Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Photography school

Quote Originally Posted by poohbear
    hmm .... i'm sure the thread starter are refering to any proper and guided training around , which in his terms meant 'professional cert'
    lol...k, k! just giving frenly advice that ultimately, in this trade, esp. the SG scene...portfolio n experience speaks for itself. but yea, it is always good to have some kind of fancy titles behind your professional name

Quote Originally Posted by singscott
    Hello alot people guessing here. Hai!! NAFA is offering Visual commucation(Photography) diploma courses, so is LaSelle. If you need a piece of paper to say you are pro. They are it.
    Great, that's good.
    Last edited by catchlights; 4th January 2005 at 11:01 AM.

There are no such certificate level courses in Singapore. There are more than a few insitutions located in US, Australia, UK ect.

There is a purpose for such schools - as mentioned by a working professional from the US based in Singapore - "the school taught us how to do various types of photography so that when in the course of commerical work I know straight where to start and how roughly to go about it in areas that are out side the normal work I do; I also know when to turn a job down and refer in on simply because it is not possible for me to do a good job on it". Of course you can always learn as you go, then your customers will some times be experiments in the course of your learning. Most of the overseas schools require a review of your portfolio before shortlisting candidates for admission. No point taking money to teach a horse how to sing opera - its not very workable.

Accreditation is good simply because it allows the buyer to know if a certain basic level of abiltity has been reached. Portfolios are great but sometimes they are not representative - think of them as the best of collection rather than an album of 80% chart toping hits.

i believe there are some photography jobs in the civil service which you still need a cert. Not a 'professional photographer' in the artistic sense, but for documentary work. They won't bother with your portfolio, just wanna see your cert to prove that you're properly (ie technically) trained.

Quote Originally Posted by ST1100
    i believe there are some photography jobs in the civil service which you still need a cert. Not a 'professional photographer' in the artistic sense, but for documentary work. They won't bother with your portfolio, just wanna see your cert to prove that you're properly (ie technically) trained.
    Agreed with you, but you're talking about the civil service here. Since when have the civil service top management ever done anything without looking at your cert first. Infact cert is the only think they look at.

Quote Originally Posted by yqt
    Agreed with you, but you're talking about the civil service here. Since when have the civil service top management ever done anything without looking at your cert first. Infact cert is the only think they look at.
    well ... OT a bit , i have one master degree holder here and her standard of work ..erm .... SUCKS ! ... That explained some of yqt detailed observation and i second that !!

well ... OT a bit , i have one master degree holder here and her standard of work ..erm .... SUCKS ! ... That explained some of yqt detailed observation and i second that !!
    Reminds me of a very senior menagement lady who once said, " if you don't have a cert but can work, join the private sector, you'll go far if you work hard. If you have a cert but can't work join the civil service, you'll go very far so long as you have a better cert than the next guy."

I assume you are talking about photography! But even for non-photography subjects, it is well known that an academic qualification does not equate good "works". I am more than acquainted with this problem. I had work with people with "Multiple Diplomatosis". The work output have absolutely no correlation with the academic qualifications.

Nonetheless, this is not a reason to throw scorn on academic qualifications. I do not have a PhD. But had worked with many PhD blokes, and even partially supervise one PhD student. The training necessary to research and write a scientifc treatise such as a doctoral thesis is a training that prepares one for the vigors of future scientific research. What one does after obtaining the PhD is another matter. Much depends on the motivation and creative scientific genius of the individual. I am fully aware that the PhD bloke may not achieve much more than another who merely have a Master's. Nonetheless, even for the one with a Masters, rigorous training is still the order of the day.

As far as photography is concern, what training/school/workshops offer is a more rounded approach than a haphazard learning on one's own. I am like many here, largely "self-taught" although I had attended a few workshops. These "structured" training gives a rounded education, even if it is very narrow, such as darkroom printing alone, that will otherwise take a long time to learn.

There is no substitute for self-discovery/training to discover one's voice. But I wonder if I would still be doing the same type of photography if I am more "exposed" to other genres of photography? Of course, eventually one finds one's voice, as I am slowly discovering for myself. Butit sure takes a long time!

Many here are doing digital, because this is the "age" and you are constantly surrounded by digicams and PS. A model I photographed a couple of weeks ago had never seen a 120 film. The other photographer also have not seen one! Many here have never seen a platinum or bromoil or lith print in the real flesh. How could you when the opportunity do not exist? How could you whenthe people you learn from also have no/little knowledge of such photographic genres? It does not mean that your current photography is not good. It means that perhaps the haphazard approach may have "deprived" you of a better means to express your voice/vision.

So I see a photography school as providing a strong foundation that would take the industrious self-learner years to learn. What one does witht he knowledge is another matter.

Quote Originally Posted by student
    Nonetheless, this is not a reason to throw scorn on academic qualifications. I do not have a PhD. But had worked with many PhD blokes, and even partially supervise one PhD student. The training necessary to research and write a scientifc treatise such as a doctoral thesis is a training that prepares one for the vigors of future scientific research. What one does after obtaining the PhD is another matter. Much depends on the motivation and creative scientific genius of the individual. I am fully aware that the PhD bloke may not achieve much more than another who merely have a Master's. Nonetheless, even for the one with a Masters, rigorous training is still the order of the day.

but all this does not qualify them to make other co-worker vomit blood , sometime our whole department wonder how she got her masters. .... ... ......

but all this does not qualify them to make other co-worker vomit blood , sometime our whole department wonder how she got her masters. .... ... ......
    Erm... It sounds quite familiar...

One bad apple does not mean that all apples are bad. Be fair. There are exams/theses to write, and examiners to satisfy. Often external examiners.

As I had mentioned, some just stop "growing" there. They will get their just dues. But those with a solid foundation coupled with enthusiasm can have the potential to go much further.

Let us not talk about geniuses who can play the piano the day they are born. Let us celebrate these geniuses. But for most of us mortals, which is the ideal path? Unfortunately also for most of us, the "ideal" and "best" and "quickest" and "creative" paths are often not available to us.

Default school

Quote Originally Posted by fintan
    Are there any schools in singapore where i can study photography and get a cert to be a professional photographer?
    hi fintan...no hard feeling..but personally i find that "Pro" take good profile to decide..not about study..singapore has well known to be too academy...all about cert cert cert...dont u find it dry?? rather..i find our snap org forum has a lot of good photographer and lense-man whom you can learnt from them. practical. spent $$$$$ on practical shotting is the best to gain real life profile.

alternatively...try to search if got good studio want to hire assistance...i guess learning directly from them is good.

as for photo-cert....seriously..no one will appreciate even u got cert.

kimu-san
    KIM & PPY
    Black Camp F100,D90, AFD 35mm f2.0, Voigtlander Cosina 58mm Nokton Classic F1.4.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12