Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's the difference between CF & SD card if both state 30mb/s (other than the size)

Default Re: What's the difference between CF & SD card if both state 30mb/s (other than the s

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Other than physical differences, I believe that CF cards are generally more stable as compared to SD card, thus we seeing lots of professional grade camera are using the CF card as of yet.

I think this trend is starting to change as technology advances and SD card become more stable as compared to now.
    What kind of stability problem are there in SD card? Camera crash? Hang? Never heard of before.

In the past, SD is slow compared to CF. Now SD is just as fast and hence used in high-end cameras too.

Default Re: What's the difference between CF & SD card if both state 30mb/s (other than the s

Quote Originally Posted by GRbenji View Post
    What kind of stability problem are there in SD card? Camera crash? Hang? Never heard of before.

In the past, SD is slow compared to CF. Now SD is just as fast and hence used in high-end cameras too.
    Camera would not crash or hang, what I mean is, files get corrupted and data lose or things like that. Although I have not heard of this nowadays and everyone was actually happily using their SD card, I think the stability issues had been solved.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Camera would not crash or hang, what I mean is, files get corrupted and data lose or things like that. Although I have not heard of this nowadays and everyone was actually happily using their SD card, I think the stability issues had been solved.
    So far my Sandisk SD Card didn't have this problem, if the Kingston maybe got the issue.
    Cause i am start used from class 3, class 6, now class 10 and the 15, 30, 45mb/s and now 95mb/s still works great..
    Small is good any laptop got built-in SD card reader, that is more advantage of SD Card User.

The CF Card for backup only
    Last edited by rain5533; 12th May 2012 at 12:43 AM.

CF faster but definitely more fragile, esp for the reader.

SD is definitely the future esp with the new UHS cards.

Well, if you think abt it, you would be more likely to mix up SD card slot compare to CF's as the MMC slot and MS slot looks similar to it. CF reader on the other hand, are more vulnerable greeting damaged by CF card as misalignment of pins can still happens even if you slot your card in at the correct orientation. A bent pin is all you need to spoilt ur CF reader. Im slowly converting all my cards from SD to CF due to camera usage, SD is usually my backup slot for two slots camera.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

Quote Originally Posted by shumin77 View Post
    CF faster but definitely more fragile, esp for the reader.

SD is definitely the future esp with the new UHS cards.
    Not true.

first - CF card is no longer faster as compared to SD card, they have the same read and write speed nowadays.

Second, CF card is definitely not as fragile as SD card, reason being the contact points of the CF card are not exposed, while SD card's contact point is exposed and might be subjected to oxidation and stuff like that.

I cannot say that SD card is definitely the future because there are other format coming out. Who knows, SD and CF cards will both be replaced in near future.
    My lousy shots

Second, CF card is definitely not as fragile as SD card, reason being the contact points of the CF card are not exposed, while SD card's contact point is exposed and might be subjected to oxidation and stuff like that.
    You can see the CF contacts doesn't mean they are not subjected to oxidation.

Actually the CF Card design is same as HDD for IDE pin.

The SD Card deisgn is same like Sata pin.

So your just compare new and old design only.

There is no big deal, can used is ok already.

Agree with you fully. but it would be more difficult to get the CF contact to be subjected to the elements (not that they are completely immune to it though)

Anyway, I reckon there really is no need to be worried about all these things. Just see the amount of people enjoying their SD card would be enough proof that there really is not too much problem at all.
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by rain5533 View Post
    Actually the CF Card design is same as HDD for IDE pin.

The SD Card deisgn is same like Sata pin.

So your just compare new and old design only.

There is no big deal, can used is ok already.
    Yes. There really is not much problem with using SD card. And there is no need to worry too much at which is more stable or what. But do note that CF card and SD card might be running on different protocol (I say might be, because I am not 100% sure and I read it somewhere in the net, so you can choose not to take my words for it). The CF card is physically still more durable.

However, there really is not much to write home about as compared both. Just use whatever your camera support and whatever you like (as long as your camera supported it) and there is no need to worry about any other things
    My lousy shots

CF card may still be electronically superior than SD cards.
    Looking at the Rob Galbraith tests, the fastest CF cards are faster than the faster SD.
    But of course, for mere mortals like me with limited resources, I doubt I need the fastest for my everyday usage. So I let my wallet vote - SD card has the best bang for the buck in terms of balance between speed and capacity.

As currently my camera accepts both cards, I'm think of getting a CF to store raw and SD to store jpg (utilize both slots when using camera) as I'm also holding on to a iPad, I can conveniently insert the SD card to the iPad to extract the jpg photos for viewing and still have the CF to store the raw if I need to alter the photos later.

Anybody knows where to get cheap 32gb SanDisk Extreme Pro CompactFlash Cards 90MB/s? Think of getting it to go with my 16gb Extreme Pro SD cards 30MB/s.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12