View Poll Results: Would a ratings system improve the transactional experience in CS Buy/Sell?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • no, it will not improve

20 41.67%
  • yes, it will improve

25 52.08%
  • i do not know

3 6.25%

Thread: Poll: would a ratings system improve the transactional experience in CS Buy/Sell?

Lightbulb Poll: would a ratings system improve the transactional experience in CS Buy/Sell?

do you think that a ratings system for buyers and sellers improve the transactional experience in CS Buy/Sell?

Lightbulb

sorry, duplicate poll deleted.

no it doesn't work. hardwarezone tried something similar and fell flat. the reason is because it is open to sabotage and abuse. imagine what someone malicious can do if he doesn't like you.

Quote Originally Posted by chaotic
    no it doesn't work. hardwarezone tried something similar and fell flat. the reason is because it is open to sabotage and abuse. imagine what someone malicious can do if he doesn't like you.
    agree ... bad behaviours from buyers/sellers are something we have to be mentally prepared for, since this is an open and public online forum we cannot possibly expect everyone to behave in certain ways. just participate with an open mind

Users can just register a new nick to buy/sell which makes existing rating quite useless isn't it

Lightbulb

the key word here to note is 'improve'. the intent is certainly not to solve all existing issues.

I posted earlier on the duplicate thread that got deleted.

1) complacency, nothing to stop someone to build a reputation and then scam the final round and flee.

2) sabotage, nothing to stop anyone from either creating multiple personalities or to put a bad rating that cannot be neutrally arbritated. also means the mods have to do extra work for free.

3) reverse sabotage, someone with good rating can use that rating to dispute someone elses account of events. afterall, who you believe? the noob or the guy with 5000 rating..

buying and selling always comes down to caveat emptor, you test carefully, do your market research then only meet. even the rules for meeting must be carefully planned so that even if someone fly kite, you don't lose out (thus buyer should always try to meet seller otherwise before seller even sell item, already lose money, if more than one party play him out then he may as well throw item away.)

nonetheless, would it be an improvement that is worth the hassle/cost to implement? maybe clubsnap can turn it into a fee based solution..
    Last edited by loupgarou; 3rd January 2005 at 06:27 PM.

The idea is great but I doubt the result is going to be as good. Nick change is one major weak part.

Quote Originally Posted by chaotic
    Agreed with you. I have seen another forum with similar thing (not buy/sell but for member's reputation). In the end, the entire rating system went dead and it got deleted within 3 days of implementation.

Only increases workload for moderators and is still open to abuse.

Lightbulb

upz, so far, the votes are quite even.

so far ppl whom really know/see me b4 will know i am a good buyer (cos i dun sell... except for a tripod to T16...)

but no one can stop ppl from registering a nick just to 'blacken' your reputation... maybe with a minimum of 50 post, then the user is able to participate in the buy/sell, cos if the person's 50 post is all crap, that shows how much he is worth... and if the person is truely a 'honorable' seller, i guess his 50 post would somewhat be a guideline of his character. and we can then rate the user effectively. (raters need to have 50 post as well, to prevent ppl from registering and then use the account to rate his other nicks)
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    so far ppl whom really know/see me b4 will know i am a good buyer (cos i dun sell... except for a tripod to T16...)
    OT a bit.
    Del_CtrlnoAlt is a very nice guy, I can vouch for it and I believe those who meet him recently also agree with me.

Regarding the rating system, there are few drawbacks, mainly
    1) Mutliple nicks
    2) Internet warriors
    3) Sabotage
    War is one of the most regrettable human activities.

prehaps we could all do it the manual ways... hehehe

i tink i oso qite nice...

upz for the last day to poll. closes at 4pm on 5 Jan, Wed

Quote Originally Posted by loupgarou
    buying and selling always comes down to caveat emptor, you test carefully, do your market research then only meet. even the rules for meeting must be carefully planned so that even if someone fly kite, you don't lose out (thus buyer should always try to meet seller otherwise before seller even sell item, already lose money, if more than one party play him out then he may as well throw item away.)
    I think you're still sore over the omni-bounce sales... I feel there's no need that the "buyer should always try to meet seller" If you're selling here as a form of living then you should probably know that the buyer also has the right to choose the location of dealing.

I think by word of mouth is the best way to tell whether a buyer/seller is trustworthy. Ratings are just mere numbers. So if I were to organise a MO for 100 pieces of item. I'll get a rating of 100? If you're good, ppl will automatically add in good comments for you.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    I think you're still sore over the omni-bounce sales... I feel there's no need that the "buyer should always try to meet seller" If you're selling here as a form of living then you should probably know that the buyer also has the right to choose the location of dealing.

I think by word of mouth is the best way to tell whether a buyer/seller is trustworthy. Ratings are just mere numbers. So if I were to organise a MO for 100 pieces of item. I'll get a rating of 100? If you're good, ppl will automatically add in good comments for you.
    in my mind, the poll's scope primarily includes sellers and buyers who are selling or buying 'personal' equipment or those doing so in such a manner as not conducting it on a scale inconsistent with the primary scope. therefore, it is not intended to include those who are doing it on a scale or frequency which may be concluded as businesslike or those conducting MOs.
    Last edited by reachme2003; 5th January 2005 at 02:24 PM.

Lightbulb

upz again.