Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Backup camera

Blog Entries

Default Re: Backup camera

Quote Originally Posted by kriegsketten View Post
    Looks like D700 based on the tag line... which is video-less.
    in that case, if it was me, i would get a camera that has the same lens mount, battery and memory card as my main camera
    then it can truly be called a backup camera.

but the new cameras uses a different battery and memory card format.

so plan for the future when you change your main camera

Blog Entries

eg.

D800, D7000 and the Nikon V1 uses the same battery

and can use the same memory card
    D800 and D7000 can use the same lenses
    the V1 can also but with an adapter

but all can shoot video

so if main camera goes down, the backup camera can take it's place without much fuss

Good point!

However, in TS's case... none of the latest models would fit the bill...

That leaves D300s or D90 for TS for video needs since all shared the same batteries.... D300s uses CF + SD - so CFs can be shared as well. PLUS D700 can share the same Battery grip with D300s (MB-D10)...
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

But seriously... one person handling two person's job is quite erm.... how you put it? Messy...to put it simply.

Being a main tog, he/her job is to capture the really really important moments... Being a videographer, his/her job is ALSO to capture the really really important moments... If you are both... how does one decide which is more the important tool to use than the other for the right moment? If you get a good video sequence... you missed all the important stills... If you get the good stills... you missed all the important video sequences... Go figure...

Jack of all trades. Master of none.

if you're professional you would have a dedicated videographer and photographer.

just sayin'

Agreed... Usually get 2 body so no need to change lens... Not because use 1 for still 1 for video... Don't think can handle, unless is plan until swee swee... But then again, tio BBB virus, nevermind lar, just buy the one u fancy.... Life short, enjoy first lar...

Blog Entries

Good point!

However, in TS's case... none of the latest models would fit the bill...

That leaves D300s or D90 for TS for video needs since all shared the same batteries.... D300s uses CF + SD - so CFs can be shared as well. PLUS D700 can share the same Battery grip with D300s (MB-D10)...
    Hello... rolling shutter...

seriously, some one even did a test of the hacked GH2 with the D800 video... Let's just say that the results show that the GH2 can really keep up... and the D800 a little embarrassed.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    in that case, if it was me, i would get a camera that has the same lens mount, battery and memory card as my main camera
    then it can truly be called a backup camera.

but the new cameras uses a different battery and memory card format.

so plan for the future when you change your main camera
    +1

I don't know how many times I have swapped batteries and memory card from one cam to the next in emergencies...

Is Nikon D700 Obsolete?

i guess most places are with D700 OOS. so is even getting a second hand d700 worthy still?
    if do plan to head into FL wedding photography, is D3s overkill?

just asking around as D4/D800 never really enter my mind, one too ex while the other kill my memory cards.

Quote Originally Posted by akagi07
    Is Nikon D700 Obsolete?

i guess most places are with D700 OOS. so is even getting a second hand d700 worthy still?

just asking around as D4/D800 never really enter my mind, one too ex while the other kill my memory cards.
    Hi, currently i have my D7000 for back up and the main on D800, after you has shoots it for while, and found the back up cam really want to keep or just left at dry cabinet.

If you're really is the professional photographer sure you need it more & more you wont ask ppls to advise you need or not.

Cause due to working with photographer and sometime will facing the battery flat or memory card failure, on the spot can bring up the back up body to shoot is end of the day.

D700 obsolete? Hardly the case. It is still available in MY if you looked hard enough and at a good price. In fact, it was recently reissued to the stores in the states. I don't know exactly why Sg do not stock D700... Probably not to cannibalise on sales of D800... If u do happen to find a piece, I'll bet that the price is still the same since before D800 was released...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by akagi07 View Post
    Is Nikon D700 Obsolete?

You have to do your own numbers and determnine your ROI.... when you can make enough to cover back the camera... aka breakeven point... and realistically how much is your profit margin etc... then you will know if it is worth it with one equipment or the next.

Do not forget that covering weddings is hard work. and you also need to know how to price yourself right...

Sometimes it really beats me how people can use dual professional bodies (D3s etc..) with all the best expensive lenses... and yet charge $800 for 10 hours full day AD coverage. well... whatever works for them...

So you need to understand what works for you...

Blog Entries

D700 obsolete? Hardly the case. It is still available in MY if you looked hard enough and at a good price. In fact, it was recently reissued to the stores in the states. I don't know exactly why Sg do not stock D700... Probably not to cannibalise on sales of D800... If u do happen to find a piece, I'll bet that the price is still the same since before D800 was released...
    Especially now, if you look in the right places, and if they have stocks, you can almost buy two D700s for the price of a D3s and still have money left over to get a lens or two...

Stocks for D700 will come back up... right after Nikon stabilizes D800/E and D4 production. Just as kriegs was saying, as we speak, stores just received some stocks of D700 and D7000 recently. But most of the D700s are already snapped up very quickly. So you have to be quick and you have to keep asking around. And once you locate one, you cannot hesitate.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 21st May 2012 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123

Especially now, if you look in the right places, and if they have stocks, you can almost buy two D700s for the price of a D3s and still have money left over to get a lens or two...

Stocks for D700 will come back up... right after Nikon stabilizes D800/E and D4 production. Just as kriegs was saying, as we speak, stores just received some stocks of D700 and D7000 recently. But most of the D700s are already snapped up very quickly. So you have to be quick and you have to keep asking around. And once you locate one, you cannot hesitate.
    Where in MY are all these competitive price at?? I came across one thread talking abt what johan shop.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by akagi07 View Post
    Where in MY are all these competitive price at?? I came across one thread talking abt what johan shop.
    Hint... take a look in Consumer's Corner.

I am looking at G1x as backup .. But cant use my flash on this canon camera .. Sigh
    D700 - 24-70mm F2.8 ED - 105mm VR2 Micro - Samyang 14mm - 50mm 1.8D - Mb 10 - SB900 - SB400

Quote Originally Posted by small pig View Post
    I am looking at G1x as backup .. But cant use my flash on this canon camera .. Sigh
    I seen Canon users use Nikon flashes. Not sure Nikon can use Canon flashes.

Quote Originally Posted by wmayeo

I seen Canon users use Nikon flashes. Not sure Nikon can use Canon flashes.
    Canon user can be used Nikon lenses, but Nikon can use their lens

Quote Originally Posted by rain5533 View Post
    english pls.

Quote Originally Posted by rain5533 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by eleveninth View Post
    english pls.
    I assume he means that canon users can use nikkors with adapters but nikon users can't use canon lenses (because of the flange distance issues).
    Dxxxx | 35/1.8 | 50/1.8 | Tokina 28-70 | Panny G1 | 14-45 | 25/1.7
    My Flickr

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast