Thread: Clothing to pack for Melbourne, Philip island in July (winter) photography trip

Default Clothing to pack for Melbourne, Philip island in July (winter) photography trip

Hi,

I would like to hear some input on what clothing to bring for a photography trip this July. Going Sydney, Melbourne, Philip Island.

Will reach Sydney and drive to Melbourne and a trip to Philip Island. From the web, it takes 2 days for the drive. On the way will stop by motels.

Some say no need winter clothing but some say can get very cold. I wish to keep warm as I afraind of cold but stiill, dont want too bulky clothing that restrict movement.

Seeking your advice.

Thanks!!
    Ah Sam Hui

Default Re: Clothing to pack for Melbourne, Philip island in July (winter) photography trip

Quote Originally Posted by ahsamhui View Post
    Hi,

I would like to hear some input on what clothing to bring for a photography trip this July. Going Sydney, Melbourne, Philip Island.

Will reach Sydney and drive to Melbourne and a trip to Philip Island. From the web, it takes 2 days for the drive. On the way will stop by motels.

Some say no need winter clothing but some say can get very cold. I wish to keep warm as I afraind of cold but stiill, dont want too bulky clothing that restrict movement.

Seeking your advice.

Thanks!!
    Ah Sam Hui
    If you are going by the coast road then you should allow at least 4 days for the trip to Melbourne from Sydney as there is Kangaroo Valley, Jervis Bay, Bermagui, Eden and countless other good photography stops on the way. If you are going to take the Hume Highway via the ACT and across the Hay then I'd suggest a stop in Canberra for a day, and another around Ballarat.

July is often very wet and windy both in Sydney and Melbourne with temperatures that can approach 1C at night and anywhere from 10C~24C during the day. Melbourne is well known as the 4 seasons in a day capital in Australia. It can be fine weather one minute and freezing cold, wet and windy the next. Philip Island is windy in winter and bollock freezing if wet.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

Default Re: Clothing to pack for Melbourne, Philip island in July (winter) photography trip

Windbreaker. Thick fleece and if you can ski pants. Jeans are very poor for cold and windy conditions.
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

invest in good socks. Keep your feet warm and dry and the rest of your body will be fine.
    *In & Out Studio Team

I just came back from Melbourne and the temperature there was like 8-16 degrees depending where you are. When the wind blows, it can be very very cold.

Do wear a good fleece jacket and double clothing inside. Jeans will do (at least for me) and of cos covered shoes with thick socks. You most probably need a glove as well.

Thanks so much for all you replies. I've ordered a base layer. Just that for 10 days 1 base layer enough?

I am not sure if possible to wash the base layer in hotel. This rae the little details can't get from google.

Quote Originally Posted by ahsamhui View Post
    Thanks so much for all you replies. I've ordered a base layer. Just that for 10 days 1 base layer enough?

I am not sure if possible to wash the base layer in hotel. This rae the little details can't get from google.
    u can wear two layers as base. tshirt + your base layer and wearing a fleece