Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advise on Best Lens for Pentax K5

Default Re: Advise on Best Lens for Pentax K5

Get Sigma 85mm F1.4 for outdoor and less crowded areas. Sigma 50mm 1.4 for indoor or more crowded areas. I have both and they are awesome

sorry to hijack this thread but which do you guys consider your pentax walk around lens

For me it will be my FA 31, 43 &77. For my walk about lens and occasion where i can take my time

Quote Originally Posted by maldito View Post
    sorry to hijack this thread but which do you guys consider your pentax walk around lens
    It largely depends on what you like to shoot. If u're a macro guy, then a macro lens is your walkabout. If u're a landscape guy, then likely a wide-angle is your walkabout. No point carrying a 'walkabout' lens when u can't shoot what you wanna shoot, when you wanna shoot.

If you're looking for an upgrade to the kit lens, i'd think the DA WR 18-135mm makes a good choice.

cheers.

The lens that is stuck to my K5 is either the DA*16-50 F2.8 or the DA18-135 F3.5-5.6 WR. I use it as my kit lens for normal usage. I also use the FA43, the FA77, K85 F1.8 and Rokinon 85mm F1.4 for special occasions.

For macro I have the DFA 100mm F2.8 WR
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2

Been there, you won't know what you need until you tried some lenses. But, I suggest, 18-135, 17-70, or 30mm. I ended up using 30mm on both K and NX mount most of the time. But I guess it's just a personal thing.
    I dunno!!!
    It's banana-zero-neh. :)

Hi,
    I think if you want an all rounder, the 18-135 is a better choice. It covers most of the base for most type of shoots. Just my 2 cents...

Cheers,
    Rashid
    PENTAX K7,K3,DA55-300,DFA100WR F/2.8 Macro,DA18-135,Sigma 8-16,Sigma 70-200 APO EX DG F2.8 HSM II

Hi there! You really give us a hard question as there're way too many good pentax mounted lenses in the market. If you don't mind upgrading (which is more fun) I wound recommend the 31mm and 50-135 for replacements. However if you wanna keep the current setup, maybe you can consider the sigma 10-20 which is great for landscaping!

Thanks for the reply, seems like 18-135 is mostly recommended here. However photozone's review is not recommending
    Last edited by maldito; 30th May 2012 at 08:50 PM.

Thanks for the reply, seems like 18-135 is mostly recommended here. However photozone's review is not recommending
    It's a great lens as most of us here have it or have used it.
    Pentaxian for Life

Quote Originally Posted by maldito
    Well... There are many reviews for many lenses out there and you will need to know and understand what are you looking for in a review.

Photozone might review it for its image quality or its build, but I have never read it. My take why many recommends it here is because of practicality. Just look at the range of focal length!
    So yea.. Why don't I have it? Coz I'm spoilt for primes, and I'm further spoilt by manual primes..

The 18-135 delivers a "general purpose" range of FL at such an affordable price and IQ... Imagine if you are gonna use a 15mm, 28 to 35mm, 40 to 50mm, 70 to 90mm and 100 to 135mm prime to cover the FL range of the 18-135mm. Will you have the capital and convenience of affording and using them?

And if you are thinking it is "slow", well... You have a high ISO beast packed into that K5..

So, asking what's the "best" lens is a pretty tough question to answer.. Ask yourself, what's best FOR YOU, not the camera..
    Pentax Kr, Pentax Super A
    K105/2.8, Fa*24/2, A28/2, A35/2, A50/1.4, A*85/1.4, A100/2.8, A135/2.8

firstly, the 18-135 is mentioned with a lot of other lenses... hence, i hardly think that its the "most recommended".

secondly, when we look at superzooms like the 18-135, its always a compromise. u will gain versatility, but u may lose on other aspects like max aperture, sharpness (very subjective really), distortion, etc.

thirdly, the reviews from photozone have to be read in the right context: klaus is a measurebator. he shoots charts and draws conclusions from them. charts do not tell the whole story.

in that review, one of his observations was that the 18-135 suffered from distortion at the extreme end... errm... duh??? thats pretty typical of superzoom lenses. he compared it to the tamron which he felt was better but its really apples to oranges - different focal range, different build quality.

not defending the lens or anything - i've never owned it... i don't think it suits me. my "best lens" is based on what i'm shooting. any macro lens works for me when i go shoot bugs, an FA31 or FA50 when i shoot my kid, and i have a DA15 when i shoot landscape. if i'm feeling lazy and i want a lightweight WR zoom, i just grab the 18-55 and go.

so in short, "best lens" depends on intended use.

there is no best lens ever, it only depends on your taste and budget. even if you buy the most expensive lens, but youdon't like the focal lenght, it is still useless...
    I dunno!!!
    It's banana-zero-neh. :)

If there is only one I had to choose DA*16-50 f2.8. It has its flaws (poor AF speed, soft @ f2.8, wrong focus on low light), but when the condition is right the IQ and contrast is amazing, and the bokeh is super nice!

During a recent school event, I only had my DA*16-50 with me and I was at the back of the hall and I managed to capture the scenes on stage. Very sharp lens I would say
    Pentaxian for Life

am not sure if this is the right place for this post... but I just bought my k-5 with 40MM XS from OP
    thanks to all the posts here for your guidance!

Quote Originally Posted by pauliggy View Post
    am not sure if this is the right place for this post... but I just bought my k-5 with 40MM XS from OP
    Congrats!
    Enjoy your new toy and do join the outings.

Quote Originally Posted by pauliggy View Post
    This photo of mine taken with K5 & 40mm f2.8 XS lens.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/repor...ml#post7940102
    From Pentax to 4/3, back to Pentax and then back to M4/3 !?!?

Quote Originally Posted by wrx_sti_22b

This photo of mine taken with K5 & 40mm f2.8 XS lens.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/repor...ml#post7940102
    How do you compare this lens with 35mm f2.4 in terms of performance...
    Last edited by maldito; 1st June 2012 at 11:35 AM.

How do you compare this lens with 35mm f2.4 in terms of performance...
    I find this sharper & faster.
    From Pentax to 4/3, back to Pentax and then back to M4/3 !?!?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast