Page 1 of 8 1236 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 143

Thread: Used mountain bike recommendation!

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    beebox
    Posts
    2,078

    Default Used mountain bike recommendation!

    hello,

    thinking of getting a used bike to ride around/exercise to lose some fats

    my budget is ard $400 for a used one,but i'm a total newbie on bike.

    Can i get a used "FM2" equivalent bike for $400?

    which are the more reliable brands?

    i'm of a small built frame and prefer something manageable.

    Any recommendations?

    thanks!

  2. #2

    Default

    Giant or GTS brand should be good value budget bikes. Get only front suspension, rear suspension adds unnecessary weight unless you're getting a really top end bike.

    AVOID Aleoca, Polygon, etc. May be cheaper, but very heavy and components aren't as durable or good.

    You DO know about www.togoparts.com right?

  3. #3
    Member patch17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    728

    Default

    if you can still find them, a specialized rockhopper or hardrock. comes in nice small frame sizes.

    trek is another brand to check out.

    imo, the most important thing on a bike is the frame. choose one which suits your size, riding style and buget. the rest of the parts can easily be replaced.
    Today is a gift; that's why it's called the present.
    The toys

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    beebox
    Posts
    2,078

    Default

    hmm...

    thanks for the link SS,went in there but dun have a clue on the bike descriptions they are posting on the marketplace..

    wad will be a suitable frame for a small built guy like me ? isaw alot of 16.5",20" etc frame.. i believe those are the size of the frame right ?

    one of my customer told me just now one of his bike cost 20k+~! only~!!!
    never know bicycle can cost so much~

    http://www.togoparts.com/marketplace...%26page_id%3D1

    is this a decent bike ?
    Last edited by kex; 6th January 2005 at 10:34 AM.

  5. #5

    Default

    Pretty decent for $500 I would say. Shimano Deore is mid range componentry and it even comes with disc brakes. Guess you would have to ride it to see if you like it.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    SG / LDN
    Posts
    3,059

    Default

    if you are of average built like most guys in singapore..

    a 16 - 17 inch frame would be just nice.
    16.5 would be good as well.

    since u have a budget of $400...just go to a shop and get them to show u all the bikes in that range lor!

    i guess the common brands like Giant, GT, Kona, Specialize should be good enough and would fit your budget.
    dont expect super good components at this price obviously.

    just consider...the type of gear shift you like.
    like grip shift...or shifter type (which is the best imo and most common i assume)

    brakes....most probably i tink it will come with V-brakes nowadays.

    suspension...like someone has alerady mentioned...go for a hardtail. meaning only front suspension.

    well hope that is of some help....i lost touch on MTB liao anyways

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    SG / LDN
    Posts
    3,059

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kex
    if its the GT u toking abt..

    i reckon it looks pretty decent...somemore got disc brakes!

    just go try it personally..then you'll know.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Western SG
    Posts
    1,537

    Default

    budget bike.... which area you stay?

    if in the west can try biker hub at Jurong East. I got mine from there.

    Me newbie in biking also and got a hasa comp 1.0 with helmet, lights, bottle cage and bell for less than your budget.

    Unless you go Bukit Timah... I think the above will suit your needs too.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    beebox
    Posts
    2,078

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vortex
    if you are of average built like most guys in singapore..

    a 16 - 17 inch frame would be just nice.
    16.5 would be good as well.

    since u have a budget of $400...just go to a shop and get them to show u all the bikes in that range lor!

    i guess the common brands like Giant, GT, Kona, Specialize should be good enough and would fit your budget.
    dont expect super good components at this price obviously.

    just consider...the type of gear shift you like.
    like grip shift...or shifter type (which is the best imo and most common i assume)

    brakes....most probably i tink it will come with V-brakes nowadays.

    suspension...like someone has alerady mentioned...go for a hardtail. meaning only front suspension.

    well hope that is of some help....i lost touch on MTB liao anyways

    thanks for the advises,any bicycle shops in the east that sell used bikes ?

    tot i can stretch my dollar by getting a used one..

  10. #10

    Default

    Song Seng Chan is where I get all my bikes from.

    It's that shop in Joo Chiat Road which has been there since I was a little boy.

  11. #11

    Default

    I thought LeRun bike are good for normal people? S$400 is quite some money and in Malaysia can get a very good bike already, especially 2nd hand. Of course not those racing type...but you don't need a super light carbon body type of bike right?

    I know nothing about bike...
    DR KOH KHO KING

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StreetShooter
    Song Seng Chan is where I get all my bikes from.

    It's that shop in Joo Chiat Road which has been there since I was a little boy.
    bought all my bikes from there oso. The old Auntie a bit lor soh though... :P

    Uncle quite nice... if u stay around Marine Parade , they even provide free delivery..

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    beebox
    Posts
    2,078

    Default

    they got sell used bike anot ar ?

    http://www.gtbicycles.com/mountain/c...ail.php?id=914

    this bike new roughly how much ?
    any shop i can call to get more info ?

    wannabe biker
    thanks!

  14. #14

    Default

    Pardon my ignorance. But why riding mountain bike in Singapore?
    Normal bicycle would do the trick, I guess?

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    SG / LDN
    Posts
    3,059

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kex
    thanks for the advises,any bicycle shops in the east that sell used bikes ?

    tot i can stretch my dollar by getting a used one..
    ya that bike looks like a good deal to me...i dunno abt the mkt rate nowadays. just ask the shops lor.

    i know Hup Leong last time sell alot of GT bikes and good price...maybe u can check with them?

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    beebox
    Posts
    2,078

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by popeye
    Pardon my ignorance. But why riding mountain bike in Singapore?
    Normal bicycle would do the trick, I guess?
    what's wrong with riding a mountain bike in singapore ?

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kex
    what's wrong with riding a mountain bike in singapore ?
    Nothing's wrong. But I want to know what makes it different than riding normal bike? It's not a rough terrain anyway in Singapore.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    beebox
    Posts
    2,078

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by popeye
    Nothing's wrong. But I want to know what makes it different than riding normal bike? It's not a rough terrain anyway in Singapore.
    i also dunno wad makes it different from normal bike,i leave it to the seasoned bikers to answer it.

    i just tot they look nicer than normal bike,more "garang"

    for my purpose,i think either will do,but MTB looks more appealing to me

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    hErE lAh
    Posts
    975

    Default

    another shop to get from is Tiong Hin near Hougang / Lorong Ah Soo area. Competitive prices. My husband gets most of his bike stuff from there (he has converted from MTB to road bike now).

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,719

    Default

    Yes, tiong hin is very good. someomore nearer to you from bedok.
    at lor ah soo... open from 12pm to 12am.

    just tell him you wanna spend $400 and he will give you a good deal.

Page 1 of 8 1236 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •