Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Singapore Team in Tiger Cup'04

I didn't watch the match, but if what others have mentioned about the spirit and determination shown by the lions is true, KUDOS to the LIONS!

I dun really care how they win or lose... as long they show the grit and pride as expected when they are in national colours. Their performance in recent years had been way below par, shocking and dissappointing. Its really refreshing to hear something positive about the lions. Missed those malaysia cup days ...

C'mon, the lions!

true true!

remember that time i was still in my JC days....will always go down to support when they play in Kallang with my skool mates.... curse and swear and shouted till no voice!!! haha.......

Quote Originally Posted by wormz777
    Missed those malaysia cup days ...

C'mon, the lions!

Best shot of the night?

THE WATER BOTTLE SHOT!!

A long range shot that was curling between two players and right on target!!
    I would doubt if many people can repeat that feat from like 10 meters away.

was watching the whole game on tv last nite, and... frankly, i kept shaking my head and felt abit disgusted and frustrated by the incompetence of the lion's attack. Well, at least the singapore born players did really well..

Am really glad singapore won.. But my heart goes out to the myanmar players and their fans... they certainly deserve the win more. Oh... and to correct Bernard lim the commentator last night, Singapore is definately not unbeaten going into the finals.... they LOST last night at 2-1.. against a 8 men team...

Quote Originally Posted by eel
    I don't think we could have won because we kept pumping high balls on a wet surface when we were trying to catch up. Tactically, this is just so naive.
    Actually in a muddy and wet surface it is better to pump in the highballs, you can't pass around or dribble on the ground. Believe me, first-hand experience. The ball simply sticks and stops where you least expect it (as shown on tv when Itimi tried to dribble pass the myanmar players). Furthermore England pumps the highballs too even on first-rate turf so give Singapore a little credit.

Yes i do agree that the game was a farce but boy was it exciting! Lets hope the final would be this exciting with a little less farce. Let us pray.

Quote Originally Posted by GDSNP
    Fyi, Myanmar really got 3 players sent off. They were playing with only 8 men on the pitch.

C'mon.. give some credits to the Lions. Although their performance tonite wasn't all that fantastic, I would say that it was a good performance considering the condition of the pitch..

As for those who simply only support EPL and write off local soccer, I suggest that u go and watch the Lions play. I was there and I could see that they are playing their hearts out, chasing every ball.. Its the commitment that matters, isn't it? For those who only support winning the side, I have this to say. We don't need fair weather fans here.
    sloppy play maybe due to weather and field. commitment? ok maybe for the last few games. if only they can show the same level of commitment or higher for all games. fans have been let down once to often by their performances. it remains to be seen how long the current young team can keep this up.

Quote Originally Posted by Amekaze
    I hope we'll meet Malaysia in the finals too. Then it's gonna be like another derby match.
    hope this time can win hor...not lose 0-4.

Quote Originally Posted by Amekaze
    To quote what Raddy said...

Some Singaporean fans are spoilt. They compare the soccer here with that of the European leagues but they don't know how long those European leagues took to establish themselves.

I'd be happy if Singapore can reach J-League standards. No need to compare all the way to Europe. I'll be really surprised if club players here draw salaries like 10,000 pounds per week.
    tell raddy win the cup then talk. i dun even dare to compare with european leagues. i'm not even sure can compare with the likes of middle east. most of the time still struggling against thailand. years ago we could beat teams like brunei. now we will probably struggle to beat them.

take the penalty incident for example. winning a penalty is not the same as converting it. but look at the players celebrating when the penalty was awarded..one would think that they had already won the game. so tell rady and the players dun count their chickens before they are hatched. win the game first then look forward to the next.

Quote Originally Posted by madmacs
    sloppy play maybe due to weather and field. commitment? ok maybe for the last few games. if only they can show the same level of commitment or higher for all games. fans have been let down once to often by their performances. it remains to be seen how long the current young team can keep this up.
    Scepticism.. seems to plague the Lions fans..
    But I'm not affected. Hope others are not affected too.
    Last edited by GDSNP; 3rd January 2005 at 12:58 PM.
    When I do right, no one remembers. When I do wrong, no one ever forgets.

hope this time can win hor...not lose 0-4.
    If this is the kind of commitment shown by the 'fans', I wonder how they still have the cheek to ask for commitment from the team???

If this is the kind of commitment shown by the 'fans', I wonder how they still have the cheek to ask for commitment from the team???
    commitment is a 2-way thing. if the team cannot show commitment and i dont mean just for this tournament then dont expect commitment from fans. i still recall a minister asking for fan support in the past and thousands turned up to heed that call. what happens? they perform miserably and the captain had the cheek to apologize and say they were not used to playing in front of so many fans. time for them to show they are fully committed to the cause first. maybe this years tiger cup is the start. i certainly hope so.

pitch was bad... but i don't think u can expect much with the kind of weather we're having the past few days.

the Lions deserves some credit. This crop of players has the fighting spirit. And I think disciplinary wise they are very good. They kept cool despite the bad treatment they were receiving from the Myanmar team. That was the difference between the 2 teams.

Don't look down on the other SEA countries. It smells smack of elitism. You'd expect your country to improve -that is a given assumption but the other countries would improve theirs too. Its just a matter of who is more passionate, more hungrier, more willing to spend and so on and so forth. Take a look at this way. At least this time there was no farce like the 1998 quarter-final.

commitment is a 2-way thing. if the team cannot show commitment and i dont mean just for this tournament then dont expect commitment from fans. i still recall a minister asking for fan support in the past and thousands turned up to heed that call. what happens? they perform miserably and the captain had the cheek to apologize and say they were not used to playing in front of so many fans. time for them to show they are fully committed to the cause first. maybe this years tiger cup is the start. i certainly hope so.
    Just look at England..

So many jokes, so many sneers
    But all those oh-so-nears
    Wear u down
    Thru the years
    But I still see that tackle by Kadir
    And when Fandi scores
    Nazri belting the ball
    And Sundram dancing...

Quote Originally Posted by ibitemynails
    ......i think the one waiting for time to end most badly must be referee.....
    haha, agree...

i wouldn't be surprised if he peed in his pants. what a nightmare of a game to referee.

and you know how quickly a ref is blamed for each decision. he has to think hard for each ruling he makes. just in case he gets a complimentary drink of water too!

Quote Originally Posted by obviousdude
    haha, agree...

i wouldn't be surprised if he peed in his pants. what a nightmare of a game to referee.
    Yah boy. I bet he must be cursing like crazy under his breath when Noh Alam Shah struck his penalty against the upright. Another 30 mins more of the nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by Garion
    Yah boy. I bet he must be cursing like crazy under his breath when Noh Alam Shah struck his penalty against the upright. Another 30 mins more of the nightmare.
    in his mind: "if only referees can be substituted..."

Quote Originally Posted by obviousdude
    in his mind: "if only referees can be substituted..."
    man of the match - the referee!!

i have never heard of people kicking MUD at the referee!!!
    goodness...
    i don't know if i am amazed that the players actually kicked stuff at referee or that it is MUD that they are kicking (because the pitch is SO BAD)

Quote Originally Posted by Garion
    I think u mean Indra huh??

Also, the Cisco guard who was punched by the Myanmar supporter. By the way, I saw the SOC coming in after the match and 2 ambulances too..

I think u mean Indra huh??

Also, the Cisco guard who was punched by the Myanmar supporter. By the way, I saw the SOC coming in after the match and 2 ambulances too..
    wow...

that's full scale drama all right..

and tell me, just where were all you clubsnappers on that night? think of the money shots you'd have gotten!

don't you feel like kicking (mud on) yourself now?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast