Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nikon Micro and Normal lens

Default Re: Nikon Micro and Normal lens

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post

Note that bokeh are actually the aesthetic quality of the blur, and not just the out-of-focus point of light.
    Correct - Bokeh is the quality of the out-of-focus areas and how they enhance/subtract from the subject. It's more than just the shape of the specular highlights.
    Alpha

very interesting discussion i read n what i understand reading up on bokeh....it's just not the OOF quality, also if we want a pleasing bokeh, that needs to be composed correctly n nicely too. is my understanding right? i guess that's more in the bokeh than just a bokeh itself...

but then again, for micro shots, the composition is more to contrast the foreground than the background.....is it? but for potrait, it requires a good background composed as well....

Quote Originally Posted by Konspire View Post
    very interesting discussion i read n what i understand reading up on bokeh....it's just not the OOF quality, also if we want a pleasing bokeh, that needs to be composed correctly n nicely too. is my understanding right? i guess that's more in the bokeh than just a bokeh itself...

but then again, for micro shots, the composition is more to contrast the foreground than the background.....is it? but for potrait, it requires a good background composed as well....
    Everything needed to be composed correctly to be pleasing. Bokeh by itself means the aesthetic quality of the blur. Because some of the lens produce very 'messy' blur and some (eg. mirror lens) produce donut shaped point of light which can be very distracting.

So if your lens produced messy blur, there is pretty much very little (except PP) to save the quality of the blur. that is also one reason, many people look to lenses that could produce good bokeh.

And btw, bokeh was derived from a Japanese word boke which means 'blur'. and the quality of the blur cannot be save by composition.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

just imagine the photo is like a plate of char kway teow, your subject is the kway teow and the Bokeh is the plate,

if your kway teow (subject) is uncooked, tasteless, too saltish, no matter how nice is the plate (bokeh), it will not make this kway teow more edible.

but if you kway teow is already superb, using nice plate (bokeh) will make the whole plate of char kway teow more perfect.

btw, don't laugh at me of using char kway teow as example, cos many years back, a member just bought a new pro grade camera, and he shoot a plate of half eaten char kway teow to show us how awesome is the image quality from his new pro grade camera.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

More info on bokeh.
    Bokeh

As mentioned already, roundness/number of aperture blades only affects the shape of the OOF highlights (only part of the bokeh story), but there will be times when there are no OOF highlights in the background. It is more related to the spherical aberration of a lens (Spherical aberration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), which would probably mean that aspherical lenses don't have good bokeh.
    Also lenses which produce nice, creamy OOF backgrounds wouldn't do so well with OOF foregrounds. But in most cases we try to crop out distracting foregrounds, so perhaps that point is moot.

haha...char kway teow is not only a good example but also make me hungry liao....

so i guess it derives down on how or what kind of image you want to produce that will help you decide what kind of lens you want to get. n i think not only to that, sometimes we have to compromise between getting versatile lens n dedicated lens....

Hi, i have something to sharing here of normal vs micro lens works out.
    below is my simple done on photos sample.
    Hope my simple photos can help you all.

Normal Lens

Micro Lens

My compare this 2 lens

Thanks

Nice, thxs. So for ur 50mm, thats the working distance? As well as the micro, thats the minimum working distance?

Quote Originally Posted by Konspire
    Nice, thxs. So for ur 50mm, thats the working distance? As well as the micro, thats the minimum working distance?
    Ya I think is 45cm from the camera.

All the specs can find in Nikon website.

Quote Originally Posted by Konspire View Post
    Nikon 50mm f1.8G minimum working distance is 0.45m and Nikon 40mm f2.8 micro lens had a minimum working distance of 0.163m.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12