Thread: CSers whom often post ads on B/S corner

Default CSers whom often post ads on B/S corner

Dear fellow Csers,

Recently, I received mails from scam buyers after posting ads on clubsnap; part of the reason would be because the ads are available on the web once it is posted. I'm not sure if any Csers have posted about this before but i'll do so anyway.
    So here are the emails from the scammer and well do spread the word so that our CS community is safe!

'From <babajo2004@yahoo.com>
    Hello i am Mr Henry Rock from United State Of America, how are you today and how are your families ? hope all is good ? well i am interested in buying the item for my daughter in USA, because it my daughter that need it and i hope she would like it , so kindly get to me with the total cost of the item including the shipping cost to her address below with post office, i pay through either Paypal or Bank transfer ok reply soon.

First Name :Janet
    Last Name :Rock
    Address:6-9 romank house creek
    City-Edinburg
    State-Virgina
    Zip-Code : 22824

Thanks and have a blessed
    day '

So i when on to talk about the cost and shipping and i even booked a courier from singpost -.-

Then the fellow replied.

'From <babajo2004@yahoo.com>
    Hello am happy to tell you that I have made the payment into your bank
    account,kindly check your email both inbox,spam and junk email for the
    payment confirmation from Citibank what you have to do now is that you get
    the item shipped and send the Shipment receipt and Tracking Number to
    Citibank for verification and after Citibank verify the Shipment the money
    will be fully credit into your account thanks reply asap..'

Certainly I found the email from 'CitiBank Group of Company' ( English fail right.. still want to scam people -.-)

.ONLINE PAYMENT TRANSFER OF FUNDS.

'From <customerhelpdept@usa.com>

Congratulations !Congratulations !! Congratulations !!!
    Dear Valued Customer,
    This acknowledgment sets forth certain terms upon which Mr Henry Rock is interested in acquiring some Items and he transferred the Total Amount of SGD$-150.00
    Transfer Number : 1Z3578I438995KLL
    SWIFT CODE-090.

Below-Noted Name and Bank account there in.

XXXXXXXXX

Your Payment has been Processed Successfully on your behalf and it remain the final process to Transfer your money into Your Bank Account, but before this we will need the Shipping Service Shipment Tracking Number of the item before we can activate your bank account .

Buyer's Shipping Address
    First Name :Janet
    Last Name :Rock
    Address:6-9 romank house creek
    City-Edinburg
    State-Virgina
    Zip-Code : 22824

Please do allow 24 to 72 hours to activated your bank account after verifying the shipment of the item to the buyer.
    This is how we work things out here,Concerning the payment for goods and we do hope you will understand us well and comprehend with us about our form of payment to secure both the buyer and seller interest from any type of risk and fraudulent practices that is very rampant via online transactions.
    OUR TERMS AND CONDITIONS
    We write to inform you of the readiness of this bank to make the transfer as soon as the shipment is made and verified .

We urge you to please send to us the Shipping Service scanned receipt of this shipment for a through verification.

* THE SCANNED RECEIPT*
    This scanned receipt must be digitally snapped and sent to the customer care department of the The Citi Logo Bank.

The scanned receipt serves as a reference for the Accounts Department of our Bank .

The receipt number occupies a space on the form for the transfer of the payment to the bank account sent to us by the payee to the Accounts Department.

*VERIFICATIONS*
    We verify the genuiety of the Shipment due to the high rate of fraudulent acts on our internet transactions.

It is the duty of this Bank to confirm the genuiety of the Shipment Because most of our users have been scammed in one way or the other by our negligence.

We have introduced many ways by which this scams and frauds can be reduced in our daily transactions...

*DATE OF TRANSFER*
    Normally, Items are Shipped after the conclusion of the bank with the necessary verifications and processing of the transfer,This takes about 24-48 Hours .

However, The Bank Concludes and Transfers Payments under 24 hours in a situation whereby the Transfer Processing have been concluded with.

The Citi Logo Bank.......................Designed To Serve You More Better !!!

Regards ,
    Federal Bureau of Investigation Banner

***ATTENTION***
    The order has been APPROVED, you CAN NOW ship the merchandise to the buyer's shipping address. You are expected to make the shipment with 72 hours of receiving this Transfer Payment Approval Notification and get to our Transfer department/Technical Dept. by (customerhelpdept@usa.com) with the tracking number for Shipment Verification.
    THANKS FOR USING CITI-BANK® ONLINE TRANSFER.

Managing Director
    FOR MORE INQUIRIES CONTACT (+1) 434 322 0772
    customerhelpdept@usa.com'

When i saw this email, I smelt something fishy. Whats with the font? And the broken english here and there? From USA somemore?
    Then I googled around the sure enough, they are a group (maybe?) of scammers and have been active and around for ages.
    Luckily I was a lil smarter to know that its fake ( BHB right...)..

