Thread: Battery lifespan under cold climate: below 10 degrees

Default Battery lifespan under cold climate: below 10 degrees

Hi guys,

It seems that battery lifespan decreases under cold climate (below 10 degrees)? I tried to take photos in Korea last week (temp between -10 to 10 degrees) & seems that my battery kept running out real fast.

Is it normal? Any way to prolong the battery life? It seems that I had to use 4 battery packs to shoot 50 photos a day(approx). I'm using Canon IXUS V3.

Any ideas?

Thanks & Happy New Year!

Thats normal, although using 4 batteries for 50 shots sounds bad..
    In any case, the batteries in your bag should be kept warm to maximise their charge (I keep them in a separate sealed pouch) and your camera should not be left in the open cold too long...

Quote Originally Posted by tamade
    Hi guys,

It seems that battery lifespan decreases under cold climate (below 10 degrees)? I tried to take photos in Korea last week (temp between -10 to 10 degrees) & seems that my battery kept running out real fast.

Is it normal? Any way to prolong the battery life? It seems that I had to use 4 battery packs to shoot 50 photos a day(approx). I'm using Canon IXUS V3.

Any ideas?

Thanks & Happy New Year!

I kept my batteries in my jeans, perhaps that explained why the batteries lifespan got shortened. Couldn't keep my camera warm for long too.

At least I'm better prepared next time

Thanks for the reply