Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to Shoot Firework??

Default Re: Trouble with Night Shoot

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    No black card. Cam + tripod, shoot in bulb mode exposure 7-8 secs.

Of cos the timing (know when to squeeze the trigger and let go) is crucial... so the fireworks smoke wun gets in your way. My old shot above still have some smoke though.
    "shoot in bulb mode exposure 7-8 secs" this one care to explain?

the bulk shuttle is new to me, as i google, is it as i set shuttle to bulk, i can half press the fire button, say from 6 to 30 sec, in between the right time, just snap off? if yes, will at different sec time frame produce different result,? ie the longer i wait to snap, the over explore it will? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buzzmario

the bulk shuttle is new to me, as i google, is it as i set shuttle to bulk, i can half press the fire button, say from 6 to 30 sec, in between the right time, just snap off? if yes, will at different sec time frame produce different result,? ie the longer i wait to snap, the over explore it will? thanks
    Dude. The correct words are "bulb", "shutter" and "overexposure".

I don't know if I understand you correctly, but in general, the longer your exposure, more light will enter, causing the scene to be brighter, possibly leading to overexposure.

In any case, most cameras can be preset to shoot at a shutter speed of 8 seconds. Bulb mode tends to be more useful for exposure of over 30 seconds.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

Quote Originally Posted by buzzmario View Post
    thanks rhino for the reason of off the IS. btw, as i google, taking night shoot, will it be better using M mode, using the low shutter speed to control the lighting into the sensor rather than using A mode? thanks
    Actually it is up to your own personal preference. I would prefer to let my camera do a bit of work in calculating the shutter speed for me. Of course you can use Manual mode and had full control of both aperture and shutter speed.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Bulb mode is useful in firework shoot as you can control shutter duration after pressing shutter release. Useful even under 30s as the numbers of fireworks exploding in unpredictable.

Quote Originally Posted by buzzmario View Post

The basic of bulb mode is that the shutter will remain open as long as you press the shutter release button.

For firework, we normally use bulb mode because it is very difficult to predict the timing of the firework. Of course the longer the exposure, more light will enter the sensor and that might in term cause over exposure.

Note: There really is no actual timing to prevent over exposure in some scene like the firework, many variation came into play - things like smoke, different type of firework, location, etc would actually cause overexposure of your shots. Note that some of the fireworks that I took only had 2 sec exposure, some would easily hit 10sec.
    Last edited by rhino123; 17th May 2012 at 09:40 AM.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Guys... The whole fireworks topic came from a THREAD CRASHER. Please stop derailing the original thread.

We have about 200 threads all about firework shooting. We can read/continue there.
    Alpha

I think I willl split this thread into two. Let me do it in this afternoon when I'm using PC.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    because due to the darkness of the land, 0EV can even be underexposed. and darkness of the land also refers to mountains, buildings etc.

i tend to hit +0.7EV when i do night photography.
    yup - so I've actually suggested using live view, which is something I do actually

Set ISO and aperture, open live view, adjust AF box to midtones and do a first metering, then further adjust shutter speed to achieve the ideal/preferred exposure

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    I think I willl split this thread into two. Let me do it in this afternoon when I'm using PC.
    good idea!

Default Re: How to Shoot Firework??

Hi boss, some of answers were for the other thread on night photography

don't blame me, blame those who anyhow post....

ok lar, tell me which post #, I duplicate the posts and place it there.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

look here for the original thread
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/newbi...ml#post7910985

Quote Originally Posted by avsquare View Post
    Why not just use Manual mode and meter? Set ISO and aperture and adjust shutter accordingly until the exposure meter says it's at 0EV?

Anyways, what the meter says may not be the correct exposure or the exposure you prefer. Another way to check is use LV to check.
    that's why i'm not an expert =p

My most-used and default mode is Aperture mode, I'll usually try with that mode first and see the result and dynamic range. I'm still learning and my eyes not that sensitive yet, sometimes thought the dynamic range fits the sensor but turns out otherwise. If it fits I'll just use Aperture mode, if situation tricky then I'll use Manual mode, using the settings I metered before as a starting point. Noted your method of using Live-view for metering and try it next time thanks for sharing!

Getting the 'correct' exposure is another topic on it's own altogether, so whole books have been written about it
    And after my reading the conclusion is that it's again 'subjective'

Quote Originally Posted by thoongeng View Post
    um... yeah i know... your point being?
    Last edited by kei1309; 17th May 2012 at 11:33 PM.

ok lar, tell me which post #, I duplicate the posts and place it there.
    hi Uncle Catchlights!

in this thread

#15 to #20, #22 - #23, #25, #28

This time I'm innocent hor
    Alpha

um... yeah i know... your point being?
    =p sorry misunderstanding... i just thought of cross linking the 2 threads so other people can read if they wanted to
    should have just waiting for the boss to work his magic hehe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12