the world?

Those Ang Mors doing backpacking trips would prolly be more interested in da lifestyles of da people and stuff like that. Instead of those usual hyped up places, we can show others, a lesser side of Singapore, a place of all the "Lahs and Lohs", where a can of Coke is juz $0.80 and not $1.50, where the fishes are the freshest and u can even push the price even lower with some haggling, where great coffee is 0.60 cents and not the $5 iced mocha with some fancy whipped cream.

Yup, all these little side.

I personally believe why Japan usually attract the attention of foreigners is not only due to their culture, but the beauty of the people as well as the little details in their life which most foreigners don't seem to comprehend.

Aiyah, when u wanna start, quickly decide so ppl can plan and join in. I think we can go ahead with some trials even if you're seriously thinking of liasing with STB. In this case, a kick-start or trial shoot will at least provide something to show STB. Even if they dun accept, we can at least post up these pics to draw in more like-minded ppl

I'll be toking over with da admins soon on this. They seem pretty enthusiastic as well too. Hopefully can get the whole Clubsnap involved as well, ehehehe...

Make it a Clubsnap thing.

Meanwhile keep all those crazy stuff coming, my brain only so big nia, got limit.

The MRT stations itself are interesting enough to shoot especially the new ones. Plenty of artwork.

maybe can do this as CS anniversary? think it's coming soon.

i'm pretty confident that STB will take up the idea

count me in if there's any progress, dun mind helping out in organizing

no need to elaborate, i'm in.

I'm in....

Any snapshot of 'famous' places will look good.
    But it take skills and vision to bring the most banal subject around us alive!

To begin off: I think we we should just take up our camera and start shoot our very own neighbourhood (near mrt).
    Just wake up slightly earlier to catch the golden light during sunrise
    or wake up at the middle of the night to capture the ah bengs talking at void decks.

With your subject nearby, you can plan your shots for the perfect lighting, weather and moment.

p.s. get the photos out before finding sponsors.

Good Idea.

Quote Originally Posted by xieyuqi
    I'm in....

Any snapshot of 'famous' places will look good.
    But it take skills and vision to bring the most banal subject around us alive!

To begin off: I think we we should just take up our camera and start shoot our very own neighbourhood (near mrt).
    Just wake up slightly earlier to catch the golden light during sunrise
    or wake up at the middle of the night to capture the ah bengs talking at void decks.

With your subject nearby, you can plan your shots for the perfect lighting, weather and moment.

p.s. get the photos out before finding sponsors.
    actually i think if the project were to be confirmed, i have a few suggestions...

since its a rather big project (taking pics around sg)

we need a central committee, roughly 5-10ppl max... those are coordinators for areas, like we split sg into mayb 8 sectors or something, den each sector have a leader, so makes up 8 person, den we need a overall chairman, and a secretary (pow ka liao... treasurer also him... )

den we have our individual sectors, each sectors will have their own team of photographers, den about every mrt station, there is 2-4 photographers in a group, they can source for nearby 'places of interest' den take pics, do their own research... den make into a proposal... den combine into a book as a sector... den a encyclopedia when reach the central committee..

central committee members can also become a part of their photography team in their district...

sector leaders will help delegate members around...

photographers should be familiar with the area... either they work in that area, or is living around that area... photographers can also cross boundary if they are familiar with the other areas...

err disregard if u think this is nonsense...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Agree with Del_CtrlnoAlt. First assign someone to design a website and the rest can start shooting for photos.

good point and agreed with del_ctrlnoAlt. THe following views are totally mine and mine along and i mean no offence to anyone reading this.

IMHO, i think some photographers(in my humble and TOTALLY MY OWN viewpoint) will just do it for the $ and the recgonition. the only prob i see in some photogs(i chance upon quite a few of them ever so often at work ) and its my observation that only out of 10, maybe 3 are really still so passionate about the photos. Likewise with every other thing you do, passion is a key point. no passion means ur work will turn out shitty. yet sadly, money is the main driver these days for some people. Its really a double edged sword i feel. then the whole STPB and overseas thing will fail! if u want it to really succeed, compile a book , no bigger than A4, and release it everywhere. QUIETLY. make it such that it becomes a rarity and people who pick up the book will keep it! cos the pictures in it are beautiful and not because its a blatant effort to support various associations or companies.
    Go independant! At least that's where we still get to keep our soul and passion.

Hmm.... Noted about it. Can't deny dis fact, money would be partly a motivator for some ppl. If one were to say, "I do it for da passion." others would look upon dat chap like he's crazy.

I'm not really sure abt organising such stuff, but I'm sure with da support frm all of u guyz and da Admins of Clubsnap, we'll make this photobook a reality! Hopefully with a thought come true, many of ur skills will 'power up' and with the experience gathered u'll one day be able to make and publish ur own photobook!
    Last edited by jsbn; 7th January 2005 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    Hmm.... Noted about it. Can't deny dis fact, money would be partly a motivator for some ppl. If one were to say, "I do it for da passion." others would look upon dat chap like he's crazy.

I'm not really sure abt organising such stuff, but I'm sure with da support frm all of u guyz and da Admins of Clubsnap, we'll make this photobook a reality! Hopefully with a thought come true, many of ur skills will 'power up' and with the experience gathered u'll one day be able to make and publish ur own photobook!
    A very interesting concept, please count me in! Don't need to worry too much about the commercial bit of it, I think you can still easily maintain creative control even if the STPB can be convinced to sponsor this to a degree.

Cheers,

Blog Entries

I hate to do this, but lets scale the expectations down a bit otherwise if the plan becomes too grand, I am afraid it will not take off.

For a start, why don't we do a trial shoot first, then we expand on the concept.

I would strongly suggest that the result of the shoot be published on the web (don't worry about webspace - we have loads to spare), and use that as a jumping board to propose to sponsors.

Here is what I think we need to consider (and if anyone feels differently, please speak up) - for each location to be covered, we need to firstly brainstorm what makes that location interesting, and/or what landmarks are there that would be of note. Then subdivide the landmarks/locations into a) "shoot pics only" and b) "shoot pics and develop background" story

And then, probably have to visit/re-visit the location(s) several times over a few days (or even weeks) to get best angles and lighting.

For example, lets say we select Chinatown MRT as the trial location (which is probably a good location given that its decorated this time of year), we all sit down to decide where and what to shoot like
    a) street decorations, street scenes, celebrations
    b) notable locations like Yue Hwa's shop, People's Park
    c) famous (or infamous) shops - eg food, clothing, etc.

There are probably more categories that we could list down, those are just off the top of my head.

And since we are going to put the "articles" and photos on the web, it can be a living document with updates from time to time.

jsbn, how bout start small and make it a web-only project first, then when you have enough good materials, then only submit the proposal to STB for the book project. Reason is creating a book project is a lot of work. While web-only project is easier to manage. Clubsnap can help to create a seperate site to host the page.

Besides photos, you will need a good write up on the photo/location, to provide more and detailed information and directions to the visitors.

I think most visitors/backpackers will search on the web for resources first and probably get a book later. So start a web-only project first, when you have enough good materials, then go for book

just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Darren
    I would strongly suggest that the result of the shoot be published on the web (don't worry about webspace - we have loads to spare), and use that as a jumping board to propose to sponsors.
    to add on to Darren's point and to play devil's advocate (since i got a wee bit experience in the publishing sector), the book idea at this point in time is not really a feasible idea. there's a fair bit of research and homework that needs to be done as well, and the whole concept needs to be thought thru carefully, in terms of timing, costs (especially costs if sponsors are involved), commitment, target audience, scope, and so on.

i agre with Darren, ortega and some of the others in that perhaps it'll be better off as a web project first. it'll give you something to show sponsors what you are trying to achieve instead of giving them a grandiose proposal. sponsors and orgns like STB need something concrete to base on, cos they get tons of proposals asking for support. start small but think big. few of us are published photographers so we don't have a reputation to depend on other than a whole lot of enthusiasm and ideas.

the other thing is, pen down a very simple proposal - the lang doesn't matter. just jot down everything in point form first. write down your objective(s), audience, logistics, possible channels, publicity, marketing, etc etc. you'll be surprised how much clearer it will be when you see it on paper, and how much easier to note where you are lacking or what's missing in the plan. ultimately, the potential sponsors would wanna see those as well.

my 2 cents worth. but kudos to jsbn for a creative worthy idea...

Thanks for support frm da bosses.

Of cos, dat grand plan thing is kinda like a by-product of an overworked brain and exhausted mind that came upon me when I was in da MRT. I did not actually sit down to think abt all da grand stuff dat would come along. But when ur brain's not really working at times, u can't tell da diff between reality and practicality. Thus I threw everything in... hehehe...

Thanks Larry and Darren for giving me dat two piaks-piaks to my face. U noe how juz some times u get caught up in ur dream too much and den u lose focus on da original goal that is to focus on da people's activities and life in Singapore.

Really excited into seeing this take-off.

Well said all! Like what i've commented earlier on, just quickly kick start with some trial shoots. I think along the way more things will pop in and then naturally let the scale enlarge. Right now the more important thing is strike while the iron is hot. Do it man! Do it. Else if we wait somemore, it'll be CNY and perharps then the fire has gone down and ppl are busy.

IMHO, remember we wanna capture some things that are out of the norm. Quoting the example of Chinatown (for CNY period). Perhaps we can also take into considerations other places (which normally don't ring the bell to you when you mention CNY). This then will draw us out into places ppl normally don't see or remember and we bring it out. Else... it may just end up rather similar to what STB has already done

Whether STB is in the pic or not is of little concern now cos jsbn didn't mean to cater to that in the first place. It's for our PASSION! I volunteer to kick off with some trial shoots first with my humble Canon S1. Anyone wanna join me?

I already have some sunrise and sunset pics shot from my living room window from my aging fuji 4900

For the range wise, instead of having just a fixed 5-10min walking distance it can also be 5-10mins bus ride or drive. Then we can name it the 5-10min book (lousy name but the rough idea is there) as long as we can get to the place within 5 to 10mins from the station. Cos I know some more ulu areas of singapore that offer really nice heartland feel like empress road (reach within 10 mins drive from commonwealth mrt).
    Last edited by yanyewkay; 7th January 2005 at 06:48 PM.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast