Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's Happening to Us?

Default Re: What's Happening to Us?

many people seem to focus on gears too much, can't even find they ever post any photos.

maybe to them, they have great enjoyment from discussing, holding, owning, buying and selling cameras and lenses. and that is their hobby.

we must learn to respect each others' hobby.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by eleveninth View Post
    not suprised

since newbies are starting with 5D3 ( now must upgrade to 5D3, last time use to be 5D2) and 50L here.
    hot damn! i remember when i first started into slrs/dslrs was on a minolta x300s! kids are sure lucky nowadays... do they earn their own money for their equipments?

There are all sorts of people in this world. I can't afford to follow them.
    Last edited by henry soh; 7th May 2012 at 09:30 AM.

Blog Entries

some people like me will just want to fix even a $2 accessory bought from Daiso ..... other people will just junk and replace a LED TV just because the remote control battery is flat ...... what to do.... different people got different ways of fixing the problem ?

its the cost of affluence ..... go to Little India karang guni center ..... they are doing a roaring business exporting what we are throwing out...
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    many people seem to focus on gears too much, can't even find they ever post any photos.

maybe to them, they have great enjoyment from discussing, holding, owning, buying and selling cameras and lenses. and that is their hobby.

Remembered hearing the phrase " gear fondlers " from somewhere ..

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    hot damn! i remember when i first started into slrs/dslrs was on a minolta x300s! kids are sure lucky nowadays... do they earn their own money for their equipments?
    nowsadays. kids just open mouth get ipad iphone car camela.

what you think le. lol.

Some are lucky to born with a silver spoon while some are not. Some get it Some not. thats life.. In short..

I just mind my own business.

Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    So you have been bothered about this for the past two weeks? Really?
    haha no. I don't think about it everyday like you're suggesting. Just that when it comes to mind it simply makes me wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by kwanhan View Post
    well most of the thread starters already have been poisoned and are looking for affirmation...

$400 only goes that far in terms of photography
    Ah ... yes most true. That's why I admitted to really enjoying the process of buying new lenses and using them and of course such new additions these days cost more than 400 ....

Quote Originally Posted by kwanhan View Post
    we seldom stop to think in the currency of plates of chicken rice and double cheeseburgers
    Well to each his own. I reckon that as much as I love the hobby, I'll always pick food over lenses any day.

I am one of the people that you've described. I've bought and sold equipment of value greater than the sum of my photographic talent (or lack of). I love to be able to caress my prized lens and bodies. Perhaps because they always look beautiful, whereas I can't say the same about my photos... they are rarely decent. If I post my photos here, you won't be able to tell if I was shooting MBS or my ancestral altar.

In the same way, I love my Ferrari. Let it be known that I'm not a pro driver, but that doesn't stop me from zipping around in a supercar. I love it that people give me a second look and that cars avoid me when I want to change lanes (even if I'm going at 40km/h on ECP).

Likewise I'm a lousy photographer, but holding an M9 makes me feel happy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by eleveninth View Post
    nowsadays. kids just open mouth get ipad iphone car camela.

what you think le. lol.
    apparently i no so rich hahaha...

want phone? go win a competition and get a good one.
    want camela? work as construction worker and get one...

ipad? what ipad haha! nothing my laptop cannot do

i'm the type of person to squeeze every last drop out of my equipments. my old 450d has seen better days. it looks comparable to those journalists use for war photography now.
    Last edited by allenleonhart; 7th May 2012 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by phoeniix View Post
    I was at the talk by David (fatigue) during the CS 10th Anniversary celebrations at SAM (and I must say it had been a most educational talk). Towards the end a question was asked about the focus ring of a 50 1.4 and why/what would cause the focus ring to become a little stiff with a grinding feel. While David was explaining the possible cause(s) and showing us how it could be fixed, I overheard a fellow Snapper commenting on why don't the owner simply buy another copy instead.

So the immediate question that came to mind is - What? But another copy of the lens would be at least 400++! Did that person misheard and thought the lens was a 50 1.8? I don't think that repairing the focus ring would cost that much and $400 would buy me 200 double cheeseburgers or 150 plates of chicken rice! (ok odd way of comparing but I used to, and still do apparently, compare the worth of something to me comfort foods)

The question is have we "lost" our sense of value? While I do admit to really find buying and using a new lens satisfying and that I've grown to see how a good lens costing four digits is often worth its price but do we simply place our money down to buy another copy of a lens we own just simply because we could? Are we being overly practical or am I being a little too attached to the things I own? Have we reached a point where we think "it's only $400"?

I wonder if anyone of us out there would ever think - "hmmm its only the price of five 24-70 lenses. How affordable!"
    There was at least 2 consecutive annual studies done by the Legatum Institute that found Singaporeans to be the most prosperous in the world by the value of their material possessions. This suggests that the average Singaporean is very rich to buy fully paid digital cameras, designer handbags, cars and homes, or buy them on credit and in debt. Well, this is an issue we could debate forever, and it's not the point here.

One thing is for sure, our world has gradually become a highly disposable one. We dispose of many things. Apart from the obviously disposable things like paper plates and plastic crockery, we dispose faulty appliances, outdated furniture, irritating pets, unloving partners, ageing parents and accidentally-conceived children instead of trying to resolve our problems with them. Our affluence makes disposal all too convenient, and hence we simply throw-throw-throw and buy-buy-buy, or maybe the other way around, but the throw-buy mentality is there. Little wonder how we have pollute our homeland with the garbage we threw out. Mind you, sometimes this garbage is not just a product, it could also be a person, such as an ex-girlfriend who wanted more designer handbags from you, or a misbehaving cat which often peed on your bed.

Sometimes, some things and their faults can be economical to repair, but sometimes they may not. If the repair will cost more than the price of a new one, then buy a new one. It is a matter of common sense.

It is surely possible that some people have a poor understanding of the value of money. (They have the impression that money comes into their hands very easily, say maybe from their doting rich parents, or from their lustful sugar daddies and sugar mummies.) It is also possible that some people are born into extremely wealthy families. These people may see nothing wrong in throwing away a $400 lens or even a $4000 lens. You could have been seated beside someone who is in such a fortunate circumstance.

Well, let them be then. To each his own.
    Last edited by Jemapela; 7th May 2012 at 08:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    there are also many poor in this land that have multiple credit cards
    This is almost certainly true, not only in Singapore, but in many other developed countries where people buy on credit and don't clearly realize the amount of debt and interest they have accumulated.

Quote Originally Posted by lobsterkia View Post
    Remembered hearing the phrase " gear fondlers " from somewhere ..
    Hah! I have heard "gear wanker" and "equipment m#st#rb#tor".

Manufacturers are partly to blame. They want you to throw away the defective item and buy a new one.
    Their authorised service centre purposely price repair and replacement of parts excessively high. So that consumer will feel it is not worth repairing. Better buy a new item.
    However, the irritated consumer may not buy the same brand and instead, cross over to a competing brand.

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    Manufacturers are partly to blame. They want you to throw away the defective item and buy a new one.
    Their authorised service centre purposely price repair and replacement of parts excessively high. So that consumer will feel it is not worth repairing. Better buy a new item.
    However, the irritated consumer may not buy the same brand and instead, cross over to a competing brand.
    Yes, indeed. Some manufacturers may not want to incur high costs in producing, distributing, and storing large numbers of spare parts, and also high costs in maintaining many repair centers and technical service personnel worldwide, hence they discourage repairs by slapping high prices on parts (usually).

oh like me. i collect gear and then i use my camera to take photos of my new gear. I never post my photos cos i no skill.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12