Thread: Cold climate places Brisbane - Seeking some tips

Default Cold climate places Brisbane - Seeking some tips

Hi all,

I will be in Australia this June, I know its winter over there. Any tips on what I shld do to take care of my camera maybe on issue of condensation when coming back.

First time taking cam to cold climate places.

Will be in Brisbane. Any good tips on street photography? Where and what I should take note of (in terms of culture).

Appreciate tips from any of you.

Default Re: Cold climate places Brisbane - Seeking some tips

Hi, your camera should be just fine.. Brisbane during winter is mild to cool, not really considered cold.
    Melbourne, Canberra and Tasmania are much colder.

Quote Originally Posted by engta View Post
    Hi, your camera should be just fine.. Brisbane during winter is mild to cool, not really considered cold.
    Melbourne, Canberra and Tasmania are much colder.
    Thanks bro for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Oshkosh View Post
    Thanks bro for the info.
    The air is pretty dry in Australia. If it's not extremely cold (and Brisbane/GC hardly ever gets that cold), you have very little to worry about with regards to condensation.

If my memory serves me well, the sunsets were quite beautiful during winter. Have a good trip!
    Exploring! :)

Go for a classic sunrise shot at Mount Cootha. Warning - It can be quite cold up there at 4-5am. Prob about 5-8deg depending.

You could consider going up the tower at City Hall. Not high in a sense but still gives a good view of the city.

Take the City Cat from the stop at the University of Queensland (the uni is a good place to take photos too) towards the direction of the city and you should be able to get some nice skyline shots if not, the scenic river route makes the trip quite pleasurable.

If you drive, go up to Kangaroo point and take photos of the city from there or of rock climbers if people are climbing.

Don't think there's issue of taking pictures of people. Eric Kim was in Australia not too long back. He made a post on the rights of taking photos in public. You can watch his video on how he handled the issue of confrontation in Australia
    Last edited by phoeniix; 23rd May 2012 at 08:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oshkosh View Post
    Hi all,

I will be in Australia this June, I know its winter over there. Any tips on what I shld do to take care of my camera maybe on issue of condensation when coming back.

First time taking cam to cold climate places.

Will be in Brisbane. Any good tips on street photography? Where and what I should take note of (in terms of culture).

Appreciate tips from any of you.
    Have you read the stickies in the newbies corner and General Tech Talk?? Or done a search for "cold weather"?

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/gener...d-weather.html
    Alpha

bring plenty of ziplock bags.
    just keep the cameras / lenses in the ziplog bag before transiting from a cold to warm place.
    Only open the bags when the temperature of your cameras/lenses are the same to the surrounding.
    How it works is, the cold dry air you locked inside the bag, is still dry even when the air temperature is warm while the camera/lenses is still turning from colder to warmer at a slower pace.

If you are not exceeding the operating temperature range of your camera/lens, then there is nothing else to worry about.

Thanks all for the excellent tips. I thought of the ziplock bag (learnt that in Science lessons haha). Thanks Phoeniix for the places to take photos, Uni of Queensland intrigued me. Once again thanks all.

Brisbane during winter can be around 7deg. Coldest period will be in late July to early Aug, mid august will start to warm up, by Sept comes, it will be Spring time. Basically the more inland it gets, the colder and dryer it becomes. Was there for 3 years before to study.

Just remember to go daiso, I went to the IMM one and got a heatpack, 2 bucks for 4 packs, got 8 and it lasted me during 2-7 degrees in europe.

my camera is weatherproof so when iceing forms, it is actually still able to work so weatherproof is important =)
    If the photo i took is 1% unclear, I will rather delete .. www.flickr.com/photos/59837685@N03/