Thread: Sensor, and shooting events.

Default Sensor, and shooting events.

Will it matter whether my Nikon camera has 2016, 1005 or 403 pixel RGB sensor when I shoot event using SB900 on TTL auto? Most of the time I use centre-weighted metering and auto white balance.
    D7100,SB910,17-50/2.8OS,105/2.8VR,85/1.8D,2xE-M1,O60/2.8,12-40/2.8,35-100/2.8,14-42,LX100

Default Re: Sensor, and shooting events.

Quote Originally Posted by sin77 View Post
    Will it matter whether my Nikon camera has 2016, 1005 or 403 pixel RGB sensor when I shoot event using SB900 on TTL auto? Most of the time I use centre-weighted metering and auto white balance.
    Nope...just the megapixels. Personally, i use user defined spot metering for general events that have poor/terrible lighting. Nowadays, AWB of newer cameras are pretty good. As for flash work, i leave the flash on Manual as i dont really like TTL for events. Lesser exposure correction work later on in Post.

In all, i would say the glass you use would be the deciding factor for a lot of things.
    Last edited by Reportage; 14th May 2012 at 12:44 AM.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Manual flash is quite troublesome. Sometimes I just use auto flash n adjust ev on flash.

For canon n Sony mid level cameras, do they use 403 or 1005 pix RGB sensor?
    D7100,SB910,17-50/2.8OS,105/2.8VR,85/1.8D,2xE-M1,O60/2.8,12-40/2.8,35-100/2.8,14-42,LX100

Manual flash is quite troublesome. Sometimes I just use auto flash n adjust ev on flash.

If Nikon has it, most probably Sony would also have it because many of Nikon's sensor are from Sony.

And frankly, why do we even care for that? If you are using flash, what is the problem? Even when you are not using flash, Sony, Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Ricoh, Panasonic and Olympus could handle the situation very very well.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Irrelevant. Seriously, why you are thinking that you are dependent on the RGB sensor is beyond me. Did some salesman carrot-chop you?

Different manufacturers also use different methods. For example, the Sony A77 uses a 1200-zone multi-segment metering system. Nikon uses an RGB array. The Canon 7D uses a 63 zone Dual Layer SPC.

Don't get so tied up in thinking about the exact metering technology in a camera that you forget to take pictures - because all cameras can do this just fine.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Irrelevant. Seriously, why you are thinking that you are dependent on the RGB sensor is beyond me. Did some salesman carrot-chop you?

Different manufacturers also use different methods. For example, the Sony A77 uses a 1200-zone multi-segment metering system. Nikon uses an RGB array. The Canon 7D uses a 63 zone Dual Layer SPC.

Don't get so tied up in thinking about the exact metering technology in a camera that you forget to take pictures - because all cameras can do this just fine.
    I saw from websites (i think nikon) says that this will affect challenging metering, auto WB, as well as TTL auto.

Last time when i use D90 the colour and metering like not so accurate, and then when i use D300 the colour rendition was superb and bright (same ev0, auto wb, standard settings etc).

I saw from websites (i think nikon) says that this will affect challenging metering, auto WB, as well as TTL auto.

Last time when i use D90 the colour and metering like not so accurate, and then when i use D300 the colour rendition was superb and bright (same ev0, auto wb, standard settings etc).
    I've seen people say the opposite as well - that entry level cameras have more accurate color and metering, etc.

The important thing is not how many zones/pixels/etc that are used, but in many cases it's understanding how different sensors (the image sensor itself) behaves and how each camera model can have it's own "flavor" then adjust/learn accordingly.
    Alpha

Thats when you really need to know your camera very well. Use the experience you have gained to compensate when the conditions are not in your favour. Thats one of the reasons why my rates now are at their present level.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Thanks for all the replies.

I asked because I am looking at buying a second body.

In any case I have decided and already bought D5100 (403) instead of D7000 (2016), but yet to test it against D300.

In any case I have decided and already bought D5100 (403) instead of D7000 (2016), but yet to test it against D300.
    Doesn't matter how many numbers you have. If it's bad, it's bad. If it's good, it's good. I rather have 12MP of awesomeness than 24MP of crap

Quote Originally Posted by sin77

I can guarantee you that event shooters heck care how many pixel rgb sensor their Nikon camera has.
    Alpha