Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A User's Experience - The OLYMPUS OM-D

Default Re: A User's Experience - The OLYMPUS OM-D

Amazing review. I just got my OM-D E-M5 with 12-50 kit lens today. I love this camera and lens, and the combination of the camera and my Lumix 20mm f1.7 is awesomeeeee. I'm yet to see the banding issue, but I just got the camera today, and I haven't tried many high ISO shots yet.

Anyway, I tried pixel peeping, and jpeg files appear oversharpened, especially in the soft areas. That makes the picture appear to have luminance noise, even at ISO 200. The grains are rough. The grains produced by my GF1 are finer. But then again, I shoot raw with the GF1, while at the moment, I can only shoot jpeg with the OM-D (yet to download the Lightroom 4.1). Is this normal, or is my camera defective?
    Last edited by TheStig; 27th June 2012 at 03:09 AM.

Sites like DPReview have noted that the OM-D JPEGs are over-sharpened by default (even at '0' setting), so have suggested lowering SHARPNESS by -1. I've noticed the same issue when using lenses such as the Panny 20mm/25mm. and Oly 45mm.

Quote Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
    Amazing review. I just got my OM-D E-M5 with 12-50 kit lens today. I love this camera and lens, and the combination of the camera and my Lumix 20mm f1.7 is awesomeeeee. I'm yet to see the banding issue, but I just got the camera today, and I haven't tried many high ISO shots yet.

Anyway, I tried pixel peeping, and jpeg files appear oversharpened, especially in the soft areas. That makes the picture appear to have luminance noise, even at ISO 200. The grains are rough. The grains produced by my GF1 are finer. But then again, I shoot raw with the GF1, while at the moment, I can only shoot jpeg with the OM-D (yet to download the Lightroom 4.1). Is this normal, or is my camera defective?

Blog Entries

a firmware update seems to be in order

in Shanghai no with the OM-D and will share hopefully some images by next week
    Last edited by ed9119; 29th June 2012 at 12:44 AM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Great review! Wish I had the money to get this!

Got my EM5 last week. Like it very much, only the grip let it down. Saving money to buy 12mm f/2 and 25mm f/1.4.

Blog Entries

just returned from a 1 week trip to Malaysia during Crossing Bridges 9 ..... i must say this little devil with its kit lens held its ground very well especially at the wide end at 24mm equivalent

shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Thank you for the hands on review.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123