Thread: Anyway to denoise in PS?

Default Anyway to denoise in PS?

As in title. Using FZ10, so pictures are jpeg. Data loss with every save of the file is tremendous.

Scott Kelby, his book Photoshop CS for Digital Photographer, proposed following method

1. Load the image file
    2. Change the image color mode to to Lab color thru Image>Mode>Lab Color
    3. Now go to the Channels & select channel "a"
    4. From menu, use Filter menu, under Blur, choose Gaussian Blur to blur out the noise
    5. In Gaussian Blur dialog box, increase radius (i.e. amount of blur) until the dots disappears
    6. Now select channel "b" & repeat step 5
    7. Going back to the Image menu, use Image>Mode> RGB to return to RGB colour mode
    8. The noise level should have improved

I have used (and still use) this method, but the result is still not as noiseless as with noiseware (or other prog?). Are there any plugins for noise reduction?

i might have read somewhere in this forum dat he/she is using a noise removal plug in for ps.. cant remember tho.. will let u know if i can find it

Quote Originally Posted by ptred
    I have used (and still use) this method, but the result is still not as noiseless as with noiseware (or other prog?). Are there any plugins for noise reduction?
    You may try the following websites for plugins to Photoshop

http://www.imagenomic.com/download.asp (for Noiseware)
    http://heliconfilter.com/pages/index.php?id=446 (for Helicon)
    http://www.picturecode.com/nn_beta.htm (for Noise Ninja)
    http://www.neatimage.com/purchase.html (for Neat Image)

Quote Originally Posted by ptred
    I have at one time or another tried all the noise reduction programmes referred to by Squid.... and Lab mode a and b channel Gaussian Blur aka Scott Kelby (who did he pick it up from LOL).... and many others besides..such as 'noiseware community'.... But I have not tested Noise Ninja...will do so soon. Of all I have tried Neat Image and Helicon seem to be the best. I go back with Helicon yonks and now it is finally available as a PS Plug-in, it probably gets my thumbs up as the best....

Oh and just to outdo Scott Kelby for a quicker PS Solution...Apply a small Gaussian Blur (especially to a duplicated layer) and then immediately select Edit>Fade select 'colour'..It has the same effect...only applying the blur to the colour channels and not the lightness/luminance...LOL

Happy New Year

Stroma

Hi,

just want to contribute some of my experiments with the trial of noise ninja.
    Below are some 100% crops of my "noisy" pictures.

Shot at
    Fuiji 4900Z featuring Super(noisy)CDD technology
    ISO125
    Exp 1/64
    F/3.6

the original pic: Inherent grainy pic of 1st generation superCCDs

After Noise Ninja 1: Some red/blue/green dots disappeared but still grainy. (propery of early SuperCCDs, newer SuperCCDs dun suffer from this as much)

After Noise Ninja 2: Silky.. not much red/blue/greens and not as grainy

The prog was just downloaded installed and run at default settings. Well... if anyone got spare cash to buy noise ninja 2..results presented here is it. THey now have a plug-in for PS but since it's still labelled as BETA I din't try it out.

There are irritating watermarks for the trial version..

BTW, the background is a wall and the black thing is my friend's shoulder
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler