Thread: A sad message from my school..

Post A sad message from my school.. (Tsunami victims)

Hi,

Here's a link to a site in my school about the tsunami disaster... Really saddening...

4th January 2005

The Tsunami Disaster and the Patana Community

Dear Parents and Friends,

As the after-effects of the earthquake and tsunami across the region are becoming known, and as we at school have been able to contact our BPS families and staff, it is with much sadness that I can inform you of the losses to the Patana community to date:

Philipon family

In this family father Jerome and mother Florence survived as well as their daughter Mathilde in Year 3J. Their son Charles, Year 2M, died along with his two younger brothers who were not yet at school. The funeral of Charles took place in France last Friday.

Hoy Family

Khun Nimnuam (Nim) who is one of the classroom assistants in Nursery has survived. Tragically David in Year 4J and Kate in Year 3L are confirmed dead Mr. John Hoy and the older son Robert in Year 8W are still missing. The funeral rites for Kate and David took place in Phetchaburi Province last Thursday.

D’Avola Family

Mr.& Mrs. D’Avola as well as Gianluca in Year 6A have been confirmed as dead or as missing presumed dead. The 20 year old sister survived and is being looked after by the Italian embassy.

Mrs. Ingeborg Muller who taught German as a Home Language at Patana, is confirmed as having died, along with her husband, on Kho Lak.

Our heartfelt sympathy goes to these families of ours so tragically bereaved.

To date, we believe that all the teaching and support staff have been accounted for. Several had, quite literally, amazing escapes and we are thankful that the reported injuries have been promptly and effectively dealt with.

Since last Friday classteachers and tutors have been contacting the families of children in their classes to confirm that school will reopen, as normal, tomorrow, Wednesday 5th January at 07.40 and to update them with the current situation. My apologies if you have not been personally contacted as yet but with some families only returning to Bangkok this evening, or not easily contactable, there might be some gaps.

Following discussion and advice from the School counsellors a number of strategies have been put in place to support children and staff who have been affected by the disaster and the death of friends and students. These include time for discussion; appropriate activities and the provision of areas of retreat and access to counsellors. All staff are very aware of the need to be sensitive to children’s reactions but also that by quickly re-establishing everyday routines it will assist children / students in the healing process.

Information will be updated on the school’s website and by hardcopy (such as the Patana News) and by e-mail as appropriate. This will include ways in which Patana can assist in fundraising for the shattered communities in the region - a donation of tents has already been sent to southern Thailand - and the link http://www.patana.ac.th/events/tsunami.htm will direct you to other practical ways of supporting those affected by the disaster.

Yours sincerely,

Robert Thornhill

Acting Head of School

I pray for those who have lost their lives and hope for those families that they will recover soon.
    Last edited by nickmak; 4th January 2005 at 10:51 PM.
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

Blog Entries

real bummer, nick...

my wife just told me last nite a girl in her school was caught by the tidal waves too. thank God, she was saved and only suffered cuts and bruising. she's resting at home now, and my wife's school told her parents to take their time to bring their child back to school.

locally, last nite's news reported a girls from CHIJ was also missing....
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed.” ― Deeksha Mittal

Phildate
    Guests

Hey Nick,

As a teacher in an International School here in Singapore, I know Patana quite well, having visited last year to meet with Mr Ian Jones and others in the Maths Dept. It saddened me greatly to read this letter and makes me even more aware of just how lucky our community here has been to not have been directly affected at all.

Thanks for posting - I am sure many of my colleagues will be interested (but saddened) to read it too.

My condolences.
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

Quote Originally Posted by Phildate
    Hey Nick,

As a teacher in an International School here in Singapore, I know Patana quite well, having visited last year to meet with Mr Ian Jones and others in the Maths Dept. It saddened me greatly to read this letter and makes me even more aware of just how lucky our community here has been to not have been directly affected at all.

Thanks for posting - I am sure many of my colleagues will be interested (but saddened) to read it too.
    Hi,

Wow... I didn't know you knew Mr. Jones here. He's my physics teacher. I was worried for Mr. Jones too because he's the type of guy who goes on expeditions at any time possible and didn't know if he was affected. Sad news though, my math teacher, Mr. Michael Lyons (I don't know if you know him) was badly injured in the tsunami and won't be back in school for two weeks. Sigh, hope he gets well fast so that we can continue with our maths revision.
    Last edited by nickmak; 5th January 2005 at 10:51 AM.
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

i havent heard from my school yet :S i hope no one was affected... *sigh*
    Budget wedding photographer :)