Anyway please stay safe everybody and do not send anything off unless you receive FULL PAYMENT.
    Make this your policy

Thank you for reading

Default Re: CSers whom often post ads on B/S corner

***ATTENTION***
    The order has been APPROVED, you CAN NOW ship the merchandise to the buyer's shipping address. You are expected to make the shipment with 72 hours of receiving this Transfer Payment Approval Notification and get to our Transfer department/Technical Dept. by (customerhelpdept@usa.com) with the tracking number for Shipment Verification.
    THANKS FOR USING CITI-BANK® ONLINE TRANSFER.

Muahahahahah, these scammers really make my day, are they idiots?

Quote Originally Posted by ICPIXELS View Post
    Muahahahahah, these scammers really make my day, are they idiots?
    No.... The many people that fall for it (many SG retirees have fallen for these 419 scams and sent their life savings) and send goods or money are the real idiots...
    Alpha

don't mock these guys. it's good of TS to bring this up to warn others in the Forum. there are many oldies here too you know.

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    don't mock these guys. it's good of TS to bring this up to warn others in the Forum. there are many oldies here too you know.
    Yes I know, and I'm not mocking the TS's efforts - in fact it's great that he brings it up. But it's not the scammers that are the idiots imho. It's the people that anyhow send goods/money across the world without double-checking.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Yes I know, and I'm not mocking the TS's efforts - in fact it's great that he brings it up. But it's not the scammers that are the idiots imho. It's the people that anyhow send goods/money across the world without double-checking.
    not you... the guy above you haha

To be honest, i really almost fell for it. haha.. silly

Eh? I mocking the scammers leh.. Not mocking the people who got conned leh..

Dont get it how come mocking people who got scammed off their hard earned money is better off..

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    not you... the guy above you haha

Blog Entries

the SPIRIT of Buy/Sell subforums is meant for LOCAL face-to-face deals of personal photography items

if you want to do deals via mail, there has to be ALOT ALOT of trust ...... and you should trust NOBODY in a commercial transaction

There is also NO SUCH THING as the safety or comfort of being a fellow "CS Kaki Lang" or "CS brudder" to make you more trusting of the opposite party

Thanks for the reminder TS
    Last edited by ed9119; 8th May 2012 at 03:39 PM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Wow good thing I found this. Thank you for posting this nicole. Turns out I was almost tricked into sending my items to this exact fella a few days back!

Sent: Sunday, May 06, 2012 6:05 PM
    To: Leonard Ang
    Subject: Re: babajo2004@yahoo.com has sent you an email from 88 DB.

Hello am happy to tell you that I have made the payment into your bank
    account,kindly check your email both inbox,spam and junk email for the
    payment confirmation from Citibank what you have to do now is that you get
    the item shipped and send the Shipment receipt and Tracking Number to
    Citibank for verification and after Citibank verify the Shipment the money
    will be fully credit into your account thanks reply asap..

And to think I actually went the extra mile to package the items and seek a quotation from speedpost. I received the exact same email with the dumb "Congratulations! Congratulations!! Congratulations!!!" from CitiBank Group of Company. Did I win some lottery or something? I actually forwarded this to CitiBank Singapore and US just to test water and see what they had to say.

Sent: Tuesday, May 08, 2012 10:45 AM
    To: Leonard Ang
    Subject: Re: Enquiry

Dear Mr Ang

Thank you for your email.

Please note that the sender's email does not belong to Citibank. If you have provided your account details to sender, please contact POSB if they are able to change your account details. You may like to check with the shipping company to recall the shipment.

Thank you.

Yours Sincerely
    Jay Ng Tze Hon
    Client Correspondence Services

Is there a way to report this scammer since we've got his address and all?

Leo
    Last edited by leoang90; 8th May 2012 at 05:15 PM.

some tips from IT perspective on how to identify such fradulent emails:

- Check the email address sender (does it looks legitimate to you?)
    - Read the contents carefully and spot any spelling or grammar mistakes
    - Beware of clicking on any links in the email, if you are using a web browser to read your email, hover your mouse of the link (but DO NOT click on the link, just hover) and see the URL address that is appearing on your web browser status bar, does it looks legitimate? Usually such emails will trick you into entering your E-Banking details. I usually like to play with these fraudsters by keying in some rubbish userid and password when I have the time.

the above 3 simple due diligence steps will ensure that you are safe from these fraudsters

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    some tips from IT perspective on how to identify such fradulent emails:

- Check the email address sender (does it looks legitimate to you?)
    - Read the contents carefully and spot any spelling or grammar mistakes
    - Beware of clicking on any links in the email, if you are using a web browser to read your email, hover your mouse of the link (but DO NOT click on the link, just hover) and see the URL address that is appearing on your web browser status bar, does it looks legitimate? Usually such emails will trick you into entering your E-Banking details. I usually like to play with these fraudsters by keying in some rubbish userid and password when I have the time.

the above 3 simple due diligence steps will ensure that you are safe from these fraudsters
    And of course some common sense... Citibank is not in the shipping business, they will not be looking for shipping detail confirmations, etc, nor can they create an account in your name just like that...
    Alpha

Somehow I read the title as "Bullshit corner".
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra