Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Singapore is 4th most desirable place to live & work

Default Re: Singapore is 4th most desirable place to live & work

It will continue indefinitely to be a congested place to live and work in order to grow in competition with others
    Quality of life drops a little because of overcrowding and long queue causing frustration.
    To resolve this, the little red dot will have to stretch to every nook and corner to support
    its huge population in time to come.
    Last edited by henry soh; 5th May 2012 at 12:34 PM.

It is just another meaningless survey to let people know SG gov want to continue their FT policy

The recent falling birth rate report and aging population report are also "SPIN" by the gov to justify their FT policy and make the FT policy look positive

If the gov continue with FT policy, it means there is no hope of more affordable child care centers for Singaporeans who want to have babies and indirectly cause further decline in birth rate.
    Last edited by Yutaka Go; 4th May 2012 at 04:14 PM.
    I eats, shoots & leaves

Quote Originally Posted by betta01 View Post
    Having lived oversea, now for 2yrs I have to admit that Spore is a good n desireable country to stay in.
    Where I m staying now, things are expensive and standard of infrastruture are low.
    Somehow I feel that those Sporean who compliant abt Spore are those who have never experience long stay oversea.
    Frogs in well not knowing that life outside can be more harsh!!
    I have also lived overseas but there are always 2 sides to a coin.

I would agree with you that Singapore is not as horrible as some people will have you believe, but I would not go so far as to say that everyone else who thinks that it is not a good place to stay in are simply frogs in well.

There are really people who will find other places a better place to live in, whether things are more expensive, and whatever the standard of infrastucture is. Let's not say that the glass is half full, or half-empty, but take a step back, and examine objectively with a critical eye that:

- The glass is half-full AND half-empty
    - Point out why this is so
    - Beyond just pointing out why this is so, work together to make the glass fuller

That's how a society can progress. On the third point, let's just not talk about the bad things, the good things, but take action. I have seen many people complaining that they see many old people picking up cardboard despite their age. Yet when it comes to the amount of people actually doing something to help them out, the number really dwindles. To improve things, one must start with talking, but also follow through with the appropriate action.

Talking about what is better, what it's like in other countries will not make much practical sense, since the key idea here is to race with yourself (as a country), and improve things as far as possible. It's not easy, but I have faith that we will get there. Cheers.
    Last edited by edutilos-; 4th May 2012 at 03:48 PM.

Blog Entries

where would some of us prefer to live and work then if given an opportunity ?
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    If Singapore was not my home (and it very clearly is, for many many reasons beyond being born here), I would love to head to the UK coast for a few years and try to eke out an existence as a landscape photographer for a few years, perhaps.

But it is, and I don't think after the confirmation that there is indeed a strong emotional attachment to this hot humid island that I would ever leave... so I can only hope for sufficient money to go back one day and shoot some of those beautiful rugged shores again (I never felt that I did justice with those few road trips here and there).

Quote Originally Posted by betta01 View Post
    Somehow I feel that those Sporean who compliant abt Spore are those who have never experience long stay oversea.
    Frogs in well not knowing that life outside can be more harsh!!
    I used to be a little happy frog inside the well.
    One day I ventured outside.
    I was quickly caught by a farmer.
    He turned me into delicious frog porridge.

The morale of the story?
    Last edited by Sion; 4th May 2012 at 06:20 PM.

and because this is where i belong

because this is where my home is

Well... At least we don't have any major natural disasters...

some people like durian, some people think it smells and and tastes like s**t.

also, i never trusted in polls, awards and the likes.....the intiator sometimes have a vested interest in it....
    they are trying to convince somebody of something... of course one that i have absolutely confidence in is the press freedom index
    where singapore is ranked hundred and thirty something.....

and does it matter if 100% of them finds it desirable when you don't, or vice versa???? other people being happy does not mean you are happy, other people being unhappy does not make it a sad place for you .....
    Last edited by cws77; 4th May 2012 at 07:28 PM. Reason: s**t became ****

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119
    Europe maybe... I prefer slow pace.. Hate very competitive environment like sg, hk, jp etc...

I dont like to live to work, but I am now, forced.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Singapore is 4th most desirable place to live & work in the world.

Now let's be happy and grateful and complain less.

Objection !!!

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    so I can only hope for sufficient money to go back one day and shoot some of those beautiful rugged shores again (I never felt that I did justice with those few road trips here and there).
    Why you worry about $$$? When you become the MEWR in the near future, you can go anywhere around the world accompanied with your own personal entourage.
    Last edited by 9V-Orion Images; 4th May 2012 at 10:02 PM.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

About the two photos. I was feeling sorry for the tourists who paid so much to stay at the hotel and got such a lousy view. It is not just the selection of random photos. I have personally been to the 2 places (Sentosa & Koh Samui) and seen the views myself. Through no fault of the hotel, Singapore is less blessed by Mother Nature compared to some other countries. I am not suggesting we do away with the container cranes because the port is important to Singapore's survival.

This idea of "4th most desirable" is irrelevant to most of us locals. Most cannot go elsewhere. Whether we would want to, is another story. Not necessarily. When you move to the other country, then you find out all the hidden horrors. For example high crime rate in Johor Bahru.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 5th May 2012 at 12:23 PM.

actually we should all look at it this way. we want things that we don't need. for example, we earn more than a million in a life time.

but when you look those things apart from necessities like housing (a HDB flat is good enough), and public transport is pretty reasonable or a cheap Japanese car, there are those who hanker after status with expensive housing like condos and bungalows, and BMWs and AUDIs. they can't really afford it but to chase this "dream" that marketing creates, they put their bank accounts on the line.

these are the people who are mostly complaining: the ones who are chasing the wind.

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309
    actually we should all look at it this way. we want things that we don't need. for example, we earn more than a million in a life time.

but when you look those things apart from necessities like housing (a HDB flat is good enough), and public transport is pretty reasonable or a cheap Japanese car, there are those who hanker after status with expensive housing like condos and bungalows, and BMWs and AUDIs. they can't really afford it but to chase this "dream" that marketing creates, they put their bank accounts on the line.

these are the people who are mostly complaining: the ones who are chasing the wind.
    Agree.

In an article about happiness, it proposed that people are happy because of the element of being better off than their neighbours/friends/etc. in Singapore, unfortunately, the upmanship is difficult to attain. Most things are affordable by most people, leaving the really high cost items to create the differentiating factor. Stretch for these; private housing, expensive cars, top end cameras; in the process make themselves miserable and then blame someone/something else.

Today someone told me a story about a retiry banker.....visited a fishing village.....catching up with a middle age fisherman......

"why don't you work somewhere else instead of fishing ur entire life in a village? You can be a millionaire like me now and need working no more" banker said

......and u know what the fisherman answered?

"I don't have to retire......I am already retired since I am 10"

you happy you must boon 嗶嗶 (bi bi)

Last edited by ninelives; 5th May 2012 at 12:48 AM.
    Objection !!!

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    You mean we desire the "scenic view"? Check out Rasa Sentosa Shangrila and what do you see? A view of muddy water and rows of container cranes at nearby Keppel.

How can this compare to the view from a hillside hotel on Koh Samui looking into the clear aquamarine waters of the Andaman sea.
    well, according to some of my friends who are into diving, Singapore is one of the only places around where there are still live coral reefs within sight of a bustling port and petrochemical complexes... for such heavily industrialized waterways, Singapore's water quality is pretty decent

The life of a person depends on his thinking

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12