Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Err99- 450D ERROR

  1. #1
    Senior Member velasco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    PARISris , Singapore
    Posts
    2,627

    Default Err99- 450D ERROR

    Hello all, I am so devastated there's something wrong with my 450D / XSI. Has anyone encountered this problem?

    Before the whole Err99 appears, like below:

    "ERR 99 Shooting is not possible
    Turn the power switch to off and on again or re-install the battery."


    IMG_8022 by *iskandar, on Flickr

    I had these on my last few shots, as though an aperture blade fell off. So I assumed there is something wrong with my 50mm lens but when I switched to kit lens, the problem still persists.

    Now when I turn it on, there is a clicking mechanicsm sound from inside.
    I can't do anything, the err99 keeps flashing.

    Is the shutter dead?

    Best regards.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Err99- 450D ERROR

    Quote Originally Posted by velasco View Post
    Hello all, I am so devastated there's something wrong with my 450D / XSI. Has anyone encountered this problem?

    Before the whole Err99 appears, like below:

    "ERR 99 Shooting is not possible
    Turn the power switch to off and on again or re-install the battery."


    IMG_8022 by *iskandar, on Flickr

    I had these on my last few shots, as though an aperture blade fell off. So I assumed there is something wrong with my 50mm lens but when I switched to kit lens, the problem still persists.

    Now when I turn it on, there is a clicking mechanicsm sound from inside.
    I can't do anything, the err99 keeps flashing.

    Is the shutter dead?

    Best regards.

    your 450D so long already I'm not suprised if it is the shutter.

    can't tell like tht best to bring to csc bro

  3. #3
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Err99- 450D ERROR

    Quote Originally Posted by velasco View Post
    Hello all, I am so devastated there's something wrong with my 450D / XSI. Has anyone encountered this problem?

    Before the whole Err99 appears, like below:

    "ERR 99 Shooting is not possible
    Turn the power switch to off and on again or re-install the battery."


    IMG_8022 by *iskandar, on Flickr

    I had these on my last few shots, as though an aperture blade fell off. So I assumed there is something wrong with my 50mm lens but when I switched to kit lens, the problem still persists.

    Now when I turn it on, there is a clicking mechanicsm sound from inside.
    I can't do anything, the err99 keeps flashing.

    Is the shutter dead?

    Best regards.
    Looks like the shutter is gone. The rectangular shape of the shadow points to a shutter blade that came loose. Stop using camera and get the shutter replaced.

  4. #4
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Err99- 450D ERROR

    Or take it as an excuse to upgrade. 7D is not really selling at very high price now... and 5DmkII is also pretty affordable
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  5. #5

    Default

    I'm betting your shutter is dead. You may consider sending it to Canon Service Center or simply purchase a new camera.

    Just for fun, you may wish to just observe your shutter in action to see if you can spot anything unusual with you.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

  6. #6

    Default

    i guess its time to replace!! uve put it too good use!

  7. #7
    Senior Member SilverPine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,539

    Default Re: Err99- 450D ERROR

    Err 99 can be lens and/or camera unknown problem, if you have another lens change and test again if same Err 99 happen again, then is the camera problem. After change to a new lens, if no err 99, then you are sure that the problem is the lens.
    Canon 5D II, 20-35 f/2.8L, 28-80 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/4L IS, 100-300 f/5.6L, 100 f/2.8 Macro

  8. #8
    Senior Member dennisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Freezing Upp Thomson/Mandai!
    Posts
    2,008

    Default Re: Err99- 450D ERROR

    check the mirror part, mine came off when the prc driver jammed the brakes a couple of times, and it dropped twice I simply slipped it back and it was working again.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Err99- 450D ERROR

    Quote Originally Posted by SilverPine View Post
    Err 99 can be lens and/or camera unknown problem, if you have another lens change and test again if same Err 99 happen again, then is the camera problem. After change to a new lens, if no err 99, then you are sure that the problem is the lens.
    er did u see the photo?

  10. #10

    Default Re: Err99- 450D ERROR

    hmm, shape of the black thing does looked like shutter blades, but I thought shutters are either aligned horizontally or vertically? this one is like diagonally

  11. #11

    Default Re: Err99- 450D ERROR

    Quote Originally Posted by dennisc View Post
    check the mirror part, mine came off when the prc driver jammed the brakes a couple of times, and it dropped twice I simply slipped it back and it was working again.
    Really? Does it matter if it was a PRC driver? Why are you bringing racism into this thread?
    Alpha

  12. #12
    Senior Member dennisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Freezing Upp Thomson/Mandai!
    Posts
    2,008

    Default Re: Err99- 450D ERROR

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Really? Does it matter if it was a PRC driver? Why are you bringing racism into this thread?
    You're talking to someone who'd alot of PRC friends back in Uni, even formed a study group. If there's anything racist, it's in your head.

  13. #13
    Senior Member fatigue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Blk138 Bedok North Ave3
    Posts
    2,924

    Default Re: Err99- 450D ERROR

    One of your shutter blades ( there are 2 sets) could be damaged

    Here's how a defective shutter looks like. The one on top is a damaged shutter blades.
    The 2 sets at the bottom is the new sets



    The fix means the whole shutter will be replaced but a cheap fix would be to replace the blades only.
    The shutter blades cost U$20 online. (Edit: some will even sell much cheaper but with MOQ)
    Plus labor cost, you can roughly estimate how much the total cost to get it fixed.
    Last edited by fatigue; 23rd May 2012 at 06:03 PM.
    9815-1974
    FB: Hilos Camera Repair

  14. #14
    Senior Member velasco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    PARISris , Singapore
    Posts
    2,627

    Default Re: Err99- 450D ERROR

    Quote Originally Posted by eleveninth View Post
    i guess its time to replace!! uve put it too good use!
    hehehe thanks for remembering me. I think I have too. I hope I can get a new one. The thing is I'm so broke right now. The camera has to die in the midst of my India trip logistics.

    Thanks all for the feedback. I think it is 99.9% shutter problem as assessed through your opinions. This guy replied to me. Whoa he has guts to break the gears down.

    XSI (450D) shutter failure, error 99 with tear down pics - Canon Digital Photography Forums

    Will update you guys come Monday. (:

  15. #15
    Senior Member SilverPine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,539

    Default Re: Err99- 450D ERROR

    Quote Originally Posted by eleveninth View Post
    er did u see the photo?
    If you can see the photo so am I. The checking method is to make sure that both lens and camera are not both in fault. It happen to me when both camera and lens were still in warranty period giving err99, Canon replace a new lens and replace the camera shutter. I could not believed both can be in fault.
    Canon 5D II, 20-35 f/2.8L, 28-80 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/4L IS, 100-300 f/5.6L, 100 f/2.8 Macro

  16. #16

    Default Re: Err99- 450D ERROR

    Quote Originally Posted by velasco View Post
    Hello all, I am so devastated there's something wrong with my 450D / XSI. Has anyone encountered this problem?

    Before the whole Err99 appears, like below:

    "ERR 99 Shooting is not possible
    Turn the power switch to off and on again or re-install the battery."


    IMG_8022 by *iskandar, on Flickr

    I had these on my last few shots, as though an aperture blade fell off. So I assumed there is something wrong with my 50mm lens but when I switched to kit lens, the problem still persists.

    Now when I turn it on, there is a clicking mechanicsm sound from inside.
    I can't do anything, the err99 keeps flashing.

    Is the shutter dead?

    Best regards.
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverPine View Post
    If you can see the photo so am I. The checking method is to make sure that both lens and camera are not both in fault. It happen to me when both camera and lens were still in warranty period giving err99, Canon replace a new lens and replace the camera shutter. I could not believed both can be in fault.
    he did check .

  17. #17
    Senior Member velasco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    PARISris , Singapore
    Posts
    2,627

    Default Re: Err99- 450D ERROR

    Called canon on monday quoted 150.

    went down this morning, rep said 450 I was all fixed in getting a new camera using their priveledge purchase but did not. Wanted to wait another day to decide.

    called them again after leaving, quoted 180.


    Mad confused. Will go down to canon again. If its 180, i think its more worth it to get it fixed. Wasted my time though.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Err99- 450D ERROR

    Quote Originally Posted by velasco View Post
    Called canon on monday quoted 150.

    went down this morning, rep said 450 I was all fixed in getting a new camera using their priveledge purchase but did not. Wanted to wait another day to decide.

    called them again after leaving, quoted 180.

    Mad confused. Will go down to canon again. If its 180, i think its more worth it to get it fixed. Wasted my time though.

    Get a 7D lol rumours of 7D2 coming out. so those kiasu ppl sure let go cheap soon. just watch the BNS.

  19. #19
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Err99- 450D ERROR

    Quote Originally Posted by velasco View Post
    Called canon on monday quoted 150.

    went down this morning, rep said 450 I was all fixed in getting a new camera using their priveledge purchase but did not. Wanted to wait another day to decide.

    called them again after leaving, quoted 180.


    Mad confused. Will go down to canon again. If its 180, i think its more worth it to get it fixed. Wasted my time though.
    Why not talk to fatigue?

  20. #20
    Senior Member fatigue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Blk138 Bedok North Ave3
    Posts
    2,924

    Default Re: Err99- 450D ERROR

    Quote Originally Posted by velasco View Post

    Thanks all for the feedback. I think it is 99.9% shutter problem as assessed through your opinions. This guy replied to me. Whoa he has guts to break the gears down.

    XSI (450D) shutter failure, error 99 with tear down pics - Canon Digital Photography Forums
    The guy is amazing! I'm not saying I'm an expert or better than this guy but let me share some tips/precaution for those who wanted to DIY. There are some parts that are not necessary or should I say not suppose to dismantle to replace the shutter blades.

    * Not suppose to dismantle lens mount- the distance of lens mount to sensor is critical
    * Not suppose to dismantle the AF sensor- the location of AF sensor is very precise. A fraction of a millimeter means a lot
    * Not necessary to remove battery compartment
    * Must keep the sensor properly to prevent dust/dirt on the surface of the AA filter

    9815-1974
    FB: Hilos Camera Repair

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •