Thread: How to simulate the use of colour filters

Default How to simulate the use of colour filters

Have been reading that its better to shoot a colour image and use PS to duplicate the effects of various colour filters on BnW film. So far I've been attempting to but it doesnt even come close to using actual BnW film and coloured filters.

So far I've been desaturating all the channels save one(say red) and then converting to BnW. This seems to work for the red channel but not the green or blue. I figured I'm probably doing this the wrong way. I'm using PS elements 2.

Anyone able to help?
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

hi maybe this website is of a little help?
    taken from erictan888's post on how to use curves
    http://www.thegoldenmean.com/technique/curves1.html

they have a mini section on adjusting white balance and adjusting contrast for BnW. I guess filters on BnW contributes to adjustment of contrast?

hope it helps
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Here's my workflow for your reference.

1) Create a "Levels" adjustment layer (go to "Layer" -> "Adjustment Layer" -> "Levels")

2) Close the layer...you'll use it later

3) Create a "Hue/Saturation" layer (as above)

4) Slide the Saturation bar all the way to the left to desaturate the pic

5) Close the layer

6) Open the Levels layer you created just now

7) Choose individual channels (Red/Green/Blue) and tweak the highlight/midtones/shadows of each color seperately. This will simulate the colored filter for B/W films.

8) Flatten the image and discard the color info (Mode -> Greyscale)

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoned
    Have been reading that its better to shoot a colour image and use PS to duplicate the effects of various colour filters on BnW film. So far I've been attempting to but it doesnt even come close to using actual BnW film and coloured filters.

So far I've been desaturating all the channels save one(say red) and then converting to BnW. This seems to work for the red channel but not the green or blue. I figured I'm probably doing this the wrong way. I'm using PS elements 2.

Anyone able to help?

hmm thanks. Will try it out. Btw yyk, elements 2 has no curves. Thanks both of you for the reply anyway
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)