Thread: Question regard lens used for various cameras

qhelix
    Guests

Default Question regard lens used for various cameras

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find an answer after searching through the forums.

I've been reading up the specs of the Nikon 5700 and noticed the lens has a value of F2.8 - F4.2. Does this have something to do with the aperture? When I compared this to the Sony DSC F707, the Sony camera is F2.0 - F2.4. What exactly is teh significance of these values? I always thought the smaller the number, the better the camera performs in low light situations. But if this is the case, why doesn't the Nikon camera use those types of lens? Or why don't a number of cameras use this type of lens for that matter? I believe the Fujifilm S602Z is similar to the Nikon 5700 as well.

Midnight
    Guests

Default Re: Question regard lens used for various cameras

Originally posted by qhelix
    I've been reading up the specs of the Nikon 5700 and noticed the lens has a value of F2.8 - F4.2. Does this have something to do with the aperture?
    Yes. Basically, the value means that at minimum zoom, the lens can open up to a maximum aperture of f/2.8, while at maximum zoom the maximum aperture supported is f/4.2. Generally, it is true that a faster lens (i.e. lower f-number) is preferred for low-light situations because you can then use a faster shutter speed and/or lower ISO for the same exposure value. However, there are also many other considerations when evaluating a lens, e.g. sharpness/resolution and optical distortions.

As for the Coolpix 5700 vs Sony DSC-F707, you must also remember that the former has a 8x zoom lens (35-280mm)whereas the latter has a 5x zoom lens (38-190mm).

qhelix
    Guests

Thanks for the reply. At least these numbers are making more sense to me.