Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Used mountain bike recommendation!

Any cheap and good foldable bikes ?

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by mmmrsia
    Is the diamond brand at Carrefoure a good choice?
    avoid that like the plague.

Quote Originally Posted by popeye
    how in the world you can say mountain bike, if you don't know what normal bike is? if every bike is mountain bike, then all of them is normal bike lor

are you trying to say that bike that use expensive parts are mountain bike?
    Bro..you definitely misread what I wrote. I never said only expensive bikes with all the top brand is a mountain bike.

I was just asking you to define what you thought was a mountain bike when you made it sound like mountain bikes are an oddity and not the best choice in Singapore and that you implied that "normal" bikes are better suited. Thus I was trying to get your definition of what's "normal" BECAUSE almost all the bikes you see right now are adapted and built around a mountain bike design and sold at all bike shops in SG...whether it be hardtail, free ride or full suspension...as it is a popular bicycle not just here but around the world and a top seller. That is why almost all the branded and unknown OEM bikes are all built around a mountain bike configuration.

A moutain bike is built around certain frame geometry, wheel size, choice of tires and heavy framework, the type of gruppo set it uses, handbar, use of suspension fork front and back. You don't find that on a roadie racer, a trial bike, a gentlemen upright bike(those your grandfather and mine might ride), a ladies bike with no top tube, a BMXers..etc. 90% of people rides anything from a cheap to an expensive bike in singapore that is basically templated from a mountain bike. So I am asking you to define what's you meant by NORMAL for SG since you don't think we all need a mountain bike in Singapore. Unless you made a mistake and did not think about what has been used so far all this time on our island or you are not aware about the history and development of bicycle.

So I asked again...care to define what is normal bike to enlighten me? Thanks..

You have to excuse me for my over indulgence as apart from photography, moutain biking and cycling in general is actually my biggest passion.
    Last edited by sammy888; 8th January 2005 at 01:57 AM.

agree with the sizing...i'm 6ft too and i used to ride a GaryFisher 16" frame...haha....

21kg???? i think u mean 21 pound......

Cheers........

Quote Originally Posted by sammy888
    Well that GT should be a pretty good buy too with the Brake Disc and all. Will be a pretty heavy set up for sure. Disc Brake will be entry level for sure but for that price you are paying I guess it is okay.

I am not sure how tall you are but size 17 is not really that big especially for average Singaporean guy. I am 6 feet tall and I ride a Size 18 Klein. I am suppose to ride something in the 20+ range. I choose to ride a much smaller frame because I needed a very nimble ride setup with more control for dodging objects in tight trails, nimble quick hammering and hill climbing. In other words a more twitchy bike ( usually typical mountain bike racers and those serious about biking would take a smaller frame for control)

For a more easy to control and better ride, what fit your body or has a bit longer wheel base gives you a more stable ride especially if you are a beginner.

Do try to ride the bike around abit and not just ride the straight path. See if it really fit your riding ability since I am not sure how well you ride. Don;t get it just because it has disc brake..etc. I am still using XTR Shimano V brakes and they are good strong and good enough and keeps my bike under 21kg all this years

Just my two cents

Quote Originally Posted by plinius
    agree with the sizing...i'm 6ft too and i used to ride a GaryFisher 16" frame...haha....

21kg???? i think u mean 21 pound......

Cheers........
    hahah....opps.. you caught me. That was at the office when I tap that out. Just weigth it again...21.3 pound actually heheh. But note...I am not a weight weenie as per say. I could get my bike lighter but I find that for my size, too light a bike is just not stable especially when I hit strong winds. But getting it to that weight sure makes it climb like a bunny rabbit! heheh

Damn ..don't tell me you also have to use a super long seat post too? heheh I managed to just narrowly get a Syncros one to fit and get me the height I need.
    Last edited by sammy888; 8th January 2005 at 02:00 AM.

nice poundage...... in MTB, the weight of the bike is usually inversely proportional to the COST! heh............

hahah....opps.. you caught me. That was at the office. Just weigth it again...21.3 pound actually heheh.

nice poundage...... in MTB, the weight of the bike is usually inversely proportional to the COST! heh............
    Well I upgraded it slowly. Though the bike came as a packaged set, I was more interested in the frame which is one of the lightest and strongest. ANd best of all..my childhood brand...Klein hand-made before TREK got it's dirty hands on the company! I did not actually get the most expensive and best parts...mostly the second best. I feel some of the best and more expensive actually sacrifice some durability to keep the weight down. But ya...it still cost me abit over time. Could almost buy 3 D70s. But hey..it is with me still since 1995 and going strong. Will never give it up for sentimental reason. I ride for almost 13 yrs before I could afford one. But that all part of biking. I believe if I have not rided as many years as I have, before I got my dream MTB, I would never really appreciate it when I finally got it.

That's why I alway tell those who wants to start out....to go slow and not let the bells and whistle dictate what you want for your first bike...and just enjoy riding first. To enjoying riding or to lose weight...you dont need a special bike or expensive one to do so.

yuo...totally agree to go slow and starting out....i start with a $500 GT Tempest w/o front suspension....later upgraded to front suspension....later when i clocked enuf milage on the Tempest i made a jump to customised Gary Fisher Supercaliber (SAAB Edition).....

talking abt Klein bike!! always wanted to own one....i always drool at my fren's old Klein Adroit aka the Black Beauty........coolZ!!!

Cheers.

Well I upgraded it slowly. Though the bike came as a packaged set, I was more interested in the frame which is one of the lightest and strongest. ANd best of all..my childhood brand...Klein hand-made before TREK got it's dirty hands on the company! I did not actually get the most expensive and best parts...mostly the second best. I feel some of the best and more expensive actually sacrifice some durability to keep the weight down. But ya...it still cost me abit over time. Could almost buy 3 D70s. But hey..it is with me still since 1995 and going strong. Will never give it up for sentimental reason. I ride for almost 13 yrs before I could afford one. But that all part of biking. I believe if I have not rided as many years as I have, before I got my dream MTB, I would never really appreciate it when I finally got it.

That's why I alway tell those who wants to start out....to go slow and not let the bells and whistle dictate what you want for your first bike...and just enjoy riding first. To enjoying riding or to lose weight...you dont need a special bike or expensive one to do so.

wheee finally a bike thread in CS. heh.

I have a klein mantra pro and a schwinn rocket 88. when I ride, I usually have a stripped down rig with me, D30, 28-70 and a small tripod. The bikes get me to places otherwise tough to get to.

up to this point, it seems like no one has tried to define what a mountain bike is It really depends on what you are comparing it to. as opposed to a road specific bike, or a trial bike or a triathalon setup...

Its usually all in the geometry of the frame. meaning, the position of the rider on the bike.

a normal 'market bike' has the rider on the most comfortable upright position with saddle closer to the ground. they usually have comrptable seats and easy to manage handlebars. comfort and practicality being teh main concern.

a 'mountain bike' as most would call it has a rather more aggressive and compact geometry meaning that while the the rider is in a slightly 'bent over' position, there is room to shift around. the legs are generally not fully extended at the bottom of teh downstroke and the rider generally keeps most of his weight off the saddle. The position of the pedals are also generally slightly forward as compared to road bikes. mountain bikes also have suspensions, either just the front fork, or front and back, wider tires (than road bikes) 1.5-2.5 inches. comfort is a secondary consideration, manuverbility, stability and balance are the main concern.

a road bike has the rider in a rather more 'extended' position, with the body and legs in a position that will deliver the most power, least drag.. and generally to place no limits to how fast the bike can theoratically go... dependant on the 'engine'. body comfportably leaning forward, legs fully extended to give maximum power on each stroke.. least comfortable of all teh bikes tho...

then there are downhill bikes, trial bikes, triathlon bikes, cruisers, and hybrids of all the different types

the problem with cheap 'mountain' bikes are that they are targetted to the mass market and generally use a generic taiwan made frame that tends towards the 'upright' side.. I woudl definitely stay away from carrefour.

if you go second hand look for a nice GT or Kona hardtail. the 1.0 is a nice starting bike albiet a little heavy.

if you want new, you can probably get a wheeler or cheap scott that will be nice. tho the parts are sometimes questionable. tho they can always be changed.

just like cameras.. .go to a shop and try try try then buy buy buy.

and er.. just like cameras. ya gotta know which shops to avoid. in general avoid shops with long names.... *grin*

pm for some recommendations for nice friendly good service type shops

just my 2 exposures worth.

Quote Originally Posted by ragdolll
    wheee finally a bike thread in CS. heh.

I have a klein mantra pro and a schwinn rocket 88. when I ride, I usually have a stripped down rig with me, D30, 28-70 and a small tripod. The bikes get me to places otherwise tough to get to.

just my 2 exposures worth.
    Aiyo...dont start leh....getting me all hot and sweaty now at the office hahahahah......The Mantro Pro is one of the best suspension rig man.

Long sounding name huh? hahah.... I can think of one or two LOL....It contributed to one of the reason why I did not get a Mantra.

Yeah I am doing that too but with D70 and the kit lens. Just nice. I use to lug along my F4 or F5 with a wide zoom and telephoto zoom and ...man!...it was a pain on my hip due to the weight as I use a Lowepro Off Track waist strapped bag PLUS on a hardtail! heheh. Now with this D70 and lens...it is all I need to get around now. Beside I usually do landscape and wide angle shots.
    Last edited by sammy888; 8th January 2005 at 10:32 AM.

yuo...totally agree to go slow and starting out....i start with a $500 GT Tempest w/o front suspension....later upgraded to front suspension....later when i clocked enuf milage on the Tempest i made a jump to customised Gary Fisher Supercaliber (SAAB Edition).....

talking abt Klein bike!! always wanted to own one....i always drool at my fren's old Klein Adroit aka the Black Beauty........coolZ!!!

Cheers.
    The Gary Fisher Supercaliber is a pretty good frame and ride. Not seen the one you talked about on our roads in SG. Must be a specially endorse version?

Black beauty? You mean the black 20th Anniversary paint job? I know there is only 3-4 of that special paint job in Singapore. I prefer the Night Storm...but to repaint my frame, I have to pay to send it back to the states and then plop down about US750 for the paint job and pay for get it back...but having more then one hobby...I bought something else instead eheheh.

Aiyo...the boys and their hobbies...

Deregistered

all talk so much.

where are the PHOTOS of the bikes?

I agree with you...so many uncommon names mentioned, no idea how it looks like... give a P!

i went to toing hin late last nite ard 11pm and took a look at a few bikes there,wah..

Got this drooling after effect ..there are 2 racing bike hanging there,one of them a Giant,look so nice and sleek..never ask the price since the owner are relaxing in the office..

Kona bike seems not bad,but the GT avalanche 3.0 abit not steam..

all the frames in the glass display look so well machined ~!

Tiong Hin? heh...my favorite bike shop!!! what u waiting for? Giant Racer? u mena the ONCE? ha...nice

aiyah...u shld just go into the office to disturb uncle lah....late at nite is the best time to talk to him....heh...dun go during 4pm period, coz uncle just wake up...blur blur and not in mood to talk one...heh.....uncle got funny sleeping habit......heh

if got chance, try to talk to him and fren wif him lah...u will find that he is a very nice and funny guy!! auntie also nice to talk to too...heh.........

Quote Originally Posted by kex
    i went to toing hin late last nite ard 11pm and took a look at a few bikes there,wah..

Got this drooling after effect ..there are 2 racing bike hanging there,one of them a Giant,look so nice and sleek..never ask the price since the owner are relaxing in the office..

Kona bike seems not bad,but the GT avalanche 3.0 abit not steam..

all the frames in the glass display look so well machined ~!

Quote Originally Posted by sehsuan
    all talk so much.

where are the PHOTOS of the bikes?
    hehe..not too nice leh.. Our brudder here is looking to get an entry level to start off and by the look of it..he is getting deep into it with looking at all the higher end models...Don't think it would be right to tempt or confuse him. Maybe in another thread ...which reminds me I have not taken any new pictures of my wife..oopss..I mean my bike heh..

This thread should be to give him a taste of what's to come but the focus is on getting him to buy the right bike for him.

dun worry about me! hehe..

i got a customer who is a bike fanatic,alrdy seen those high end bike(20k+) liao..

my LBS here got a used Giant ATX? or AXT 890 with those racing tyres and XTR gears..very tempting..but haven ask him the price yet..

anyone here with a wild guess ?

high end bike @ 20k? MTB bike or Downhill bike with those big big Nokian tyres?

frankly I have yet to see a 20K+ MTB bike!!!

the ATX 890 got full XTR gears? if yes then it will not come cheap lor....how used is the bike?

cheers.........

i got a customer who is a bike fanatic,alrdy seen those high end bike(20k+) liao..

my LBS here got a used Giant ATX? or AXT 890 with those racing tyres and XTR gears..very tempting..but haven ask him the price yet..

hehe...let's put it this way...the Shimano XTR gear and brake system alone would already blow your budget to pieces left alone the other parts tat comes with it heh...

I have yet to come across a 20K MTB too heh.. what brand and gruppo/parts?

hehe..

the boss told me that bike cost $3000+ brand new last time,later go and ask how much he selling..*dreaming*

Nx time will ask my customer wad brand is the 20k bike,he told me the frame alone cost 7k+..

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast