Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12347 ... LastLast

Thread: Used mountain bike recommendation!

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by lavenderlilz
    another shop to get from is Tiong Hin near Hougang / Lorong Ah Soo area. Competitive prices. My husband gets most of his bike stuff from there (he has converted from MTB to road bike now).
    WHAT? and i haven't seen your hubby's bike yet!

what bike is he using now?

i'm a tiong hin regular too, the only thing is that i dont have too much extra moolah to spend on my bike.

intially when i just learnt how to cycle in 2002, i used to like to go to song seng chan that StreetShooter mentioned. but after the auntie there told me something vaguely like, "this bike's colour very nice, suits you" kind of talk, i decided to move elsewhere.

SS, are you sure there's a GTS brand? i do know GT has a LTS model last time...

Quote Originally Posted by popeye
    Pardon my ignorance. But why riding mountain bike in Singapore?
    Normal bicycle would do the trick, I guess?
    I would appreciate if you could tell me how you "define" mountain bike?

Almost every unknown budget ($250-500) brands out there in the market is a mountain bike frame and setup abeit they are made of really cheap parts. Or are you saying the BMXs are normal bikes?

u shld try one urself lah....try one 30 pound MTB bike and one 20 pound MTB Bike and u will know the diff straight away. ... but only applicable for those serious biker lah, not for those who just cycle to go market or buy kopi...heh

cheers...........

Nothing's wrong. But I want to know what makes it different than riding normal bike? It's not a rough terrain anyway in Singapore.

Quote Originally Posted by plinius
    u shld try one urself lah....try one 30 pound MTB bike and one 20 pound MTB Bike and u will know the diff straight away. ... but only applicable for those serious biker lah, not for those who just cycle to go market or buy kopi...heh

cheers.........
    Dunno leh,,....I just cycle to the nearby petrol kisok to pump air then cycle home... kekkeke.e..

got diff meh?

:P

Pardon my ignorance. But why riding mountain bike in Singapore?
    Normal bicycle would do the trick, I guess?
    pls define normal bicycle.

hi all,

i got an offer of a mongoose rockadile LE m size hard tail, rochshox judy TT,deore shifters,v brakes,rear d, lx brake levers,altus front d,alex rim with maxxis minnon 2.3" tyres(new)kore stem and specialized raiser bar.
    she is asking for $350.

How does it sound ?

Quote Originally Posted by kex
    hi all,

i got an offer of a mongoose rockadile LE m size hard tail, rochshox judy TT,deore shifters,v brakes,rear d, lx brake levers,altus front d,alex rim with maxxis minnon 2.3" tyres(new)kore stem and specialized raiser bar.
    she is asking for $350.

How does it sound ?
    buy buy buy!

Good enough

hehe...u will be surprised how much diff it would make when the amount of air inside the tyre is differemt

hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Bluestrike
    Dunno leh,,....I just cycle to the nearby petrol kisok to pump air then cycle home... kekkeke.e..

got diff meh?

:P

hi all,

she is asking for $350.

How does it sound ?
    Taiwan made....but it is still a reputable brand and the parts are not too bad. You can not get anything better....going by the price

If it really belongs to the girl then it is fine I guess but if it formerly belong to a guy, check out the frame carefully, check the pressure and condition of the front shocks to make sure you can change the plush setting. Condition of the parts like wiring and braking. Condition of the hub, gearing teeth and how smooth the geas still shifts. Ride it around abit and change the gearing while riding. Don;t expect much for the paint job for this bike but look out for stickers that might be hiding cracks and hard knocks. Look at all the joints to make sure the welding is still good. Remove all parts that has covering over them to check as I said, for hidden cracks..etc. If this is really a bike owed by a girl, and you happen to be much taller...see if you the seat post is long enough for you to extend to fit your height. Riding on a bike that is too small or short for you is not a good thing on the long run( or ride).

And if you do think this is the bike you want to buy, I would advice you send it down to the shop and get them to service it once over. Should not cost too much for that.( less then $50)

It is quite a good deal given the parts you mentioned though kinda rojak in a way heheh.. but it is better then getting one of those brand new unknown brand ones. Pretty decent for a new biker lah.
    Last edited by sammy888; 7th January 2005 at 02:04 PM.

had to give it a miss,found out it is a 17" frame..i guess it is too big for my frame.

my frd advise me to get a 15.5 or 16" frame..

maybe settle for the GT avalanche 1.0 disc 2003 for $500,still waiting for the seller to reply..no response at all..

had to give it a miss,found out it is a 17" frame..i guess it is too big for my frame.

maybe settle for the GT avalanche 1.0 disc 2003 for $500,still waiting for the seller to reply..no response at all..
    Well that GT should be a pretty good buy too with the Brake Disc and all. Will be a pretty heavy set up for sure. Disc Brake will be entry level for sure but for that price you are paying I guess it is okay.

I am not sure how tall you are but size 17 is not really that big especially for average Singaporean guy. I am 6 feet tall and I ride a Size 18 Klein. I am suppose to ride something in the 20+ range. I choose to ride a much smaller frame because I needed a very nimble ride setup with more control for dodging objects in tight trails, nimble quick hammering and hill climbing. In other words a more twitchy bike ( usually typical mountain bike racers and those serious about biking would take a smaller frame for control)

For a more easy to control and better ride, what fit your body or has a bit longer wheel base gives you a more stable ride especially if you are a beginner.

Do try to ride the bike around abit and not just ride the straight path. See if it really fit your riding ability since I am not sure how well you ride. Don;t get it just because it has disc brake..etc. I am still using XTR Shimano V brakes and they are good strong and good enough and keeps my bike under 21kg all this years

Just my two cents
    Last edited by sammy888; 7th January 2005 at 11:48 PM.

got a few offer but dunno which is better value,thoung all should be more than enough to suit my purpose..
    1) mongoose rockadile Pro LE $350
    2) GT Avalanche 1.0 disc 2003 $500
    3)GT avalanche 2.0 disc 2004 $400
    4) Trek 8000 rigid fork with a 9speed gear and decent component $400

which is a better buy assuming all are in same condition?

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Snowcrash
    pls define normal bicycle.
    first, please define what is mountain bicycle.

did you check the bike out for fit? seat tube height isn't the only governing factor for selecting a frame. check out the top tube lenght as well. i use an 18" frame (my height is 174cm) and a number of my mates tell me i should be riding something smaller, but i'm comfortable with the longer top tube of the 18". this means i don't have to run an extra long stem, which can affect the overall handling of the bike.

my ride is old school chromoly steel hardtail, mangura HS 22's hydraulic brakes, mid 90's shimano deore XT with a rapid fire rear shifter and a thumb shifter for the front, rockshock judy SL forks and ritchey cranks. it weighs a ton but wouldn't change it for the world. been up and down the rompin national park a number of times, through sedili and the 'former' bb track at clementi. if you're going to be doing a lot of road riding, don't worry too much about disc brakes, or rear suspension, etc. bulletproof components are the way to go.

just my thoughts.

btw, don't select a bike based just on description. try it out, ride around for a few minutes, shift the gears, stand on the pedals, pump it around. then decide.
    Today is a gift; that's why it's called the present.
    The toys

Is the diamond brand at Carrefoure a good choice?
    By the way, I am interested in cycling cum shooting.
    You may be interested in having a trip together...

Quote Originally Posted by sammy888
    I would appreciate if you could tell me how you "define" mountain bike?

Almost every unknown budget ($250-500) brands out there in the market is a mountain bike frame and setup abeit they are made of really cheap parts. Or are you saying the BMXs are normal bikes?
    how in the world you can say mountain bike, if you don't know what normal bike is? if every bike is mountain bike, then all of them is normal bike lor

are you trying to say that bike that use expensive parts are mountain bike?

never really try the bikes myself yet,i'm quite a straightforward buyer thats y i dun really like to go try out when i dun intend to buy it..dun like to waste pp time..

i think i will go to tiong hin later after work to have a feel of those diff brand..

mmmmmrsia:riding and shooting sounds good to me~! maybe can cycle to ubin and take some photo when i really get my bike!

no problem, PM me if you want a cycling buddy
    mine is around a 5 year old cheapo brand but still work. Used to frequent EC Park. Can try sunrise shoot at also if you want.

sunrise ar..haha..many yrs never shoot liao..

dun think can wake up so early nowadays..not so zealous as i used to be now.
    where u stay ?near my place ?

st 1

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12347 ... LastLast