Thread: Picture.com

Default Picture.com

Hi, I've just received a letter from Picture.com saying my picture has been advanced to the finalist for the competition, and at the same time asking for my approval to publish it in a book call Endless Journey. This sounds like good news but...

Attached inside the letter is a copy of order form, saying I can purchase the book at $20 cheaper. (I've read the post about Singapore with Love and some people mentioned 'how much is your photo worth?'... and I understand that I won't get the book for free for allowing only 1 photo to be published..) Nevertheless, does it sound like marketting gimmick, or that's the norm in this industry?

P.S please forgive my ignorance.. i'm new to photography

if i dun remember wrongly, it's a hoax.
    sigh.

Default Definetly

Definetly, I have got the same thing too. And kept asking you to purcahse this and that and you have got some throphy which require you to fly down there to collect.
    Its another way of advertising and asking you to buy more things.
    I just send them an email asking them to stop all the mail sending to me as I find it ridicules.

Quote Originally Posted by epia
    Hi, I've just received a letter from Picture.com saying my picture has been advanced to the finalist for the competition, and at the same time asking for my approval to publish it in a book call Endless Journey. This sounds like good news but...

Attached inside the letter is a copy of order form, saying I can purchase the book at $20 cheaper. (I've read the post about Singapore with Love and some people mentioned 'how much is your photo worth?'... and I understand that I won't get the book for free for allowing only 1 photo to be published..) Nevertheless, does it sound like marketting gimmick, or that's the norm in this industry?

P.S please forgive my ignorance.. i'm new to photography
    just tell them to send you the book for free in exchange for your approval to publish your pic.

Quote Originally Posted by zaren
    just tell them to send you the book for free in exchange for your approval to publish your pic.
    Haha... so how do I know if a competition is real/fake?

Quote Originally Posted by epia
    Haha... so how do I know if a competition is real/fake?
    Send me $20 and I send you an email declaring you the winner.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    Haha I get your point.. tnks guys... Are there any distinctive features, other then asking for money? Or rather should I say if it's a real thing, then they will send you the book for free?
    Last edited by epia; 5th January 2005 at 10:08 PM.

In the first place, did you submit any pictures to this picture.com?

I received an SMS a few months ago too. saying my picture was accepted in picture.com. But there is no such website and i never submitted any.

Yup, I did submit a picture to them. And now they mail me the artist's info form (name, age, 100words description) , notice form (telling me im the finalist now... winner to be announced in spring) and the permission paper... with the book-order .......

For $60 you'll get a trophy in the mail from me.

Thanks, but that didn't help on your 2nd attempt. Remember I'm NOT obliged to send in, so now the risk is more on my personal particular. And I'm interested to know how to differeciate real/fake competitions now, rather then sticking to the popular ones only. This serve as a good learning thread to other photogs who are in doubt too.

Default Thread from FM

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/167795/0#1363315

Straight forward and simple answer... maybe fellow photogs will want to take a peek.

Thanks clown, ambient, zaren and pro-new for trying to help