Thread: GND for m43 UWA 9-18mm

Default GND for m43 UWA 9-18mm

Hi I'm planning to get a GND kit for my m43 UWA 9-18mm. TK Foto is having a promotion bundle of Hitech 100mm GND 0.3 0.6 0.9 with Lee Foundation holder. Since lens is UWA, I have to get the 77mm wide adapter ring together with step up ring 52mm to 77mm since the UWA lens thread is only 52mm.

But I feel the size and price is an over kill since lens thread is just 52mm, so I guess the Hitech 84mm should do just fine, not to mention its 1/3 cheaper than the 100mm.

However here's the question, what kind of holders for the 84mm? Seems Hitech holders are poorly constructed and Cokin P Wide holder is just too sharp at the edges. Well at least this what I gathered on the net. Seems there is this Tianya wide angle holder I can use. Another problem is can I find a 52mm wide angle adapter ring? If not is the Tianya wide angle holder going to be enought to prevent vignetting?

So if anyone has any suggestions please do share, especially those with this lens m43 9-18mm, what is your GND setup. If possible pm me the shop name where you got it from.

Thanks all.
    Last edited by anhyeuem; 8th May 2012 at 08:38 AM.

Default Re: GND for m43 UWA 9-18mm

I have used a TianYa wide angle holder with the 9-18mm before. No viginetting issue. I use a step-up ring to 77mm bcos I also have some other filters (ND110 & CPL) in 77mm thread size. I believe you can find a 52mm adapter ring in the market as well.

Quote Originally Posted by liveevil View Post
    I have used a TianYa wide angle holder with the 9-18mm before. No viginetting issue. I use a step-up ring to 77mm bcos I also have some other filters (ND110 & CPL) in 77mm thread size. I believe you can find a 52mm adapter ring in the market as well.
    Great!!! This is just the kind of real experience info I was looking for. Thanks ya!!!

Quote Originally Posted by anhyeuem View Post
    Hi I'm planning to get a GND kit for my m43 UWA 9-18mm. TK Foto is having a promotion bundle of Hitech 100mm GND 0.3 0.6 0.9 with Lee Foundation holder. Since lens is UWA, I have to get the 77mm wide adapter ring together with step up ring 52mm to 77mm since the UWA lens thread is only 52mm.

But I feel the size and price is an over kill since lens thread is just 52mm, so I guess the Hitech 84mm should do just fine, not to mention its 1/3 cheaper than the 100mm.

However here's the question, what kind of holders for the 84mm? Seems Hitech holders are poorly constructed and Cokin P Wide holder is just too sharp at the edges. Well at least this what I gathered on the net. Seems there is this Tianya wide angle holder I can use. Another problem is can I find a 52mm wide angle adapter ring? If not is the Tianya wide angle holder going to be enought to prevent vignetting?

So if anyone has any suggestions please do share, especially those with this lens m43 9-18mm, what is your GND setup. If possible pm me the shop name where you got it from.

Thanks all.
    m43 no need to go for such a big filter, go for cokin or hitech 85mm will do...

and you do not need to get a step up ring, you can buy the 52mm thread adaptor...

Quote Originally Posted by strikeback4 View Post
    m43 no need to go for such a big filter, go for cokin or hitech 85mm will do...

and you do not need to get a step up ring, you can buy the 52mm thread adaptor...
    yah, that's what i thought, 85mm should be fine. the post above yrs mention Tianya has a wide angle holder and he uses it without vignetting so i guess like you mention just a plain 52mm adapter ring. Thanks yah!!!