Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying Nikon 35mm F1.8G - Need to check anything?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Buying Nikon 35mm F1.8G - Need to check anything?

Quote Originally Posted by babytweety View Post
    Hi all!
    Gonna buy my 1st lens as mentioned above. Do I need to check anything? Tia.
    You might want to check the lens...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wolfton View Post
    I thought TS was going to buy a resale set when I saw the title. Well since you are getting brand new, then do not have to worry so much. As long as under warranty, any focusing problem can be solved free. Just check that it is working as it should by test shooting how you normally would. Leave the damn focus chart at home
    Not all focusing problems can be solved free... there has at least been one case that NSC comes back and say the focus accuracy problem cannot be solve.. sorry... That was for a 50/1.4D

so.. better check... to be safe rather than sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123

Not all focusing problems can be solved free... there has at least been one case that NSC comes back and say the focus accuracy problem cannot be solve.. sorry... That was for a 50/1.4D

Happened to me too, they say my 35mm f1.8 has front focus but it's within factory standards do they didn't solve it.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123

Huh even if it is under warranty? I will leave a hole on the CSO table if he tell me that and ask me to bring back without solving the problem.

NSC can't be that jialat right? Sorry I just crossed to Nikon not too long ago....
    "Time is often the best editor" - Alex Webb

Huh even if it is under warranty? I will leave a hole on the CSO table if he tell me that and ask me to bring back without solving the problem.

NSC can't be that jialat right? Sorry I just crossed to Nikon not too long ago....
    not to start any flame war, but tbh I've heard stories about NSC..

just do your due diligence and check the goods before leaving the shop. even if NSC do it for free, why waste your time to do down and wait?

Quote Originally Posted by avsquare

not to start any flame war, but tbh I've heard stories about NSC..

just do your due diligence and check the goods before leaving the shop. even if NSC do it for free, why waste your time to do down and wait?
    Oh I guess I have been spoilt by CSC. As long as my item is under warranty, never once have I been rejected any servicing or repair.

Anyway, did suggested to TS to check at the shop. Hope he can find a good copy
    "Time is often the best editor" - Alex Webb

Blog Entries

It is nothing about jia lat or not...

You need to understand about tolerances... it is not just on the lens.. but also on your camera body.

That is why you see professionals will always get cameras with AF Fine tune.

You might also want to read this...
    http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2008...nd-other-myths
    and this
    http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2010...nd-other-facts
    Last edited by daredevil123; 17th May 2012 at 03:49 AM.

Blog Entries

Oh I guess I have been spoilt by CSC. As long as my item is under warranty, never once have I been rejected any servicing or repair.

Anyway, did suggested to TS to check at the shop. Hope he can find a good copy
    And NSC will not reject the servicing or repair... they will do what they can. But if they cannot do it after they tried, they cannot do it. It is as simple as that. Even if you bring a Canon lenses in to CSC, it is the same. The most they can offer you is to swap another piece for you. But if it is an older piece, with no stock left, there is nothing they can do too.

That is why, always test in the shop, when buying lenses from whatever brand.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    It is nothing about jia lat or not...

You need to understand about tolerances... it is not just on the lens.. but also on your camera body.

That is why you see professionals will always get cameras with AF Fine tune.

You might also want to read this...
    LensRentals.com - "This lens is soft" and other myths
    and this
    LensRentals.com - “This Lens Is Soft” and Other Facts
    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    And NSC will not reject the servicing or repair... they will do what they can. But if they cannot do it after they tried, they cannot do it. It is as simple as that. Even if you bring a Canon lenses in to CSC, it is the same. The most they can offer you is to swap another piece for you. But if it is an older piece, with no stock left, there is nothing they can do too.

That is why, always test in the shop, when buying lenses from whatever brand.
    Thanks for the insight. I guess if it is problem with camera rather than lens, then of course it is not fair to bang table...but if it's the problem on the lens under warranty, then I will go all out to make hell in the service center if they can't fix it.

Of course got to check when buying la, that's the most important. Actually if a lens got focusing issue, it can be seen pretty obviously. At least that have been my experience. And I never heard any of my pro friends going for calibration, well, because they never shoot focus charts...

And I never heard any of my pro friends going for calibration, well, because they never shoot focus charts...
    That might also be the case whereby most professional had professional grade DSLR which come with micro adjustment, so they can do their own calibration whenever needed.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Need to check wallet for enough cash or credit balance if u intend to swipe
    Mine full name-Betta Macrostoma
    Can call me Betta.

Just joking
    Mine full name-Betta Macrostoma
    Can call me Betta.

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    That might also be the case whereby most professional had professional grade DSLR which come with micro adjustment, so they can do their own calibration whenever needed.
    5D classic got no such function right? And this friend of mine just had an exhibition last year, which was covered by SPH too.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the insight. I guess if it is problem with camera rather than lens, then of course it is not fair to bang table...but if it's the problem on the lens under warranty, then I will go all out to make hell in the service center if they can't fix it.

Of course got to check when buying la, that's the most important. Actually if a lens got focusing issue, it can be seen pretty obviously. At least that have been my experience. And I never heard any of my pro friends going for calibration, well, because they never shoot focus charts...
    Like I said, it is about tolerances.. your camera might be at one end of the tolerances, and the lens at the other end. Put together... problem... So that is why serious pros always go for cameras with AF fine tune.

There is also another thing to note, which is about DOF. if your lens is only a little off, focusing very close at very large apertures will make the problem more obvious... but in most serious shooting, especially travel and landscape, you will never run into any problems.

And one more thing, banging table usually solves less problems. If you take the time to know people, and talk to them, you will be amazed at the lengths people will go out of their way to help you out.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 17th May 2012 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by betta01
    Just joking
    No worries bro

Wah this topic became so seriiious ah. Relax, chill bros! But a very helpful tips g8ven. Will take note. I just hope i wont kena 'cheated' by the sales persons. . That is more jialat coz me a newbie....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12