Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rain topic: do u dare to collect rain water??

Default Re: Rain topic: do u dare to collect rain water??

Quote Originally Posted by kklee View Post
    Maybe is the below, depending on how you interpret it.

Sewerage and Drainage Act (CHAPTER 294)

PART V
    PROTECTION OF WATER RESOURCES
    Prohibition on extraction of water
    31.—(1) No person shall, without the approval of the Board, construct any works for taking or intercepting water from any place or sea, within the territorial limits of Singapore.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJon82 View Post
    Drawing of ground water for consumption is illegal in Singapore I think. An example of the effect of drawing ground water is Bangkok city...

Nineeleven careful careful, if the well is link to the ground water and problem happens, officer will come after you soon.
    You guys are damn funny & should consider doing legal work. No wonder the average Singaporeans fail in a challenging environment, you worry too much guys.

Wells were the source of water for many locals & how many of you ever used one? Do you know it takes a skill to draw water from the well

Our wells were used till mid-1980s when govt took the land from us & it's a driving range now! They even compensated us for each durian tree

My call for green in today's context is that HDB should build water catchment tanks above flats & using cheaply available mix of ceramic, carbon, sand filters, you can have clean water. To cool buildings, they can plant grass on the roof which is on some projects now or spend money to develop solar cells & power us instead of buying gas from Indonesia. Sometimes a project can fail due to a deeper conspiracy = money. Sighhh

Another case would be electric transport. We are the best city in the world to pilot the project & reduce carbon footprint but petrol taxes is very satisfying.
    Last edited by NineEleven; 7th May 2012 at 06:49 PM.
    "Like Moths, photographers gather at the sight of light" Robert Doisneau
    My Little Port

Kinda reminds me of how Kuwait was accused of drilling directionally into Iraqi's oil fields from across their side of the border.

After the first Gulf War, the territorial boundaries of Kuwait was redrawn to include those oil fields in which they have been stealing from for years.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Quote Originally Posted by NineEleven View Post
    You guys are damn funny & should consider doing legal work. No wonder the average Singaporeans fail in a challenging environment, you worry too much guys.

Wells were the source of water for many locals & how many of you ever used one? Do you know it takes a skill to draw water from the well

Our wells were used till mid-1980s when govt took the land from us & it's a driving range now! They even compensated us for each durian tree

My call for green in today's context is that HDB should build water catchment tanks above flats & using cheaply available mix of ceramic, carbon, sand filters, you can have clean water. To cool buildings, they can plant grass on the roof which is on some projects now or spend money to develop solar cells & power us instead of buying gas from Indonesia. Sometimes a project can fail due to a deeper conspiracy = money. Sighhh

Another case would be electric transport. We are the best city in the world to pilot the project & reduce carbon footprint but petrol taxes is very satisfying.

Water Rationing (by Freddy Neo)

In 1962, Singapore and Southern Johore suffered a severe drought. Rain did not fall for months. At that time, Singapore had only three open reservoirs. MacRitchie was the biggest and Seletar (now upper Seletar) was the smallest. Peirce Reservoir (now Lower Peirce) was the third reservoir.

I grew up in a house near to the Peirce Reservoir. I often went to the reservoir with my father and siblings during weekends to walk or fish and we could see the dwindling water stock. The shoreline was receding. With each passing day, the shoreline was further and further away. All around, the dry bed was baked solid dry and cracking.

Source : Good Morning Yesterday: Water Rationing (by Freddy Neo)

Singapore population in 1962 is about 1.7mil.

S$1 billion environmental blueprint to make Singapore a clean technology and urban solutions hub

In April this year, the Singapore government unveiled a sweeping blueprint to help build a greener, more energy efficient and sustainable nation.
    The S$1 billion (US$692 million) green plan which is to be implemented over the next five years, was put forth by the Inter-Ministerial Committee for Sustainable Development, chaired by Singapore's National Development Minister, Mah Bow Tan, and the Environment and Water Resources Minister, Dr Yaacob Ibrahim.

Source : S$1 billion environmental blueprint to make Singapore a clean technology and urban solutions hub | Singapore Economic Development Board

Quote Originally Posted by kklee View Post

S$1 billion environmental blueprint to make Singapore a clean technology and urban solutions hub

In April this year, the Singapore government unveiled a sweeping blueprint to help build a greener, more energy efficient and sustainable nation.
    The S$1 billion (US$692 million) green plan which is to be implemented over the next five years, was put forth by the Inter-Ministerial Committee for Sustainable Development, chaired by Singapore's National Development Minister, Mah Bow Tan, and the Environment and Water Resources Minister, Dr Yaacob Ibrahim.

Source : S$1 billion environmental blueprint to make Singapore a clean technology and urban solutions hub | Singapore Economic Development Board
    Hey that's nice! Looks like my ideas are in-line with policies ^^ But it was 2009, three years ago @ the infant of financial crisis.

Do you guys know the progress by now? For a start, they should make our public transport electric or hybrid. Electric vehicles are still non-existant so they should give incentives to electric cars rather than tax them as usual & start building charging stations.
    "Like Moths, photographers gather at the sight of light" Robert Doisneau
    My Little Port

Quote Originally Posted by chiangkxv View Post
    u mean Sungei Batu Apoi? I thought those were teh tarik? lol
    Also happened to pour some water from a jerry can in the middle of the night, drank it and find myself with a mouthful of unknown POL.

Still think "Teh" or "Milo" tasted better, at least it doesn't leave behind a heavy lingering aftertaste for days.
    Last edited by 9V-Orion Images; 7th May 2012 at 09:42 PM.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Blog Entries

question is

do you DARE collect rain water. not is it RIGHT to collect rainwater.

i must now solemnly answer the question we all sorely missed.

yes i DARE to collect rain water

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart
    question is

I collected before. So, its a dare. If been told cannot collect rain water, when rain watersips into my house, i tio charge? Heh heh!
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    question is

There is no need for me to DARE to collect rainwater which is why I never answer that question.

Hey that's nice! Looks like my ideas are in-line with policies ^^ But it was 2009, three years ago @ the infant of financial crisis.

Do you guys know the progress by now? For a start, they should make our public transport electric or hybrid. Electric vehicles are still non-existant so they should give incentives to electric cars rather than tax them as usual & start building charging stations.
    Eh... I think MRTs are electric, look what happened?

Wells were the source of water for many locals & how many of you ever used one?
    Wells are our home. So many people say we live in a well.

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    question is

So you are the famous Master of Rain?

The stance is that PUB thinks rainwater belongs to them and they frown on people trying to collect rainwater for private usage, hence the disposal fees. There are people trying to push for changes to this mindset.

And rainwater is not "clean", depending on what you use for. Apparently, leave it to collect for a few days and the water will turn slimey and sticky. These are what was told to me by one of the Ngee An Poly lecturer expertise in water usage.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CamInit View Post
    The stance is that PUB thinks rainwater belongs to them
    please show us where PUB said that or instances where it is physically demonstrated

then Orchard Road flooding legal suits no need to fight until like that because PUB sure lose since the water in the canal 'belongs' to them right ? lolzz
    Last edited by ed9119; 8th May 2012 at 12:20 PM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fotoudavid View Post
    rain water from sky belongs to government... true or false??
    false....

aiyoh.... next go start a thread "Air belongs to the Government - do you dare breathe ? " u win liao lor
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

But if air comes out from the other end? ....kekeke

If i remember correctly, on the other side of the causeway, it is actually illegal to harvest sunlight for residential usage.

So if rain water belongs to the government, and floods are an act of god, that means the government is god

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    false....

aiyoh.... next go start a thread "Air belongs to the Government - do you dare breathe ? " u win liao lor
    not sure also, i posted this in fish forum before here, and people also unsure, some says true but no evident..... waiting for one actually.
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

false....

You can breathe but not polluting the air by releasing foul wind. Re: Anti-Air pollution Law.

please show us where PUB said that or instances where it is physically demonstrated

then Orchard Road flooding legal suits no need to fight until like that because PUB sure lose since the water in the canal 'belongs' to them right ? lolzz
    kklee has already quoted the relevant Act (Prohibition on extraction of water). It's not stated outright water belongs to them but you have to get permission. If it doesn't belong to them why need permission from them in the first place? Read how it is phrased. That's why I say it's a stance not a law. I think the direction is that they are gradually being nudged into relaxing this rule but to make changes in the statute itself will be a long and slow process.

Prohibition on extraction of water
    (1) No person shall, without the approval of the Board, construct any works for taking or intercepting water from any place or sea, within the territorial limits of Singapore.
    [8/2001]
    (2) An application for approval to construct any works for taking or intercepting water from any such place or sea shall be made in such form as the Board may require.
    [8/2001]
    (3) In considering an application made under this section, the Board may require the applicant to furnish such particulars and plans for the proposed works as it thinks fit.
    [8/2001]
    (4) In granting any approval under this section, the Board may impose such conditions as it thinks fit.
    [8/2001]
    (5) Any person who contravenes subsection (1) shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding $20,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 3 months.
    (6) This section shall not apply to the lands, buildings and installations of the Board.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast