Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's Happening to Us?

Default What's Happening to Us?

I've been thinking about this for a while now but just could not place my finger as to what is really bothering me and decided to just simply write my thoughts down.

So here's the context of things:

I was at the talk by David (fatigue) during the CS 10th Anniversary celebrations at SAM (and I must say it had been a most educational talk). Towards the end a question was asked about the focus ring of a 50 1.4 and why/what would cause the focus ring to become a little stiff with a grinding feel. While David was explaining the possible cause(s) and showing us how it could be fixed, I overheard a fellow Snapper commenting on why don't the owner simply buy another copy instead.

So the immediate question that came to mind is - What? But another copy of the lens would be at least 400++! Did that person misheard and thought the lens was a 50 1.8? I don't think that repairing the focus ring would cost that much and $400 would buy me 200 double cheeseburgers or 150 plates of chicken rice! (ok odd way of comparing but I used to, and still do apparently, compare the worth of something to me comfort foods)

The question is have we "lost" our sense of value? While I do admit to really find buying and using a new lens satisfying and that I've grown to see how a good lens costing four digits is often worth its price but do we simply place our money down to buy another copy of a lens we own just simply because we could? Are we being overly practical or am I being a little too attached to the things I own? Have we reached a point where we think "it's only $400"?

I wonder if anyone of us out there would ever think - "hmmm its only the price of five 24-70 lenses. How affordable!"

We are getting older and as we near that age something called the mid life crisis kicks in. Speaking from experience here. I'm already 46 this year the tendency to BBB also increases exponentially.
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

Default Re: What's Happening to Us?

This in a land of $1,200 fish. COE >$100K. Long Qs for ppty selling at >$1,700 per square foot. There are MANY poor in this land. Conspicuous consumption of the minority rich gives a misleading impression of the general state of things.

I don't feel the majority think like that. There is hope for the rest of us yet!

there are also many poor in this land that have multiple credit cards

Well, the above was probably one of the example how we live in today......its easier to dispose the broken one than to fix it........things no longer build to last......and labour cost probably cost a bomb even if u manage to find someone and there is no guaranteed of the outcome.....there is no incentive to maintain something unless it carries sentimental value or it worth more like antiques......and also the opportunity cost which that person could probably earn more if he or she spend the time on........don't get me wrong.....I am not concurring the act above....but who am I to stop someone else if that was probably the most sensible choice available? The only thing I could do is to learn and pick up more DIY knowledge so that I don't have to rely on those half pass 6 technicians

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    This in a land of $1,200 fish. COE >$100K. Long Qs for ppty selling at >$1,700 per square foot. There are MANY poor in this land. Conspicuous consumption of the minority rich gives a misleading impression of the general state of things.
    If we focus just on photographic community where we all start off somewhere, say with gear costing low 1000 or less. Would we inevitably go to the point of simply looking at a 400 lens as "cheap"?

As for the people queuing for private properties costing 1.7K psf, I wonder if they wished they hadn't jumped on the bandwagon ....

Quote Originally Posted by bonrya View Post
    We are getting older and as we near that age something called the mid life crisis kicks in. Speaking from experience here. I'm already 46 this year the tendency to BBB also increases exponentially.
    Haha. Well Bonrya, I just hope that I'll have kids then who'll keep me firmly on the ground and not go too over board with whatever my hobbies are at that point of time

I was at one of the SAM photographic talks last year when I saw a kid with an M9. I don't think he earned that kind of $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by phoeniix View Post
    I've been thinking about this for a while now but just could not place my finger as to what is really bothering me and decided to just simply write my thoughts down.
    So you have been bothered about this for the past two weeks? Really?
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

It is just reflecting about the past experience and learning and getting wiser.
    Last edited by henry soh; 7th May 2012 at 09:03 AM.

I was at the talk by David (fatigue) during the CS 10th Anniversary celebrations at SAM (and I must say it had been a most educational talk).
    Thanks.

OT
    Here's the link to the fix:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/canon...4-ef-lens.html
    9815-1974
    FB: Hilos Camera Repair

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    So you have been bothered about this for the past two weeks? Really?
    why not? hahaha. we call it an obsession. i have a few of these once in a while *whistles*

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    there are also many poor in this land that have multiple credit cards
    That could be the reason why they are poor. Banks just love the 23 to 35 age group, most of them will have started to experience earn their own salaries, without any financial commitments, sudden like got money fall from sky. Then got credit cards can buy without having to have money in bank, what more can pay latter yah like strike toto 5k one card 6 cards is 30k.

Haha. Well Bonrya, I just hope that I'll have kids then who'll keep me firmly on the ground and not go too over board with whatever my hobbies are at that point of time
    Good luck with that! I'm glad I'm a spinster so I can afford it. Kekeke
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

Quote Originally Posted by esoeij View Post
    I don't feel the majority think like that. There is hope for the rest of us yet!
    I don't know, everytime I see a "should I upgrade to FF" thread and 90% of the replies focus on which FF camera and what lenses instead of whether the TS needs one in the first place...

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    why not? hahaha. we call it an obsession. i have a few of these once in a while *whistles*
    Better to be obsess with other more meaningful activities than worrying for two whole weeks about how other complete strangers say they are going to spend their own money.
    Last edited by 9V-Orion Images; 6th May 2012 at 10:39 PM.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

TS, relax. Some ppl just talk without thinking much.

But there are really some ppl are rich till they dont bother to repair, just get new one even cost them thousands.

As long you know how to cherish something, it's good enough, dont bother much about what other said.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    I don't know, everytime I see a "should I upgrade to FF" thread and 90% of the replies focus on which FF camera and what lenses instead of whether the TS needs one in the first place...

well most of the thread starters already have been poisoned and are looking for affirmation...

but anyhow, we are living in an age where people often look to use disposable income to purchase disposable things... less people think of photography equipment as some sort of consumer durable.

the idea of upgrading... bigger, better, faster... has a choke hold on us. Once in a while we get replies like "if photographers in the past could take great photos with yester-year's equipment...." which are promptly disregarded.

but I must admit that photography does skew our sense of what is expensive or not.... $400 only goes that far in terms of photography

we seldom stop to think in the currency of plates of chicken rice and double cheeseburgers

not suprised

since newbies are starting with 5D3 ( now must upgrade to 5D3, last time use to be 5D2) and 50L here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast