Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Used mountain bike recommendation!

Quote Originally Posted by plinius
    holy cowz!!! Spinergy wheel!!!!!
    Ya...the last pair too and it was just before the company terminated all this graphite wheel due to some rumour of how many riders experience total breakage while riding and casuing some serious face-pizza with the road or trail. But I have yet to get any hint of problem with them all this years. ( touch wood) I have bunny hop on them with so much fear but have since could not care less man. heheh...This one is the light weight titanium hubset. From what I heard as a rumour, these later sets were very well re-enforce in a kiasu manner to make up for the rumour and accusation it got but unfortunately the fear that went around during that time....kill this wheel project. Pity really...I would not mind another pair. It has a sweet ride to it. I have a superlight mavix wheelset but somehow I find myself with this set on my bike most of the time.

And yes I do of course ride the Changi Coastal Road "tour" man. I stay in the East Side too heheh. From Tanjong Rhu to the jetty it is already 8km, then to Tanah Merah it will be about another 5km and then the 10km stretch to Changi Point. And then back down again. It is a great place to ride man...till the cross wind hit you or comes from your front..than you really have to pace yourself or you burn out. In my early days of riding that road before the new jetty, Golf course and more reclamation work...your nightmare is the pack of wild @#$% dogs. So silent they run up to you from the forest and then they jump out from the trail/forest track onto the main road...and they sometime don't bark! I got my share of scare from them man.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmrsia
    Oops after seeing the pic and reading the discussion here about the brands you guys are into, me thinking twice whether my old made in taiwan bike can join your cycling trips...
    Aiyo...see. That was why I was very hesitant about posting but since someone asked and to show it is not just all talk and no show that was why I did. If that make folks uncomfortable, I would gladly take it down.

I usually ride alone and I ride at night and sometime late. My choose to buy my bike is not for show. It is not what I call an " Orchard Road Bike" meaning I never ride it to crowded places to show off. Beside who are you trying to showoff to? Girls are more interested and would know a BMW or Mercedes then a bicycle.

As I said, I have been riding some of the worst taiwan made bike you can think of. They were so bad I broke them easy within 6 months of riding. I can tell you this...I love riding for the freedom and how I am able to, on my own leg power, get to places even cars can not go and the lifestyle it gave me when I take it into the trails like Malaysia or Batam to ride. I get that feel still with my present bike but I am sure I will still have that same feeling with something less costly.

I am more fussy with the person who rides then the bike he/she owes. Ill manner, bad riding habit and no road courtesy irks me the most.

Quote Originally Posted by plinius
    heh..actually i have seen one downhill bike with big nokian tyres at Tiong Hin before...cost a bomb too ... ard 20k or more..imported from Germany or something....and it weighs a TONNE!!!!!

Pei Fu the guy who cycled from his house to Tiong Hin or anywhere!!!!!
    Could it be a Karpiel? They not built just for downhill in summer...but winter downhill on snow! And tend to be pretty expensive when it comes to accessorising it.

or maybe a Foe? This would be my favorite brand to get beside Intense if I was living in the US and have mountains where I stay heh Anyone remembers John Tomac? heh.

These are all pretty heavy clunkers as most extreme downhill bikes goes. I personally am not into full suspension downhill bikes for Singapore. Too heavy and saps your energy during a ride. But good for show lah...or a complete loony fan. heheheh

sammy888, looks like you are into deep knowledge about this bike thing after all the bike specs maybe you can recommed a good cycling route...

dun worry,my mongoose is also made in taiwan.

i'm quite experienced riding on the road after riding a motorbike for 11yrs..
    i always check back once in a while and stop to give way to filtering vehicle or bus..

Time to shed some fats!
    One reason I cycle is to shed some...to explore places...and now to snap too.

sammy888, looks like you are into deep knowledge about this bike thing after all the bike specs maybe you can recommed a good cycling route...

Aiyo...I got no fixed route man. I go where I feel like heading. These days I don't go too far given my work. Epic ride around island will only be something I do only after I have spend at least a few month to condition my body for the ride. Usually a night ride is my favorite. Some might view it as being more dangerous but there are less cars in the night and also I tend to be more alert when I ride in the night.

Being in the east like me, you could plan a route from your home with the best route to either East Coast Park or Pasir Ris. I would advise to ride from the lagoon area and head towards the PA camp site and beyond where the Safra Golf Course is located. Between the PA camp site and the Golf Course, there is a nice park which is seldom access by people on foot as it is out of the way. Only those with cars can get that. This is a nice place to ride around. There is a sailing club located there too. Photo taking? heheh That area has less alot less irritating reckless walkers, bladers and yes...cyclists too. Should be some pretty interesting things to shoot around the area too.

Avoid all the town areas and satellite town with all the shopping malls. Too many people blinded by the shopping bug, cheong chabor bug..etc.....looking everywhere but the path they are walking on. Beside, the bike is suppose to bring you to places you don't normal have access to thus urban places are not the place to be...well unless you want to shoot something there lah heh.
    You will be surprise about one thing as you start to cycle more and meet more folks who are into the same thing, you will discover places you never know existed in Singapore!

There is also this group of people who are into biking around. They are mainly made up of westerners working here who holds special cycling trips all over Singapore. Usually, it only last 20km. It can be either very fast pace or a very interesting relax ride where you might even go through obstacles heh. Go to this website to get more details below. They usually only as for a $10 fee to cover certain cost. They also plan over seas trips too. If you are not too shy and would love to mix it up with locals and foreigners, this is a great group to join. Others that might end up cycling with you are from those you befriend at the bike shop or just by riding. And then you usually will meet up like at the Jetty on certain days at set time and when a big enough group meets up you tend plan a route and off you all will go like one long convoy. I use to join groups going to Changi Point to eat and drink kopi after a long ride via Changi Coastal road.

Right now like for our fellow forummer, Kex, who just bought a bike to lost weight. I can tell you know...for now, that is the "plan" but if you dont add more zest to the ride like join a group, shoot picture, find reasons for taking the bike out then just look at it as means to loose weight. I can tell you, within a few months...that new bike will be collectiong dust and rust at home. Eventually, to lose weight, you can not just do a short ride 3 times a week and then hope it is enough to lose weight. You will have to push yourself abit till it hurt just abit each time..if you don't you will just be an over weight person riding a bike for the duration. You will gain some endurance but you will not be able to lose much weight. I know of guys that is not just fat but smokes..but they can ride and "smoke" me and I end up seeing their hardtail all the time heheh. Why they don't seem to lose weight..I am not sure..maybe they need to push harder...or eat less. Some of those long rides do end up getting you to eat alot. Sometime a round island ride may end up with the group stopping as many as 3 times or more within say an average 6 hours ride. With all the riding, sometime what you eat will all disappear once you get back on your bike to ride further. Well that is just to give you an idea of what kind of rides I usually do.

try this site http://pub33.ezboard.com/bsmbf

not been following it.....

was a 'active' member when it started off, but as it got more popular, things got kind of messy...heh........

cheers....

heh...agree....not easy to lost weight just by riding the bike alone lah.... i din lost much weight during my cycling days...maybe i din cycle hard enuf..or those darn round island ride is just not effective...u ride for some distance and stop for makan...then ride again...heh.....

for me, the next necessory to get is a odometer/speedometer (by CatEye), it will tell u your average spd, current spd, total distance travelled...... knowing how fast and how long u could sustain certain speed on flat road is shiok...heh...not forgetting how fast the bike could go when going downslope also very fun!!

heh

Cheers.....

Quote Originally Posted by sammy888

Right now like for our fellow forummer, Kex, who just bought a bike to lost weight. I can tell you know...for now, that is the "plan" but if you dont add more zest to the ride like join a group, shoot picture, find reasons for taking the bike out then just look at it as means to loose weight. I can tell you, within a few months...that new bike will be collectiong dust and rust at home. Eventually, to lose weight, you can not just do a short ride 3 times a week and then hope it is enough to lose weight. You will have to push yourself abit till it hurt just abit each time..if you don't you will just be an over weight person riding a bike for the duration. You will gain some endurance but you will not be able to lose much weight. I know of guys that is not just fat but smokes..but they can ride and "smoke" me and I end up seeing their hardtail all the time heheh. Why they don't seem to lose weight..I am not sure..maybe they need to push harder...or eat less. Some of those long rides do end up getting you to eat alot. Sometime a round island ride may end up with the group stopping as many as 3 times or more within say an average 6 hours ride. With all the riding, sometime what you eat will all disappear once you get back on your bike to ride further. Well that is just to give you an idea of what kind of rides I usually do.

