Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shot leeching

Originally posted by zapp!
    It seems that the forum topics that contained the pics at his site has been removed since just now...good.
    How about that? A wholesale removal of the entire thread/topic on photography...

I guess that renders the points in my previous post erm, pointless? Oh well....
    Last edited by Wolfgang; 30th July 2002 at 06:51 PM.
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

Just checked, the photo sections seems to be removed. Probably to destroy evidence
    Pentaxian for life ! My Webby
    K-X, DA70mm F2.4. DA 35mm F2.4, DA 18-135 WR

the forum is Powered by phpBB 2.0 RC-3 2001 phpBB Group.

according to phpBB Group's FAQs

Who do I contact about abusive and/or legal matters related to this board?
    You should contact the administrator of this board. If you cannot find who this you should first contact one of the forum moderators and ask them who you should in turn contact. If still get no response you should contact the owner of the domain (do a whois lookup) or, if this is running on a free service (e.g. yahoo, free.fr, f2s.com, etc.), the management or abuse department of that service. Please note that phpBB Group has absolutely no control and cannot in any way be held liable over how, where or by whom this board is used. It is absolutely pointless contacting phpBB Group in relation to any legal (cease and desist, liable, defamatory comment, etc.) matter not directly related to the phpbb.com website or the discrete software of phpBB itself. If you do email phpBB Group about any third party use of this software then you should expect a terse response or no response at all.

Guess this might be the next hot topic for the day. But whatever the case, i think we should start getting into the habit of putting in the copyright words in our images (although it spoils the photo sometimes) as disclaimers in the threads/online albums do not seem to be working.

The soccer subforum also contains megaweb and eadwine's world cup series at the padang.

See the following thread.

http://forums.ebyte.org/viewtopic.php?t=1603

Tomshen: http://forums.ebyte.org/viewtopic.php?t=1508.

sbs99: http://forums.ebyte.org/viewtopic.php?t=1528

eadwine: http://forums.ebyte.org/viewtopic.php?t=1502
    Last edited by Goondu; 30th July 2002 at 06:59 PM.

Blog Entries

Originally posted by Goondu
    The soccer subforum also contains megaweb and eadwine's world cup series at the padang.

See the following thread.

http://forums.ebyte.org/viewtopic.php?t=1603

Tomshen: http://forums.ebyte.org/viewtopic.php?t=1508.

sbs99: http://forums.ebyte.org/viewtopic.php?t=1528

eadwine: http://forums.ebyte.org/viewtopic.php?t=1502
    thanks for the info - ANGRY RED TEXT posted in those threads

ebyte is already notorious for stealing web cam shots from personal sites.

and now this hehe, good that u guys are doing something about this. it'll be interesting to see how this issue is resolved.
    that site is disgraceful.

i finally understand why doc is so 'protective' over his pictures.
    Last edited by wildhoney; 30th July 2002 at 07:19 PM.

Originally posted by Wolfgang
    Yes, his maintains an account in clubsnap...
    which means the clubsnap admin will have his IP address....now we need court order to make his ISP to give us his particulars (assume he is in Singapore)

btw, should we or should we not discuss our plan in open?

Yep, i think copyrighting your image is important. You never know where your image will be taken to and the thought of people exploiting your images & even making money out of your work without your knowledge is infuriating. Apart from this, you guys can also help yourself by making sure that the file size of your image is not too big at 75dpi at most for viewing on the monitor.

Lets stampout piracy of photography!

Originally posted by excentrique
    Yep, i think copyrighting your image is important. You never know where your image will be taken to and the thought of people exploiting your images & even making money out of your work without your knowledge is infuriating. Apart from this, you guys can also help yourself by making sure that the file size of your image is not too big at 75dpi at most for viewing on the monitor.

Lets stampout piracy of photography!
    Anyone has any quick action to just add in the copyright logo in pics?

Blog Entries

Originally posted by zapp!
    quite simple to do in Photoshop - just create a text layer with the copyright thing.

Simple to do, provided you have Photoshop, of course

[QUOTE]Originally posted by zapp!

[/QUOTE

I think you have to reopen your file and add the copyright 1 pic at a time.

One of the 2 people i have sent the email out to has replied and this is what he says... Reproduced in verbatim....

Hey dude

good to hear from you. IP is a very complex subject.

yes you are right he is infringing your IP rights whether or not there is any commercial gain if he has reproduced your work without your permission. you have the right to dictate the terms to which he is allowed to reproduce or display your work (eg copyright notice crediting you (see below), link to your website/email, small royalty fee as part of a license agreement etc). you cannot presume that it is public domain or that you have / would have consented just because it is on a forum (unless the forum's terms and conditions state otherwise, if the forum is owned by someone other than you - but this is very unlikely)

There is no foolproof method of protecting all your rights, especially in the digital age, but some practical measures can be done:

1. watermark all your pictures, or put a copyright (c) notice on each one, eg at the bottom of the photo: "(c) 2002 Benson Goh". however, this might be ugly. watermarking helps establish proof in the event of any lawsuit.

2. If you can - (ie if the forum gives you some abilty to) - on your forum's website, put up a 'terms and conditions of use' page, which every user MUST agree to before he gets access. the only sure fire way this can be done is to make all users register before visiting the site. as part of the completion of registration, they must enter into an agreement (a click wrap agreement, such that they have to click "yes" in order to effect the registration) with the web site owner. in this agreement, you have an IP clause stating the rights each user is granted with regards to the photos and/or contents (which include text, HTML code etc) (can save a copy and print a copy for their personal use only, no distribution, no reposting, no commercial use, no other reproduction permitted etc).

if registering users is not practical, have a link to the terms and conditions page at the bottom of every page. this should be prominent. on the main page of the website, have the link displayed very prominently saying by continuing to use and visit this website, you are deemed to have read, understood and complied with the terms and conditions <link> of the website. you can also have a privacy policy up (recommended).

if it's all out of your hands, don't post any pics - have a separate website you and your close friends have and upload all your photos there. link to that external website on the forum. then have all your terms and conditions on that website.

3. But for now, all you can do is send a simple cease and desist letter to him via post and/or email (preferably post). Introduce yourself, identify your work, state that you are the owner of the copyright in that work and it has come to your attention that he has posted it on (such and such) website without your permission. attach a printout of the website with your photo on it. politely but firmly, you should request that he remove this photo within 7 days. if he requires future use of it, he could contact you for permission on to work out a licensing arrangement for a small fee (or credit or whatever).

If no compliance within 7 days, send another warning letter referring to the previous letter except this time firmer and stating that you would take any necessary legal measures without further notice to him if he fails to remove the photo within another 7 days.

4. if you are paranoid about anyone using your photos, the use javascript code to disable saving the photo (or right clicking). it can be quite easily circumvented of course, but it's at least some effort.

hope some of this helps. practically, enforcing it is VERY difficult and would probably cost more than it's worth.

some very basic websites on IP in Singapore:

http://www.ipos.gov.sg/

hope this helps. feel free to gimme a call if you need to discuss this further - 9XXXXXXX take it easy mate!
    --

Hi,

This "sonicbyte" finally replied my mail:

Hi,
    The pictures are taken down. I apologize that credits aren't given clearer to the photographers. Some of the pictures have the photographers names on the topic. Well but it might be too small to be notice. My point is that the photos are share to the people out there to view, but i guess credits is a important issue in terms of respect. Thank you for your comments and feedback.
    As there are obviously a few more threads, let's compile a list and send it to him for removal.

Regards
    CK

Keep it going guys...I'm sure he's watching the going-ons of this thread!

Hey, the more I do it, the more angry I am!

I have to look at each and every individual post that this sonobytch posted. What it means is that his site will have at least 3000+ hits added!!!!

Update:

Streetshooter: http://forums.ebyte.org/viewtopic.php?t=2007

Spycyfish: http://forums.ebyte.org/viewtopic.php?t=1503
    Last edited by Goondu; 30th July 2002 at 08:39 PM.

Originally posted by Goondu
    Hey, the more I do it, the more angry I am!

I have to look at each and every individual post that this sonobytch posted. What it means is that his site will have at least 3000+ hits added!!!!

Update:

Streetshooter: http://forums.ebyte.org/viewtopic.php?t=2007
    Goondu, i sugges you don't do it anymore. Thank you fo much for your relentless effort.

The onus is now on him after we have implicitly and explicitly warned him about what has transpired, which is to repost shots of the members of Clubsnap. Why assist him in tracking down all the shots?

Let him go through the trouble of finding the shots and deleting it.

Meanwhile, if we do see anymore posted or any old pictures that remain, then we will get together to figure out a way to escalate this whole issue.
    --

Meanwhile, we can still discuss what we would like to do with people like these.
    --

Guys you have all did a great job!! My pictures are removed but I still see pictures from Clubsnap.

If nothing still happens after some grace period, we should do some legal actions.

Screw that guy! haha.

I would suggest that we keep our cool as he has written in to ckiang in a composed manner...at least be civil and maybe cut out the 'damns' and sonofa....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast