Thread: Need advises on a suitable camera

Default Need advises on a suitable camera

I am hoping to get a relatively good camera that will allow me to take good macro shots, scenic shots and travel shots.

I am quite concerned about the lighting though, (over exposure or too dark)
    Thus I want to get one that takes photos as natural look as possible or even very colorful is fine,

The camera must be able to react quickly...

Currently, my samsung camera 'reacts a few seconds slow' thus my pictures are almost always not what I want. Also, the photos are mostly either over or under exposed.

That is why am looking into getting a new camera.

Please advise.

Thank you in advance.

Default Re: Need advises on a suitable camera

Any modern camera from the better brands (Sony, Canon, Nikon, Panasonic) will give you what you want.

You have not mentioned budget, or if you prefer a compact or DSLR, etc.

Your info is too broad - try to narrow it down after a bit more research. Otherwise we could recommend you 100+ cameras and tell you to go fish.
    Alpha

hi junetan7

Apart from compact semi-pro point and shoots / prosumers, I am assuming you want something a step beyond ur PNS that offers lens interchangeability. You might also want to give us a little on the budget as Rashkae has mentioned.

Broadly you can consider
    2) DSLRs - Bigger bulkier due to the reflex mirror of the SLR design, it is the more age old established system since film, more lens options from ultrawides to much longer telephoto lenses, larger aperture options, options of larger full frame sensors etc.
    2) Mirrorless systems - more compact and lighter than DSLRs, may not have as established line of lenses as DSLRs. IQ is still much better than a point and shoot, can be comparable to DSLRs. Examples include Sony NEX / Fujifilm / Panasonic / Olympus etc

There are always exception to rules. Leicas offer full frame digital compact range finders, Sony has an SLT series that is a little positioned betw SLR and mirrorless somewhat.

Ryan

You can check out the Olympus OM-D EM-5 camera. It has gotten pretty good reviews for its image quality, speedy autofocus and accurate metering.

cheers,
    z.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

As Rashkae said, you need to be more specific, about budget, what type of camera.

And do also consider that the problems you're facing (bad exposure, slow operation) are most often because of the user and not the camera.

Granted, some exposure systems are better than others. Most modern cameras are good in average light, but all can be fooled in tricky lighting. Even a Nikon D4 or a Leica M9 will under or over-expose in contrasty light. Experienced users know this, recognise the situations when it will occur, and use exposure compensation, autoexposure lock and/or fill-flash to compensate.

As for the camera reacting slowly ('a few seconds' sounds like a bit of an exaggeration), do try using a half-press of the shutter release button to pre-focus and expose. When the shot looks right, release the shutter by pressing the button all the way. The half-press-to-full-press delay should be no more than 0.1 - 0.3 seconds, unless there really is something wrong with your camera!

BTW, most live view displays have a noticeable lag (wave your hand in front of the camera and watch the screen and you should notice this). So, if you're shooting something that requires quick response, frame the shot on the LCD, but time the release by keeping an eye on the real action.

Quote Originally Posted by junetan7 View Post
    I am hoping to get a relatively good camera that will allow me to take good macro shots, scenic shots and travel shots.

I am quite concerned about the lighting though, (over exposure or too dark)
    Thus I want to get one that takes photos as natural look as possible or even very colorful is fine,

The camera must be able to react quickly...

Currently, my samsung camera 'reacts a few seconds slow' thus my pictures are almost always not what I want. Also, the photos are mostly either over or under exposed.

That is why am looking into getting a new camera.

Please advise.

Thank you in advance.
    Which type of camera are you looking for specifically?
    DSLR / Mirrorless / advanced Pns?

Pentax, Nikon, Canon, Sony, Olympus, Samsung, Panasonic all make good cameras that can meet your needs.

If you are looking for a prosumer camera without the choice of changing lenses, you might want to take a look at the Canon G1X.

Other than this, there are a wide range of cameras that fit your requirements, such as the m4/3 Olympus or Panasonic cameras, or dSLRs.

Thank you so much for the advices and info.

I am new when it comes to photography. Bt my previous canon compact PNS had been good, except the focus seems a little blur. And mostly, I take photos without flashlight so the photos are very near to whatever my eyes see in real life. I do not mind if the collies are richer though.

Forgot to add more details
    Here goes - hoping to get something that is slightly better than PNS.
    If none fits into my budget, then I will just get a compact PNS camera.

Budget is about $600 only.

Currently using Samsung PL170.
    I had tried and experimented lots on it. Bt cannot get what I want. Some effects are awesome though.
    The time lax is most annoying. When i take photos of kids in action or my pet moving, the action would have been long gone before the camera captures.

That is why I definitely have to look for another camera.

Quote Originally Posted by junetan7 View Post
    Thank you so much for the advices and info.

I am new when it comes to photography. Bt my previous canon compact PNS had been good, except the focus seems a little blur. And mostly, I take photos without flashlight so the photos are very near to whatever my eyes see in real life. I do not mind if the collies are richer though.

Forgot to add more details
    Here goes - hoping to get something that is slightly better than PNS.
    If none fits into my budget, then I will just get a compact PNS camera.

Budget is about $600 only.

Currently using Samsung PL170.
    I had tried and experimented lots on it. Bt cannot get what I want. Some effects are awesome though.
    The time lax is most annoying. When i take photos of kids in action or my pet moving, the action would have been long gone before the camera captures.

That is why I definitely have to look for another camera.
    600 is a good budget. You can consider a second-hand m4/3, Nex or DSLR. An A55 DSLT (with fast autofocus in liveview when composing using the LCD) is less than 600 on the buy and sell.

If you want something compact, a newer compact camera will already help you loads - look at the Canon powershot and the Sony Cybershot models, both are decent in the autofocus speed department.
    Last edited by Rashkae; 6th May 2012 at 01:39 AM.
    Alpha