Oops after seeing the pic and reading the discussion here about the brands you guys are into, me thinking twice whether my old made in taiwan bike can join your cycling trips...
    hehee.. no worries lah..

My mongoose made there too.. and serving mi well ... well.. dunno how many donkey yrs liao...

kekke.e.e.

time to ride ride!!!

what do most riders bring out during rides ?
    spare tubeS?pumps ?
    lastg nite was riding alone near the kaki bukit rehab centre and was thinking whether should bring along spare tubes and pump anot?
    Or am i being paranoid?

Quote Originally Posted by kex
    spare tubeS?pumps ?
    lastg nite was riding alone near the kaki bukit rehab centre and was thinking whether should bring along spare tubes and pump anot?
    Or am i being paranoid?
    well for mi, there are always these stuff in my pouch

1. Patch Kit.
    2. Small Pump
    3. Some tools

Well the basic of the basic to get you going in case something happen.

i carry a camelbak (http://www.camelbak.com/rec/products.cfm), inside got spare tube, tool to remove the tyre (forgot the name), patches for tube, allan keys, small adjustable spanner, small pump, chocolat bar (heh), rag, wallet and HP(impt! if anything happen can call for TAXI!!!)....heh....

heh...remember to learn/practise (assuming u never done that before) how to replace the tube hor, different from car where u
    do a 1-to-1 xchange of the wheel, for MTB u got to remove the wheel, then the tyre and change tube then replace tyre....heh....

heh....think u have fallen into another money sucking hobby!!!! hiak hiak hiak!!!!

Buy! Buy! Buy!

spare tubeS?pumps ?
    Or am i being paranoid?

so mafan ar..

are there any emergency mobile tyre repair service for mountain bike ?
    something like vehicle towing service like dat..

heh...better be prepared...the other time we were exploring some cemetry along lornie road, and someone got a flat and no spare...gotta walk all the way out ....

Cheers....

so mafan ar..

are there any emergency mobile tyre repair service for mountain bike ?
    something like vehicle towing service like dat..

any LBS(hehe..new term just learnt) open in the east on sunday with wide selection of accessories for new riders?

Lorong Ah Soo considered EAST? heh...Tiong Hin lor.....but dun go too late, think they close at ard 6pm on Sunday, their family day....heh

Buy Buy Buy!!

any LBS(hehe..new term just learnt) open in the east on sunday with wide selection of accessories for new riders?

day time ride to tiong hin,the traffic at Ubi quite turn off leh..

any LBS near east coast area or tampines that open on sunday ?

Deregistered

a BIG share of bike parts are made in TW.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadin...s/bikebiz.html

softer, highly padded seats can cause crotch numbness because the extra foam not depressed by the sit bones, will still retain its shape and apply pressure against the crotch. i'm not saying rock hard saddles are good, but i'm doing fine with my slighly padded saddle.

standing out of the saddle to pedal is occasionally used to relieve the weight off the crotch region/tailbone.

i see.... traffic at Ubi is badz at anytime, unless u r cycling after 12 midnite...heh

day time ride to tiong hin,the traffic at Ubi quite turn off leh..

any LBS near east coast area or tampines that open on sunday ?

nice looking Klein, sammy.

here's my ride: bought frame 2nd hand then built. it's scratched, dented, has ugly rust spots here and there, but rock solid.

Today is a gift; that's why it's called the present.
    The toys

just did 20km riding along east cost to fort rd..kekekke shiok man!

went to a LBS near my place call teo hock hin and spent $200+ there wahahaha..damn!
    got a speedometer,mirror,specialized helmet and changed the 2.3" maxxis tyre to a semi slick one..smoother ride after the tyre change,though resulted in light wallet

the shop owner are very friendly and the price is very cheap,compared to a LBS i rode to at east coast rd call rodalink..the same mirror there cost $10 compared to the $6.90 i bought..

the Scott road bike at tth looks really cool also..but $1400..
    any road bikers here ?

Giant TCR Composite 1

any idea how much this sleek beauty cost ?
    Last edited by kex; 9th January 2005 at 07:02 PM.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast