Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Canon EOS600D vs Olympus Pen EP3

  1. #1

    Default Canon EOS600D vs Olympus Pen EP3

    Dear all, I m a newbie to photography. Would like some advise from the experts.

    My requirement
    -take travel photo
    -prefer creative shots ( BW, Vivid colour, sepia shots )
    -not satisfy with point n shoot pic quality
    -like DSLR pic quality
    -do not intend to upgrade with lens and too much accessories
    -get a decent cam with kit lens and stop there ( at this moment , as only used for traveling n events)
    -noob in technical terms
    -budget $1000+

    I am considering between Canon 600D n Olympus EP3

    What I like about Canon 600D
    -built in view finder
    -flip LCD
    -grip

    What I like about Olympus EP3
    -10 art filter
    -lighter n smaller

    Which 1 should I get?

  2. #2
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: Canon EOS600D vs Olympus Pen EP3

    Why don't you consider Canon G1X instead? Slightly bigger sensor than normal P&S and abit smaller than m4/3. But if you are strictly sticking to the above 2 choices, I will pick EP3... for it's size..
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  3. #3

    Default Re: Canon EOS600D vs Olympus Pen EP3

    Thanks bro, so sorry, new to clubsnap as wee.

    Have deleted my the other post

  4. #4
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: Canon EOS600D vs Olympus Pen EP3

    Quote Originally Posted by Geraldineang View Post
    Thanks bro, so sorry, new to clubsnap as wee.

    Have deleted my the other post
    No worries Welcome to CS.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  5. #5

    Default Re: Canon EOS600D vs Olympus Pen EP3

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    Why don't you consider Canon G1X instead? Slightly bigger sensor than normal P&S and abit smaller than m4/3. But if you are strictly sticking to the above 2 choices, I will pick EP3... for it's size..
    Thanks bro, I just check out the G1X which you recommended, seems like it's a in between of 600D and EP3. Which is great. But I check out the Flickr photos taken by G1X, I am still not very sure, is the pic quality comparable to DSLR? I didn't want to spend that kind of $ ( although not slot for enthusiast) for another point and shoot quality.

    Appreciate you share with me more?

  6. #6
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: Canon EOS600D vs Olympus Pen EP3

    Sorry, never used the G1X...if you compare by sensor size, of course lose out to DSLR....

    Also P&S quality depends on how you shoot your images too...You can also shoot using a DSLR and come out like P&S.

    Btw forgot to ask from the start,
    - Which P&S are you using currently?
    - Have you also tried to PP your photos also? Post Processing is also another important part in DSLR (to many).
    - You said you like DSLR pic quality, have you used one before (as in rent or try out in shops)?
    - What is the thing that the P&S is lacking that makes you want to get a DSLR or m4/3?
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  7. #7

    Default Re: Canon EOS600D vs Olympus Pen EP3

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    Why don't you consider Canon G1X instead? Slightly bigger sensor than normal P&S and abit smaller than m4/3. But if you are strictly sticking to the above 2 choices, I will pick EP3... for it's size..
    iirc, G1X sensor is bigger than m4/3 as well. Its only slightly smaller than aps-c

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike
    Sorry, never used the G1X...if you compare by sensor size, of course lose out to DSLR....

    Also P&S quality depends on how you shoot your images too...You can also shoot using a DSLR and come out like P&S.

    Btw forgot to ask from the start,
    - Which P&S are you using currently?
    - Have you also tried to PP your photos also? Post Processing is also another important part in DSLR (to many).
    - You said you like DSLR pic quality, have you used one before (as in rent or try out in shops)?
    - What is the thing that the P&S is lacking that makes you want to get a DSLR or m4/3?
    Currently using canon ixus.
    Tried normal processing but not the photoshop type.
    I have tried Using friend's DSLR (auto mode) for some shots
    I like the "3D effect" of DSLR pic quality. Somehow is still sharper and look more vivid and "pop out" compare to P&S

    And what you mentioned about "Also P&S quality depends on how you shoot your images too...You can also shoot using a DSLR and come out like P&S." is seriously my concern too. Cause I am really not good with the technical stuff, I am not sure if I will ever get a hang with those manual settings. That's y I like the EP3 art filter (allow me to shoot some creative stuff without me going through the setting) but what's stopping me from getting the EP3 is, there is no build in viewfinder( cost $300 to add on) and no flip LCD ( although the OLED is really nice)

  9. #9

    Default Re: Canon EOS600D vs Olympus Pen EP3

    Also consider the Sony DSLT cameras... More built-in filter effects (you can see the effects in the viewfinder before even taking a shot), high FPS and cheaper than the Canon...
    Alpha

  10. #10
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: Canon EOS600D vs Olympus Pen EP3

    Quote Originally Posted by Geraldineang View Post
    Currently using canon ixus.
    Tried normal processing but not the photoshop type.
    I have tried Using friend's DSLR (auto mode) for some shots
    I like the "3D effect" of DSLR pic quality. Somehow is still sharper and look more vivid and "pop out" compare to P&S

    And what you mentioned about "Also P&S quality depends on how you shoot your images too...You can also shoot using a DSLR and come out like P&S." is seriously my concern too. Cause I am really not good with the technical stuff, I am not sure if I will ever get a hang with those manual settings. That's y I like the EP3 art filter (allow me to shoot some creative stuff without me going through the setting) but what's stopping me from getting the EP3 is, there is no build in viewfinder( cost $300 to add on) and no flip LCD ( although the OLED is really nice)
    I think the "pop out" more is probably due to the shallower DOF that DSLR have as compared to P&S. And, for those art filter stuffs, like Rashkae said, Sony have great cameras too that offer those features. Check out the NEX series too...I think Samsung NX series is pretty cool too. but not sure if it fits into your budget...

    Anyway, you won't go wrong with any of the m4/3 or mirrorless cameras/DSLR, just go to the shops and feel it out and buy the one you felt the best. Don't worry too much about the reviews that tells you too much technical specs...It will just confuse you.


    oh, btw, regarding the manual settings, I've seen people who almost exclusively shoot on P (Program) mode. But it's good to know a trick or 2 about changing these settings when you need it.
    Last edited by SkyStrike; 5th May 2012 at 01:56 AM.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike

    I think the "pop out" more is probably due to the shallower DOF that DSLR have as compared to P&S. And, for those art filter stuffs, like Rashkae said, Sony have great cameras too that offer those features. Check out the NEX series too...I think Samsung NX series is pretty cool too. but not sure if it fits into your budget...

    Anyway, you won't go wrong with any of the m4/3 or mirrorless cameras/DSLR, just go to the shops and feel it out and buy the one you felt the best. Don't worry too much about the reviews that tells you too much technical specs...It will just confuse you.

    oh, btw, regarding the manual settings, I've seen people who almost exclusively shoot on P (Program) mode. But it's good to know a trick or 2 about changing these settings when you need it.
    I check on the DSLT like what Rashkae recommended.. Alpha77 is damn cool!!! But is definitely out of my budget.
    I like the idea to adjust and preview on the screen before shoot and seems like they have tillable LCD too. I am checking SLT-A57 out.

    Do advice if you have hear any reviews.

    But I am really grateful for your advice.. Now I got more options to make comparison..


  12. #12

    Default Re: Canon EOS600D vs Olympus Pen EP3

    Quote Originally Posted by Geraldineang View Post
    I check on the DSLT like what Rashkae recommended.. Alpha77 is damn cool!!! But is definitely out of my budget.
    I like the idea to adjust and preview on the screen before shoot and seems like they have tillable LCD too. I am checking SLT-A57 out.

    Do advice if you have hear any reviews.

    But I am really grateful for your advice.. Now I got more options to make comparison..

    A55 is cheap in the Buy and Sell, uses the same sensor as the Nikon D7000... It's smaller than the A57, comfy for female hands...

    But yes, the A57 is great too, with the auto-portrait framing, etc
    Alpha

  13. #13

    Default

    You may also want to consider the Epl3 (comes with flip LCD) or Epm1 which is smaller, but has the same image quality, sensor and focus speed, and is selling cheaper too.
    With the introduction of the new OMD camera, you will find good bargain of the EP3, Epl3 and Epm1, esp in the buy and sell where upgraders are selling relatively new bodies.
    Travelling with my pen overseas in my small messager bag, i can put upto 4 lenses and 1 body weighing less than 1kg!
    Last edited by trelch; 5th May 2012 at 12:17 PM.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Canon EOS600D vs Olympus Pen EP3

    For an APS-C system, consider the Pentax Kr.
    Its unique point are native small prime lenses for the APS-C system.
    Very good price too (~$600+ for body if I am not wrong)


    Between your 2 choices, I'd recommend the EPL3, Panasonic G3 or OMD (OMD is out of your budget though)
    Its low encumbrance due to small size of camera and lenses makes it very good for traveling.
    Picture quality is already very good for most purposes.


    Wonglp on this forum has a very nice photo thread where he used his EPL1
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/land-...rless-pen.html

  15. #15

    Default

    Hello all, I finally decided to go for Sony alpha57. I guessed is not the best specs for the kind of money spend but I am a happy man cause it fulfilled my needs thank you so much for all the advise. In fact it was the advises that got me into exploring more alternatives.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Canon EOS600D vs Olympus Pen EP3

    Quote Originally Posted by Geraldineang View Post
    Hello all, I finally decided to go for Sony alpha57. I guessed is not the best specs for the kind of money spend but I am a happy man cause it fulfilled my needs thank you so much for all the advise. In fact it was the advises that got me into exploring more alternatives.
    Actually it has some of the better specs for the money spent.
    Alpha

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •