Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12347 ... LastLast

Thread: Singapore Team in Tiger Cup'04

Quote Originally Posted by ibitemynails
    you mean 3 red cards, we win the match?
    how come?
    We won.
    Try playing with 8 men left on the field with 11 men.
    Its like short of 1 defender 1 midfielder and 1 striker.
    How to play? Play winning eleven also will lose.

but i think most hilarious part was the 4th man sent off - reserve goalie..

i always tot you can only get sent off if you are ON the pitch.

apparently, even without playing, you can get sent off too!

i seriously have never seen a match which turned out to be a free for all.

i think the one waiting for time to end most badly must be referee.

the guy who was diving was hilarious too!!!

can can...even the manager could be sent off...hiak hiak

but i think most hilarious part was the 4th man sent off - reserve goalie..

i always tot you can only get sent off if you are ON the pitch.

apparently, even without playing, you can get sent off too!

i seriously have never seen a match which turned out to be a free for all.

i think the one waiting for time to end most badly must be referee.

the guy who was diving was hilarious too!!!

Quote Originally Posted by plinius
    can can...even the manager could be sent off...hiak hiak

which was what happened at the last singapore game....a singapore official got sent off.

anyway, isnt there a rule that after 4 players (in this case including the reserve gaolie) are sent off, the match is to be abandoned and awarded to the other team?

Let's put it this way, if SG is playing against 8 men and they can't score then I really dunno what to say. The point is that they did score. Pretty soccer wasn't on the menu last night and sometimes you have to take your belssings with open arms. Last night, Myanmar decided to self destruct after taking the lead. Tactical immaturity if you ask me. You have to give credit where it's due. Previous SG teams would have wallowed in the mud after being 1 down and trailing, but not this particular team. Honestly, they have tried their best so far and should put to rest this little episode and focus on the final.

I was there in the gallery last night. You should have seen what the TV didn't show. There were fights between SG and Myanmar supporters. What I thought was that I was there to watch a game not fight. So it really took away the enjoyment somewhat. I was worried too because in my sector were lots of little kids.
    Last edited by SteadyHands; 3rd January 2005 at 08:47 AM.

huh. fight on pitch, fight off pitch, fight on stands.
    wow.
    i was watching on telly and laughing my guts off.
    though, it's really quite shameful for the pitch to be in this state.
    comparing with the epl matches on saturday, this was more humourtainment than soccertainment.

Did not watch the game but saw a bit of the action on the news. Wah lau the pitch is really horrible condition. The player cross, the ball landed *piak* on the pitch and stay there. So can't blame the sg players lar. But from what I heard really drama match sia.

Now on to the finals...hope we meet Malaysia...woah...

Quote Originally Posted by reactan
    which was what happened at the last singapore game....a singapore official got sent off.

anyway, isnt there a rule that after 4 players (in this case including the reserve gaolie) are sent off, the match is to be abandoned and awarded to the other team?
    The rule is there must be at least 7 players playing on the field. Else match abandoned and the opposing team awarded a 2-0 win.

Kudos to both teams' fighting spirit during the match.
    But the end was disgraceful. Honestly, soccer in this region should be given time to grow and mature. Culture and professionalism doesn't come overnight. Agree with GDSNP. The commitment of the team is great. Perfomances in the Tiger Cup and World Cup Qualifiers (especially against Japan) has been great. They have improved much under Raddy.

I hope we'll meet Malaysia in the finals too. Then it's gonna be like another derby match.

I was at the stadium last night. And having watched part of the repeat telecast on Channel 5 (from just before Singapore's first goal), I can vouch for the fact that the tv didn't show a lot of what happened in the stands. All that was quite deplorable, as was the Myanmar players' reaction to various situations.

I think we should stop trying to knock Singapore down. They have tried their best and got to the final.

Yes, they play've been playing the long ball game. So? It's been effective for them and they are in the final. They've been playing with a tenacity I've not seen in a long time. The spirit Subramani has mentioned in the papers is not a figment of the players' imagination. Anyone at the stadium last night could see that this spirit of determination and belief flows through the current team.

The fist leg of the final will be on 8 Jan, either in Malaysia or Indonesia. Hopefully in Malaysia, of course! Then the second leg on 16 Jan at the National Stadium. A chance to win the Tiger Cup on home ground! =)

The perennial doubters can stay at home and continue ridiculing Singapore. I hope those who have never watched a football game at the stadium will join those that believe in our team.

Hmmm... one last word on what was not seen on TV. We need to get behind our team when they are down, not just when they score or are threatening to score. The stadium was very silent except for the Myanmar supporters for quite a while after both goals.

There was a group of Singapore supporters who were very silent when Singapore wasn't doing well. But when the Myanmar players and crowd started getting out of control, the whole bunch of friends suddenly became creative and boisterous, coming up with cheers (or jeers, rather) against our opponents which bordered on racist. And the rest of the supporters around them applauded them!

Ok, fans taunt other fans all the time BUT there is no need to be derogatory and it's better if they channel their creative juices to cheering our own team when they need our support.

Still, it was great to see thousands at the stadium despite the intermittent rain.
    Last edited by acroamatic; 3rd January 2005 at 10:13 AM.

To quote what Raddy said...

Some Singaporean fans are spoilt. They compare the soccer here with that of the European leagues but they don't know how long those European leagues took to establish themselves.

I'd be happy if Singapore can reach J-League standards. No need to compare all the way to Europe. I'll be really surprised if club players here draw salaries like 10,000 pounds per week.

it's good to see that Singapore fans are passionate and the team is doing well taunting happens all across the world. that's why we often hear of "intimidating" home fans, stadiums, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Amekaze
    To quote what Raddy said...

Some Singaporean fans are spoilt. They compare the soccer here with that of the European leagues but they don't know how long those European leagues took to establish themselves.

I'd be happy if Singapore can reach J-League standards. No need to compare all the way to Europe. I'll be really surprised if club players here draw salaries like 10,000 pounds per week.
    who is raddy?

the coach.

Quote Originally Posted by mpenza
    it's good to see that Singapore fans are passionate and the team is doing well taunting happens all across the world. that's why we often hear of "intimidating" home fans, stadiums, etc.
    yes, i mentioned i'm aware of that. but we should cheer our team too, that was my point. it seemed like we only knew how to get loud and get creative with our chants/cheers when it involved jeering the other team. how intimidating is it when the away team scores and there is pin-drop silence from the home fans the next 15 minutes or so?

I have to say, the water bottle incident was totally disappointing .... Didn't really expect that... but it did happen... totally un-necessary

guess it takes a while for the roar to finally come back having some inspirational cheer leaders would be good too.

For those who missed the head shot video

http://img106.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img1...eadshot2mo.swf

ouch~~

you mean 3 red cards, we win the match?
    how come?
    i believe there is a rule in football regarding the minimum number of players in a team on the pitch. always thought that number was 7. the match automatically goes to the other team 3-0, or something like that.

just checked it out: http://www.fifa.com/en/laws/Laws3_06.htm
    Last edited by acroamatic; 3rd January 2005 at 10:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by romeo
    I have to say, the water bottle incident was totally disappointing .... Didn't really expect that... but it did happen... totally un-necessary
    agree with u, this water bottle incident was really ugly... and the
    myanmar player's last minute drama (elbow incident) also very funny,
    can get best actor's award liao....

Quote Originally Posted by acroamatic
    i believe there is a rule in football regarding the minimum number of players in a team on the pitch. always thought that number was 7. the match automatically goes to the other team 3-0, or something like that.

just checked it out: http://www.fifa.com/en/laws/Laws3_06.htm
    a Bit confused though, 3 players on the field were sent off... If a substitute player had to be sent off, shouldn't they have to remove 1 player on-field too because of that sending off??

Agreed, the elbow drama really deserved the "Best Actor" Award

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12347 ... LastLast