Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 254045484950

Thread: You'll Never Walk Alone! LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB discussion. *63* - New Gaffer is??

Default Re: You'll Never Walk Alone! LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB discussion. *63* - New Gaffer is

BR: Sigurdsson upped wage demand

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has claimed midfielder Gylfi Sigurdsson's increased wage demands scuppered his move to Anfield.

A deal had been struck with the Iceland international for him to return to Swansea - where he had spent the latter half of last season on loan - but when
    Rodgers moved to Anfield that move hit the rocks.

The Reds then appeared to be in pole position because of the player's relationship with the manager but when discussions began over finances Rodgers discovered the 22-year-old was asking for more money than he had agreed at Swansea.

Rodgers did not feel that was justified and, as a result, Sigurdsson signed for Tottenham - because of the club's ambition and quality squad according to the player.

"He wasn't playing at Hoffenheim, I brought him to Swansea and he did very well for me there, scoring seven goals in 19 games and was very good," said the Reds boss, who succeeded Kenny Dalglish just over a month ago.

"He and I both sat and spoke and believed that playing football was going to be the most important aspect for him.

"But obviously it was important financially so we agreed a deal for him to go to Swansea and that was wrapped up.

"I then became the Liverpool manager and that then wasn't something that was going to happen at Swansea so he then had a choice of where he wanted to go.

"I knew what the market was and I wasn't prepared to pay anything over what I had known was agreed before.

"Liverpool would have provided Gylfi with a wonderful opportunity to perform with a manager that he knows and at a club which is a real footballing institution.

"But he's decided to go to Tottenham, for whatever reason.

"I wish him the best, he's a good kid and there's no ill feeling. We've got other targets and we'll move on."

Rodgers is now looking at other targets to bring in this summer but wants players who will fit in with his way of working and the club itself and dovetail with the current squad.

"I've got a bunch of wonderful players here," he told liverpoolfc.com.

"I'm going to take time to have a look at that. I believe there's one or two areas that I'll need to improve on for sure but overall the core of the group is strong.

"But like any manager, you want to add the other pieces that can complete your jigsaw and that's something that we're doing over a period of time.

"This window for the summer, you either had to get your business in early or it was going to run over towards the end of the window, just purely because of all the games and holidays and championships and everything that was going on.

"We're doing a lot of work off the field in terms of potential players to come in, but it will only be a certain type of player that will fit the model here at Liverpool."

Many of his squad have yet to return to pre-season training because of their involvement in summer internationals but those who were back at Melwood this week have already had an introduction to what Rodgers wants to achieve and how he wants to do so.

"The last couple of days were really about painting the vision so that people understand what direction we're moving in," said the 39-year-old.

"We had a really good meeting with the staff on Tuesday. I just felt it was important from the very first day with the staff they understand how I work, my values and morals on and off the field.

"Then obviously for the players it's about what I can do to help them achieve what it is they want to achieve, and let them understand the principles of how I'm going to work and look at the direction which the club is moving in.

"They understand where I'm coming from, from day one, which is important.

"There's no mystery behind it, they understand the vision and the culture that we're trying to create here.

"We can now move forward in confidence and look to work hard and work well."
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

Default Re: You'll Never Walk Alone! LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB discussion. *63* - New Gaffer is

curry sauce!!!

Is it time Liverpool finally cash in on a traditional winger?

John Barnes, arguably the last wide sensation who gave the Kop something to shout about.

It could be said that Liverpool haven’t done themselves much justice when acquiring wide personnel in recent years, with the likes of Kewell, Riera, Kuyt and Benayoun filling in the wide spots. Obviously I have the most outright respect for them all, as I do with any player which puts on the famous red shirt, but they just hadn’t produced what had been asked of them during their careers at Anfield. They just didn’t feel like true traditional wingers, which Liverpool so badly needed in their ranks to push for that 19th title. I’m not saying Liverpool hasn’t ever had traditional wingers in the squad because we have (Jermaine Pennant and Ryan Babel), but again I feel that they performed more like “squad players”; players who could easily fit into a mid-table Premier League team as apposed to a top four side like Liverpool (at the time).

However this season looks much more promising in terms of wide men due to the number of quality wingers reported to sign for Liverpool and the emergence of wonder kid Raheem Sterling, which has also been in the limelight of recent. Can Liverpool finally find a solution to sort out their winger headache now under Brendan Rodgers?

I think it would be wise to start this article off by distinguishing what a traditional winger is and how they are expected to play. A traditional winger, firstly and most importantly, must be able to read attacking aspects of the game adequately. This is a crucial trait to have for a traditional winger as it allows them to pick out the killer crosses and passes to penetrate the opponents from the sides of the pitch. A traditional winger also should use blend of agility and skill. I say blend because you can get wingers who only use pace such as Lennon and Walcott and wingers who only use skill, such as Hazard. This mix of attributes can allow the winger to take wing backs and other players completely out of the game so they then can produce a cross or a vital pass into the box. The last thing I feel a traditional winger should have is a flicker of vision to know exactly where the striker or attacking midfielder is when making a decisive pass/cross.

Let’s look at some of Liverpool’s previous players who have occupied the wide spots in recent seasons and evaluate their stats:

As you can see from the chart I have colour coded the stats accordingly so I can give you a personal opinion of what I think of them .It is clear that in recent years Liverpool haven’t found the traditional winger they’ve have been looking for. I feel that getting an assist average of 16.6 in an average of 140 games between the six players is an awful statistic. Kuyt, Kewell and Benayoun were never traditional wingers anyway since Kuyt was a striker by trade along with Kewell and Benayoun being preferable central attackers rather than wingers. Riera wasn’t given much playing time under Benitez, nor was Pennant and Babel was frequently put in different positions so he never had time to settle in one particular spot.

Now returning to modern era of Liverpool Football Club our current wingers Maxi, Bellamy and Downing also haven’t impressed on the wings. Let’s have a look at their stats:

The three players average out 6 assists in an average of 50 appearances between them. These averages are roughly the same in comparison to the other set of statistics and that isn’t a good sign in the slightest. However, the positioning problem still exists. Maxi has a tendency to cut in a lot and get himself into shooting positions, hence his positive scoring record and Bellamy has also been deployed in a striking role for the majority of the season. Downing is the only player who has permanently kept on the wing for the whole season but he underperformed as a whole, not being able to record a single goal or assist during the Premier League campaign.

Finally coming to the last segment of this article I’ll be looking at some of the speculated wingers that Liverpool have been linked with, also giving an opinion on whether or not I think they’ll personally join the club this transfer window. Here are the players and their stats:

Scott Sinclair:

Sinclair has a fiery scoring record under his belt for Swansea. Even though he may not exactly be the traditional winger we’ve been looking for in terms of assisting the team, his stats show that he appears to be a proven goal scorer from a wide position. Despite the fact that he takes penalties for Swansea, Sinclair still has a great scoring record for a 23 year old wide man. He is also very quick and can take multiple players on and he can utilise a decent cross. However, the likeliness of Liverpool signing Sinclair seems very unlikely as he plays for Swansea and it was reported that Brendan had signed an agreement with Swansea which denies him from signing any Swansea players.

Gaston Ramirez:

Ramirez is a young yet talented footballer. He has bags of potential at his feet and he is also Uruguayan so he can link up with Luis Suarez. For his current club Bologna he is usually disposed in a central forward role but he can also play on the wing too. For a 21 year old his stats for Bologna are decent, not sparkling but decent enough. Like Sinclair he seems to score more goals than assists, which can be a pleasing trait as Liverpool struggled last season to convert our chances into goals. The possibility of Ramirez signing is high. Countless Italian newspapers have reported an agreed deal with the Uruguayan youngster.

Adam Johnson:

Adam Johnson is the perfect traditional winger Liverpool has been looking for in my opinion. He can score goals from a wide position but he also has the ability to read the attacking aspects of the game well which has been proven in his time at Manchester City. Johnson also has a great knowledge of the Premier League despite his young age of just 24. He also has phenomenal cross on him, which is what Liverpool have missed in the last few seasons; especially now after Carroll seems to be hitting expected form. Johnson is a living example of a player who uses a balance between agility and skill when attacking. He can dash past unsuspected players or simply make a mess of them using skill. However, if Johnson was to sign for Liverpool he wouldn’t be cheap. Considering Manchester City are somewhat our close rivals they won’t be expecting to offload Johnson even with the talent in their squad. I’m not entirely sure Rodgers will heavily invest in Johnson alone as he said himself he wants to bring in “three to four players” and Johnson’s price tag may be too high acknowledging our reported transfer budget of £30-35 million.

Juan Vargas:

It can’t be denied that Vargas is a complete powerhouse down the left side of the field, however his age alters my final opinion on him. The 28 year old might be what Liverpool need to provide the dynamic play that we so desperately need, however, since Vargas is 28 I can strongly say that he is withdrawing from his peak, if not, fully passing it. Vargas has been speculated maybe two or three times so it is unclear whether Liverpool will be signing him or not. Personally I don’t think we will sign, nor do I want him to sign due to his age. Liverpool also need to plan their investments when making signings and I don’t think Vargas would be the best possible investment Rodgers could make at this moment in time.

Raheem Sterling:

Even though Sterling is already a Liverpool player the question that everyone would love to know is that “Will Sterling feature more in the upcoming season?”. The 17 year old already seems to be a hit with Rodgers as it was announced last week that Rodgers wanted Sterling on loan at Swansea last season. Brendan obviously has a clear interest in Sterling, as recent training photos have shown that Sterling could have possibly broken through into the Liverpool first team training sessions. The kid undoubtedly has talent. We even saw glimpses with the small cameo Sterling made towards the end of last season, not forgetting the 5 goals he netted against Southend in the reserve team. I really hope, as I’m sure most of Liverpool’s fans also hope that Sterling will feature more in the upcoming campaign.

So what now for Liverpool’s wide man catastrophe? Will our current wide men pick up the pace for Rodgers next season or will Brendan have to cash in on some raw talent?

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecake View Post
    back then we had fowler, murphy, berger, hamann.
    and Gerard Houllier

Quote Originally Posted by wong_se View Post
    and Gerard Houllier
    yes........ hmmm.....

Up for the new seasoo

we will we will rock it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

Let's Get Ready to GUESS GUESS GUESS!!![/COLOR]

Correct Score Prediction = 3points!

Correct 1st Scorer for LFC = 1point!

Correct Last Scorer for LFC = 1point!

Hat-Trick Hero Perfect Guess Guess Guess! = 5points!

so in any game, the max point a participant can net is a total of 10points.

Sorting Out the Grey Areas.

1). in the event of 1-0 end result, the 1st scorer will be taken as the last scorer even though the participant might haf anticipated 2-0 or 22-0 and have listed someone else as the last scorer.

2). the prediction is good till the Final Whistle, which includes Extra-time but not Penalty Shootout.

List of Hat-Trick Hero/es for this season:

1). WongLP --- 11/1/12 manSipTea vs. LFC (League Cup Semi Final 1st leg), 1-0 Victory with Stevie G scoring.
    2). Grumpy --- 28/4/2012 Norwich City vs. LFC (Premier League), 3-0 victory to LFC with Suarez grabbing a hat-trick!
    3). sunnyday --- 23/5/2012 Sunderland vs. manCircle utd kelong clowns, 1-0 victory to the clowns with looney scoring.

League Table!

1). zaren 89pts ---> The MASTER KELONGSTER.
    2). Grumpy 58pts
    3). roadrunner 71pts
    4). Cheesecake 44pts ---> I am the kelong!!!
    5). fotoudavid 33pts ---> rodz i want my 3rd spot!!
    6). Airfins 31pts ----> RUNNING AWAY!!!
    7). ahyooo 30pts ---> how the mighty has fallen! kekekeke >< The Fallen shall rise again >< --> watch too much transformers! :P
    8). bro rodz 30pts
    9). sunnyday 21pts
    10). blazer_workz 20pts
    11). philip113 20pts
    12). shunzi 13pts
    13). wonglp 12pts
    14). Canew 10pts
    15). Koplady11 6pts
    16). Actor13 6pts
    17). Taurean 5pts
    18). nemesis32 1pt ----> disappeared!
    19). photo-orama 1pt.

UEFA EURO 2012!!!

The Euro is here again and this time, we have made it easier.
    just guess the correct score and you will get all 10pts!
    its the ultimate kelong chance to win the kelong GuessX3 league!! com'on you REDS!!!

*Special! Special!*

GUESS THE GRAND CHAMPION OF EURO2012 from the last 8!!
    Correct Guess nets you 20pts!!

*all kelongsters must submit their one and only choice out of the 8 quarter-finalists before the first quarter final game kick off.*

1). England!! CC (wahahahahahaha!!)
    2). Germany !!! grumpy
    3. Germany sunny day
    4) Germany! zaren
    5) Spain !! roadrunner ----------> wa like that also can??!!! win! ---> kelong. 20pts.
    ---- ENDED!! -------

2/7/2012 0245GMT
    Spain vs. Italy!!
    Final!!

4-0!!!!

1). 2-1 Italy Win!! CC
    2. 1-1 sunnyday
    3). 1-0 Italy roDz
    4) 1-0 Spain WIN! zaren
    5) 2-1 spain win philip113 last burst of fire
    6) 2-3 Italy WIN!!! blazer_wokz
    7) 1-0 Spain WIN!! roadrunner

Our new striker?? LoL

1). in the event of 1-0 end result, the 1st scorer will be taken as the last scorer even though the participant might haf anticipated 2-0 or 22-0 and have listed someone else as the last scorer.

2). the prediction is good till the Final Whistle, which includes Extra-time but not Penalty Shootout.

1). WongLP --- 11/1/12 manSipTea vs. LFC (League Cup Semi Final 1st leg), 1-0 Victory with Stevie G scoring.
    2). Grumpy --- 28/4/2012 Norwich City vs. LFC (Premier League), 3-0 victory to LFC with Suarez grabbing a hat-trick!
    3). sunnyday --- 23/5/2012 Sunderland vs. manCircle utd kelong clowns, 1-0 victory to the clowns with looney scoring.

final League Table for the kelong August 2011 to July 2012!!!

2). roadrunner 71pts
    3). Grumpy 58pts
    7). ahyooo 30pts ---> how the mighty has fallen! kekekeke >< The Fallen shall rise again >< --> watch too much transformers! :P
    8). bro rodz 30pts
    9). sunnyday 21pts
    10). blazer_workz 20pts
    11). philip113 20pts
    12). shunzi 13pts
    13). wonglp 12pts
    14). Canew 10pts
    15). Koplady11 6pts
    16). Actor13 6pts
    17). Taurean 5pts
    19). photo-orama 1pt.

final League Table for the kelong August 2011 to July 2012!!!

2). roadrunner 71pts
    3). Grumpy 58pts
    8). bro rodz 30pts
    9). sunnyday 21pts
    10). blazer_workz 20pts
    11). philip113 20pts
    12). shunzi 13pts
    13). wonglp 12pts
    14). Canew 10pts
    15). Koplady11 6pts
    16). Actor13 6pts
    17). Taurean 5pts
    19). photo-orama 1pt.

Congratulations to Bro Zaren for his outstanding kelong style.

I can see that he made a huge pile from Euro12.

Let's Get Ready to GUESS GUESS GUESS!!!

NEW!! List of Grandmaster Kelongster:

1). Season August 2011 - July 2012: Zaren

here!!!

new thread!!!!

Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 254045484950