Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: enough of cte,jam end up paying higher ERP!!

Default Re: enough of cte,jam end up paying higher ERP!!

Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    Whats stopping people from buying cheap and immediately selling off for turnover ?
    I think this secondary school kid's idea is feasible.
    We don't have to stop people from profiteering from this scheme. We have to make them realise that this will be their one and only 'cheap' car in their lifetime. Yes, they can profit from it (instead of the profits going into the gahmen's coffers), but their next car(s) wil never be at such good price anymore.

This may achieve a few things:
    1) potential first-time buyer will consider hard before diving into their first purchase. Perhaps this may space out demand.
    2) potential first-time buyer will consider hard before profiteering.
    3) transfer the wealth from the rich to the poorer. i.e., the wealthier may go into the secondary market to buy out the right to first time car-ownership

Quote Originally Posted by Hanalore

We don't have to stop people from profiteering from this scheme. We have to make them realise that this will be their one and only 'cheap' car in their lifetime. Yes, they can profit from it (instead of the profits going into the gahmen's coffers), but their next car(s) wil never be at such good price anymore.

1) potential first-time buyer will consider hard before diving into their first purchase. Perhaps this may space out demand.
    3) transfer the wealth from the rich to the poorer. i.e., the wealthier may go into the secondary market to buy out the right to first time car-ownership
    I feel like I finally said something productive after 15 years lol

Quote Originally Posted by Hanalore View Post

Quote Originally Posted by SecretElement View Post
    I feel like I finally said something productive after 15 years lol
    Definitely looks easy to make folks happy to have everyone own his or her car on the cheap. But you will exacerbate the crux of the problem.

Without heavy discentives, roads will congest starting from the time you start your carpark all the way to entrance of expressways during peak hrs. Not nice, more complaints again

Sometimes amazingly half the time i spent driving to work is spent on trying to get onto the CTE from the neighbourhood. ( which is like less than 5% of the distance )
    Last edited by giantcanopy; 11th May 2012 at 11:31 AM.

But by limiting a car to a family your pretty much decreasing the amount of cars arlund

I came across this article which I somehow thinks it's true tho.

You are not stuck in traffic.
    You are traffic
    Get a bike. Break Free!

You Are The Problem - DesignTAXI.com

Quote Originally Posted by dreaming View Post
    simple. build 2nd tier expressway along / centre of the expressway. still jam, then 3rd layer
    they have tried it... the problem is not with the road plus viaduct itself but with the congestion of the on- and off-ramps and the capacity of the roads those ramps are connected to, which would be extremely packed because ultimately, people are still going to enter or exit the expressway at the same locations... almost every weekday, I look down on this problem from my room, which overlooks the Keppel Road/Keppel-Ayer Rajar viaduct system: this system has five lanes going in each direction on the surface level, and three lanes going in each direction on the raised level, but is still clogged, direction of congestion depending on time of day, due to the on-/off-ramp issue...

Quote Originally Posted by ahboy168 View Post
    ERP gantry will be history soon once they
    Implement "invisible" gantry, effectively convert all roads into a big car park. U are charge for the time you spend within an area. Different area with different rate.
    So, we all become taxi driver in a way, except we drive the car ourselves.

Sound scary ? It is coming soon...
    privacy issues aside, this could actually be a "fairer" way of charging for vehicle use...

Quote Originally Posted by Hanalore View Post

in a logical world, this may be the case, but there might be certain difficulties in reality...

as has been seen in the HDB resale situation, there are people who do not closely consider all the financial outcomes of their choices, like people who think to cash in their existing flat for a "good price" but had not considered that they would also have to pay someone else a "good price" for a replacement, resulting in many of those cases of people who have no homes, end up camping in parks on a semi-permanent basis, and then blaming the Gov for not providing affordable housing for them...

then there is the possibility of people rushing to take advantage of this proposed "first car" policy on the expectation of turning over the car or at least the entitlement for this car, end up with significant loans to buy the car, but if some financial situation were to cause changes in the market structure (eg. the sudden surge in supply from people turning over their "first car" policy cars over demand of people who actually want to own cars; a sudden, significant tightening of credit, as some have pushed for to control inflation; fluctuation in car prices and/or interest rates due to influx of buyers/sellers; etc.) for the resale of such "first cars", people could be saddled with an unwanted car with a loan the person/s might not be able to sustain, like a car-version of a subprime crisis...

then everyone will start complaining about the Gov again, how they did not regulate or foresee the problems, only care about the well-to-do who might actually end up with cheaper cars if there is a destabilization of car prices due to a surge in car supply from the "first car" policy... as Kei said,

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    fair or not, the loser will always make noise about it and claim it's unfair
    ultimately we ourselves have to take care of our own needs vs our own wants...

Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    Yes... much like Greek government right... give and give until bankruptcy. Then people Vote in a new government, thinking that they no longer have to service their debt. If Democracy meant taking as much as we want without a care... S'porean really deserved to live in the state we are in...
    exactly

but this post is not to discourage discussion about possible solutions, especially from our younger members... it is only with open discussions that we can look for better solutions and outcomes
    Last edited by theRBK; 11th May 2012 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretElement View Post
    But by limiting a car to a family your pretty much decreasing the amount of cars arlund
    I do not think that at the moment each family household owns one private car.

A quick check and it seems if every SG household were to own a car, we are seeing a doubling or even more of existing private cars on the roads. ( not even accounting for foreign ownership )

Car ownership is not a 'Right' in Singapore (or most other place)... a roof over your head is more important and therefore, need more government attention.

The idea to treat owning a Car like 1st timer trying to get HDB Flat... is sadly, plain wrong. Its basic human right to have access to a safe environment, basic education, basic health care, affordable housing and freedom of movement.... but no where do I know where, its the Government's problem if you can't afford a Car... and must somehow... 'help' you to own one.

Scuba & Father... For Life

Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc

Yes... much like Greek government right... give and give until bankruptcy. Then people Vote in a new government, thinking that they no longer have to service their debt. If Democracy meant taking as much as we want without a care... S'porean really deserved to live in the state we are in...
    Words of Wisdom indeed. Most singaporeans have no clue about economics and politics, but blindly follow what prominent figures say and do. It goes for both sides of the fence

some people just cannot shut up......
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

and some people don't like the voice of reason

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234