Thread: 30min limit on video

Default 30min limit on video

I thought it was a technical/engineering thing. Didn't know that it was because they don't want digital cameras to be classified as video cameras - which have additional tariffs. So probably a simple firmware upgrade will remove this limit eventually.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/05...igital-cameras

Default Re: 30min limit on video

It's also a Economical thing, if all dslr could function 100% like a videocam, then they will lose profits from their video cams. There will not be a need to buy an additional video cam if the dslr can do the same job & even better at it

wait till your sensor overheat.

Quote Originally Posted by eleveninth
    wait till your sensor overheat.
    That's the excuse.

It's always been well-known that it was due to the taxation in europe...
    Alpha

I wonder if a magic lantern hack (firmware hack) can get around this.

Quote Originally Posted by nathaniel View Post
    I wonder if a magic lantern hack (firmware hack) can get around this.
    very long already have

Quote Originally Posted by eleveninth

very long already have
    Any report of sensor overheating and camera dying?

Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    Any report of sensor overheating and camera dying?
    Few of my friends did. Used 5Dmk2's and overheated within minutes of continuous shoot. Anyway the 15minute mark is good enough for films. Unless you're doing interviews, might as well get a P2 cam.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgdevilzz

Few of my friends did. Used 5Dmk2's and overheated within minutes of continuous shoot. Anyway the 15minute mark is good enough for films. Unless you're doing interviews, might as well get a P2 cam.
    What happens when it overheats? Video shuttering or shutdown? I have yet to experience that issue on my 5d2 but I usually do short clips of no more than 10min.

I am no technical person but it always puzzle me how other simpler video devices like my 200 bucks gopro2 can do near 2 hrs of perfect recording in 1080p, while the 5d2 heats up n choke a quarter of that recording duration.

Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy

What happens when it overheats? Video shuttering or shutdown? I have yet to experience that issue on my 5d2 but I usually do short clips of no more than 10min.

I am no technical person but it always puzzle me how other simpler video devices like my 200 bucks gopro2 can do near 2 hrs of perfect recording in 1080p, while the 5d2 heats up n choke a quarter of that recording duration.
    if u have magic lantern hack on your 5d it can go over tht if nt most prolly ull get the thermometer icon popping up and itll stop recording footage, thats from a "safety" feature implement so as to stop the sensor from heating up too much. ull prolly notice the body gets pretty hot while using video.

some ppl have said they get hot pixels if they film for too long, but seriously no one films tht long unless u are doing interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by eleveninth View Post
    if u have magic lantern hack on your 5d it can go over tht if nt most prolly ull get the thermometer icon popping up and itll stop recording footage, thats from a "safety" feature implement so as to stop the sensor from heating up too much. ull prolly notice the body gets pretty hot while using video.

some ppl have said they get hot pixels if they film for too long, but seriously no one films tht long unless u are doing interviews.
    interview also need cut into many scenes, else really bore to death.

seminars, speech, performance usually need long duration, but then, isn't it a waste to use DSLR instead of normal video cameras?
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

a solution to the Euro regulation may be in sight... a very far "sight", but still better than nothing...

"30 minute limit on video capture could end if WTO group gets its way"